AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

50 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

LOL

Yes I do not know why they do it so early. But has been said over and again it does not affect the BO in any reasonable way from week to week.  It may be affecting it on the front end in that more people will get wise to it and not go at all but those people are not theater loving people in the first place probably who may not go anyway.

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yes I do not know why they do it so early. But has been said over and again it does not affect the BO in any reasonable way from week to week.  It may be affecting it on the front end in that more people will get wise to it and not go at all but those people are not theater loving people in the first place probably who may not go anyway.

I think that while I agree that PVOD is here to stay, a 30 day window is absolutely nuts and I imagine it does influence with late legs. A 60 days window is the absolute minimum. I don’t care about Twisters but by my own experience, when a film is released on PVOD it’s not like I will buy or rent it, what I will do is wait a bit longer so it gets to streaming. 

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

you gotta admit those theater doomers were pretty hilarious 

Empire has been on a quest for the last 2 or 3 weeks just ripping into people on Twitter who were calling for the demise of theaters in may. He's been steadfast since May that theaters were going to be fine and recover in the summertime. Lot of people don't like him here and that's totally cool but he's been right, right from the beginning. Theaters are alive and well.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I'd say I'm halfway in this group of people. I do still go to the movies when there's a movie I really want to watch, just not as much as I used to. I just don't have the time and money since having a couple of kids (moreso the time than the money, but the money plays a minor part too). I do have a home theater in my basement with a 100" screen and awesome sound. I love the theater experience but my home setup is my easiest way for me right now. I did watch Deadpool and Wolverine in IMAX though haha

• Like 2

Glad Twisters got over $300m worldwide, but just wish its international results were much better. 

Excellent opening for It Ends With Us. No chance it only falls -12% on Sunday though so it won’t remain a $50m opening for more than 24 hours. 

Decent early worldwide total for Trap and it avoided a 60% drop at least. Shame for Cuckoo. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It still has a better PTA than Past Lives did before its wide expansion

Yeah but I feel like Past Lives had more buzz from it's Sundance premiere than Sing Sing had from it's TIFF premiere. I guess if Sing Sing manages to hit 10M DOM during it's wide expansion it's still game but I don't see that happening

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Empire has been on a quest for the last 2 or 3 weeks just ripping into people on Twitter who were calling for the demise of theaters in may. He's been steadfast since May that theaters were going to be fine and recover in the summertime. Lot of people don't like him here and that's totally cool but he's been right, right from the beginning. Theaters are alive and well.

tumblr_inline_nobnmdlIhN1t894ak_250.gif

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

What is everyone feeling for Blink Twice? Initially I thought it was headed for the Bodies Bodies Bodies/Bottoms route of small numbers in theaters followed by a longer life post-theaters but Amazon MGM is promoting the heck out of it. Doubt it does as well as Challengers but shouldn't have much difficulty being the biggest movie opening over the pre-Labor Day weekend + 4-day holiday timeframe.

I think it looks interesting but I also think it’ll bomb with $3-4m OW. I’m not sure who they’re targeting with it tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Glad Twisters got over $300m worldwide, but just wish its international results were much better. 

Still kind of scratching my head at the the  INT numbers on it. The first one did great OS. Some have said they sold the country music stuff too hard and that turned off the OS audiences. 

Edited by emoviefan

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think it looks interesting but I also think it’ll bomb with $3-4m OW. I’m not sure who they’re targeting with it tbh. 

Not a good summer for Channing Tatum unless he does a bad Cajun accent. 

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Past lives was 10th, though 2023 was a stronger year.

I don't actually think 2023 was that strong for awards contenders. PGA went 10/10 for Picture and there was never really anything outside of those ten that ever got close. Color Purple only got a Picture nomination at CC, which no one cares about. Saltburn was DOA, All of Us Strangers flopped hard.

What was even next in line for a Picture nomination, Napoleon? Nyad? May December? The Boy and the Heron?

Anyone who’s more tapped into the book world, what are some other recent hits that would be ripe for film adaptations?

I mostly only read fantasy, Fourth Wing was huge but isn’t that already being adapted by Amazon or something as a series? Brandon Sanderson’s stuff I’m not sure how well would translate to the screen, but even if it did I feel like a series would work better.

Hoover has quite a few hits. Lessons in Chemistry has already been adapted. John Green’s books have mostly all been adapted at this point.

• Like 1

Those DP and W numbers are kind of insane. I think Joker 2 will do pretty dam well and maybe outgross the first one but it's not getting close to what this is doing.  Speaking of that movie I am going to bet Lady G is going to be doing the heavy lifting on the promotion. Phoenix is no Ezra Miller but he's always been off-putting and awkward when doing promotion even excluding this current controversy.