Eric the Marxist

D23 2024 Discussion Thread | Friday, August 9 Entertainment Showcase (7:00-9:00 PM PDT) | Saturday, August 10 Experiences Showcase (7:00-8:300 PM PDT)

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

SW9 got a B+, awful reception, not nearly comparable. 

Captain Marvel had average legs. We’ll never know how a proper black panther sequel with Chadwick would perform. 

Again, there’s no much logic in comparing adult franchises with kids movies. Kids and their families like these movies, ditto why they have strong stats across the board. 

The problem is that many people grow, became less interested in these movies but keeps acting entitled due to nostalgia and pretending they’re still being made exclusively for them. Then they get mad and go online to complain because they obviously can’t connect with the new movies the same way.

I think is fine and healthy to conclude that if these movies doesn’t make sense for us anymore, is likely because we changed, they aren’t largely targeting us anymore and we could move on. 

Of course Hollywood is in a deep creative crisis, relying too much on IP’s and it’s depressing. Still, all these movies are driven by executives and money, not just the sequels, it’s an industry for a reason. Artists always are the ones who find a way to create something meaningful out of capitalism production, sometimes they succeed even in sequels and franchises, and sometimes they don’t.

There are genuine problems about these franchises and what they represent about our culture and economical politics, but i think is also true that sometimes isn’t the movies that are much worse, they’re still good and meaningful for many people, we’re the ones who changed as we grow and that’s fine.

Sorry, messed up the numbering, I meant SW7 leading into SW8. 

The difference is that, and you can argue otherwise but this is what they said, Pixar aims to target everyone not just kids. It's why they don't make or they did not use to make movies that Dreamworks and the others did. They wouldn't make Boss Baby or Captain Underpants. 

Plus the original Incredibles exists so your argument doesn't work. The original didn't become worse over time. It has held up very well and given that it is better than most superhero movies now, I'd say its esteem has grown. Its sequel was dated on arrival being generic and a generally poor superhero movie that threw out the points of its predecessor. 

In any case, being nostalgic doesn't mean the original movie isn't any good and is reliant on nostalgia. 

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

I assume the Zootopia attraction is replacing It's Tough to Be a Bug! as rumored.

They're going all out in updating WDW with newer attractions. Excited!

Epic Universe coming next year has caused more investment in WDW.