Krissykins

Weekend Thread August 23rd-25th

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

PostTrak stars:

Blink Twice 3 stars 

The Crow 1 star 

OUCH for PostTrack , a D again for the crew , the second in 3 weeks for Lionsgate 😬. Probably C+ for Blink Twice . Good time clearly for holdovers.

Fun fact: The Crow has been in development since 2008 (original plan was for this to star Mark Wahlberg!). That's more than 15 years of projects coming and going, directors moving in and out, actors getting shuffled and removed. Was all of this really worth it? Was it? Was it really?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Meh thursday drop for Alien . We will see the number for D&W but it will be a close weekend between us for the crown

D&W is at 2,5M , Deadline says . I think D&W will take again the crown.

• Like 2

Apparently, Quorum is expecting Blink Twice to open to between $10M-$13M despite the low preview gross. 

I guess this is the kind of movie that would do better over the actual weekend instead of Thursday night, but I find that pretty hard to believe. 

Edited by Ryan C

A poster on box office Reddit said D&W got back some Dolby screens this weekend.

I just checked by local theaters to double check and yeah, I see some Dolby and 3D showings set up for today through Sunday.

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This is why the “everything should be released theatrically” mindset is stupid. These movies shouldn’t be taking away screens from stuff people want to see

I mean these movies take away the screens for movies that either also bombed or have been out for weeks and have already made their money. I don't think Alien or Deadpool or Twisters are hurting or are losing millions because theaters decided to give Blink Twice or The Crow an auditorium that is likely on the smaller side anyways.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

I mean these movies take away the screens for movies that either also bombed or have been out for weeks and have already made their money. I don't think Alien or Deadpool or Twisters are hurting or are losing millions because theaters decided to give Blink Twice or The Crow an auditorium that is likely on the smaller side anyways.

Yup, looks like at my local Cinemark. The Crow, Blink Twice and The Forge replaced Cuckoo, Harold and Skincare.  

Crow is going to struggle to hit 5M with that number and those audience scores. Even with Labor Day next week, I can see it finishing below Borderlands.

Not sure what to many of Blink Twice yet. I’ll wait for Friday on that one, but if I had to guess probably 6-7M weekend, mid-to-high-teens final gross.

Friday sales for both on Vancouver Island are anemic, although slightly better for Blink Twice. Same for The Forge, although I don’t think the liberal-leaning, non-religious part of Canada is exactly the target audience. 

• Like 1

Will say that Blink Twice's potential was kneecapped when the producers decided to name the movie Blink Twice. Like I don't think Pussy Island is that great a title, but at least it's memorable. What the hell does "blink twice" even mean?

• Like 1

I do think Harold and Borderlands took up space that wasn't really needed when they released. There were a bunch of bigger movies that got squeezed because over 3000 theaters devoted screens to both of them

Edited by AniNate