CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

Oh god we are not going to have another thread filled with arguing over sexism or racism are we?, i can't do with it after the Star Wars thread the other day.

Can't we just enjoy films without all this?.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Social Justice Warrior....

And that the SJW who started the fracas in this thread admitted she has seen only one James Bond movie and then makes sweeping judgements about the whole series only makes it sillier..

A

• Like 1

I actually think there's an interesting discussion to be had concerning huge franchises that are supposedly sexist (Twilight, 50 shades, Bond in a different way, I guess) and why women flock to them, but it was shut down by the very poster purporting to be against such sexism. Oh well, I tried.

And that the poster has seen only one Bond movie sort of hurts her creditbility.

And that the SJW who started the fracas in this thread admitted she has seen only one James Bond movie and then makes sweeping judgements about the whole series only makes it sillier..

A

I've seen 7 Bond films. I know they're all the same and they're all sexist. According to others, it's generally accepted that they are.

Bond has always basically been a male wish-fulfillment series.

Exactly

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

I've seen 7 Bond films. I know they're all the same and they're all sexist. According to others, it's generally accepted that they are.

Exactly

I don't agree that the most recent Bond movies are sexist. There have been several strong female roles that have been more than one dimensional. Obviously M is a good example. Vesper is another. In the past, the Bond girls were often more decorative and more sexual objects than thinking women with personalities (example Live and Let Die and the Man with the Golden Gun), but I don't think that is the case now. Also Bond did slap women around (example, Diamonds Are Forever), but that was part of the character of Bond.He was as prepared to slap a woman across the face as he was to kill a man. He has slept with women to get information out of them and, of course, they can never resist him, but equally if he was a gay spy, he would sleep with men to get information. I don't think that would be sexist or homophobic. Yes, it is a prerequisite that a Bond women must be stunning to look at, but is it really sexist to celebrate the beauty of women on film? 

• Like 1

You make it sound like being aware of it makes it okay, something which I don't agree with.

Let's talk specifics then - what parts of did Craig series did you have a problem with? I'm not going to pretend for a second previous Bond films didn't have sexist traits that weren't products of their time. I've even seen a few things said about Skyfall, so I just want to understand where you're coming from.

The Bond series is certainly sexist on some level. If you're okay with that and/or want to argue that it extends both ways through the sexualization of Bond himself, that's cool

But some of y'all are getting so upset about a fairly reasonable sentiment.

A

Ethics in games journalism?

I think the best way to deal with Bond was how M scolded him and acknowledged him in Goldeneye.

Exactly - since Brosnan and Craig the series knows exactly what Bond is. The question then becomes whether the sentiments of a character = the sentiments of the film itself.

• Like 1

So freaking pumped for 2015. This movie is definitely in my top 5 most anticipated movies. I loved Skyfall. One of the best action movies to come out recently. Bardem played a great villain, and I'm interested to see what Waltz can do! So excited where getting MI5 and Spectre so close together. I've been back on forth on which one was the better action movie Ghost Protocol or Skyfall. It'll be an interesting debate next year!

Edited by FrozenBuff
  • Like 1

So freaking pumped for 2015. This movie is definitely in my top 5 most anticipated movies. I loved Skyfall. One of the best action movies to come out recently. Bardem played a great villain, and I'm interested to see what Waltz can do! Ok excited where getting MI5 and Spectre so close together. I've bern back on forth on which one was the better action movie Ghost Protocol or Skyfall. It'll be an interesting debate next year!

I absolutely love both Skyfall and Ghost Protocol, I gotta give Ghost Protocol the slight edge the though. I'm excited to see how both SPECTRE and M:I 5 are able to follow up their great predecessors.