Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

Grace Randolph has done a video about Alien Romulus saying it’s a dreadful opening and it should’ve been doing Jurassic World numbers….

For anyone who wants a laugh or a headache. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 11
  • ...wtf 1

Last 2 Alien movies (alien saga and prmotheus saga made 140M and 170M) so yeah studios expections for this is clearly 1-1.5B global. Thank you grace for the math. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 1

Just now, cinema pal said:

She also saw a romantic spark between Rain and Andy 😄

adult relationships on a movie?. They also make sex? Sounds problematic to me. 

Edited by vale9001

18 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Nope, Grace was into that. The problem is the character is a brother figure to main character)

9 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, he’s a very interesting example of financial responsibility. Know his audience, know how much he can invest in order to get all back in long term and re-invest in the next project. 

Dude is self-financing his own movies for a decade now and still going strong. He seems better as an executive than a lot of these studio heads haha.

M Night's company Blinding Edge Pictures has a first look deal with WB.  After, this deal was signed the first two movies from his company The Watchers and Trap both have budgets of 30m.  

On the Blank Check podcast one of the hosts did a huge piece on M Night for The Atlantic.   M Night told the author of that article that his was in the black after the first weekend of Trap.

M Night might finance his own movies but he has a buyer already in WB.  He isnt taking his movies to TIFF hoping some studio buys it. 

Per Deadline: M. Night Shyamalan, who produced his daughter’s movies, also self-finances them and then sells them to the studio. In the wake of working with Universal, Warner Bros. attracted him over to its lot. I’m told that the studio shelled out $30M before P&A for The Watchers alone

WB is on the hook for the whatever they paid for the film plus marketing costs.  Similar, to Lionsgate spending $20M for UK and U.S. rights on Expendables 4, with another $20M on U.S. P&A.  M Night is making money, WB not so much.

Edited by JimmyB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Grace Randolph has done a video about Alien Romulus saying it’s a dreadful opening and it should’ve been doing Jurassic World numbers….

That was so cringe and embarrassing. Yikes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

She must be stopped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

53 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Nope, Grace was into that. The problem is the character is a brother figure to main character)

It's funny when a person assume a complaint is exactly the opposite of what the complain really is.

Edited by Kon

11 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

Decent chance DPW can crack 20. Could be close #1 race yeah

For Deadpool and Wolverine to make anywhere close to 20 million next weekend means would have to fall right around or even less than 30%. I don't see how that's going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

For Deadpool and Wolverine to make anywhere close to 20 million next weekend means would have to fall right around or even less than 30%. I don't see how that's going to happen.

Actuals will probably be 30-30.5 or so, so might be able to skate by with ~34% drop. But yeah should be expected more around 30% or a bit better. That would be a pretty typical drop for a well received summer MCU around late August, especially with no major competition/screen loss, coming off of losing PLFs this week, and more school these next weekdays hurting weekdays but shifting business to weekend (these are the typical dynamics that drive such holds in this zone of course, but just noting they apply here as well)

Could creep into the 21-22 zone even depending on how thing play, or might drop a bit on the harsher side of possibility to like 18-19 which is still a solid shot to win the weekend

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

PTA drop for summer MCU on pre-labor day wknd:

cap:tfa -24%

gotg1 25%

am1 -10%

Smh -25%

am&tw -13%

ffh -10%

bw -11%

l&t -27%   

Usual relationship of better TC hold worse PTA hold, DPW likely a 90-95% TC hold 20-25% pta drop for overall 28-32% drop or so

Romulus's success in China is just a start. I think it's a great signal showing Hollywood and foreign movies are finally ready to be back to pre-pandemic era.

Romulus catch or even create a trend that most recent Hollywood titles just missed. It make many audience feel novelty with its extreme violent and horror elements we hardly saw in the past. I wouldn't say the movie shares the best quality or experience, but it proves all we need is something not so common. 

So far, big movies this year like Dune II, IO2 all made somewhere between $45~60M (8~10 adm). GvK2, Boy and the Heron is exceptions. It's like HLW is back to the period of 2012~2013 when Avatar, Transformers, Iron Man 3 were the only ones breaking $100M. And I would say it's not impossible that we'll see $200 even $300M club movie in the next year as long as upcoming titles can follow the trend Romulus just started. TF4 with $300M box office revenue came right after that period.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

14 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I do.

Serious question: Why? Seems like the only contexts she's brought up in here are to either stir pots or dunk on her takes. She doesn't really seem to add much intelligent thought to industry discourse.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Who the fuck cares what Grace Randolph thinks. Self appointed village idiot for LA

NYC. 

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Coraline re-release 3 day over The Crow and Blink Twice next weekend combined? 

• Astonished 1