Eric Prime

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

18 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

1.) Deadpool & Wolverine (Dis) 3,630 (-210) theaters, Fri $3.6M (-26%), 3-day $15.7M (-14%) 4-day $19M-$20M, Total $603.3M-$604.3M/Wk 6

First R-rated film in history to get to that $600M+ DOM barrier after this weekend. Fantastic result! 🙋🏻‍♀️

Any movie that grosses over $600M+ DOM or way, way above that…is still very impressive. No underperforming $600M+ DOM grossing movies we have so far.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I mean it;s a typical labor weekend outside of last year when Equalizer 3 opened  over 30 m and in 21 when Shang Chi opened over 90  for the 4 day weekend. Those 2 movies did prove you can open big movies this weekend. 

Don’t forget about Halloween, which opened to $31m in 2007 dollars and held the record for 14 years. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

It’s more likely that Mufasa opens to 100m than Sonic honestly. 

Neither are opening to 100m. Opening in December means you have a lower opening but better legs. If either open to 100+ that would projects to a 400m-500m total which is not happening.

We look to be about even with 2017 to start off September. In good shape to take the monthly record with Beetlejuice awaiting. I'd like the kids movies later to really come through as well to give a shot at being the inflation adjusted September champion as well

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

First R-rated film in history to get to that $600M+ DOM barrier after this weekend. Fantastic result! 🙋🏻‍♀️

Any movie that grosses over $600M+ DOM or way, way above that…is still very impressive. No underperforming $600M+ DOM grossing movies we have so far.

The Last Jedi

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Don’t forget about Halloween, which opened to $31m in 2007 dollars and held the record for 14 years. 

I thought about that after posting and figured a Horror buff like you would point it out. 😃

• Thanks 1

To catch up with 2023, rest of the year will need to perform at a +43% clip, If Beetlejuice just opens to the most conservative tracking numbers now that would get us back on that path.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Great hold for Blink Twice. It deserves to be seen! 

Kinda of performing like Saltburn which was also Amazon MGM. Open low, good holds. It will probably likely also do well once it hits streaming as Saltburn did. Amazon MGM knows the theatrical release creates an even larger appetite when these things hit streaming.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi did fairly great enough considering that

A. It was never gonna do the same numbers as The Force Awakens or outgross it.

B. Middle Star Wars films in each of these trilogies were known to do less numbers than the starters.

And C. Even though the audience reception was average, the critical was far more positive (91% on RT critic rating).

So I think The Last Jedi did the numbers it needed to do. No more, no less. Nothing to be heartbroken about, right?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The Last Jedi did fairly great enough considering that

A. It was never gonna do the same numbers as The Force Awakens or outgross it.

B. Middle Star Wars films in each of these trilogies were known to do less numbers than the starters.

And C. Even though the audience reception was average, the critical was far more positive (91% on RT critic rating).

So I think The Last Jedi did the numbers it needed to do. No more, no less. Nothing to be heartbroken about, right?

Off a $220M+ OW, it should've done like $750M+ DOM total. Pretty poor legs for XMAS.

NWH also had kinda bad legs for XMAS honestly.

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

NWH also had kinda bad legs for XMAS honestly.

And yet it still did over 800 million DOM and almost 2 Billion WW while the third Covid variant was at it's peak. Do you need to keep mentioning the legs were not great when compared to pre COVID times.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Kinda of performing like Saltburn which was also Amazon MGM. Open low, good holds. It will probably likely also do well once it hits streaming as Saltburn did. Amazon MGM knows the theatrical release creates an even larger appetite when these things hit streaming.

If it pulls a Saltburn that would be incredible, that doesn’t happen often! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

And yet it still did over 800 million DOM and almost 2 Billion WW while the third Covid variant was at it's peak. Do you need to keep mentioning the legs were not great when compared to pre COVID times.

I wonder how much COVID hurt the legs. Probably would've crossed Endgame DOM without omicron crap

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I wonder how much COVID hurt the legs. Probably would've crossed Endgame DOM without omicron crap

Exactly that's why it's not worth bringing it up that the legs were poor over and over again.

11 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It's crazy how much more exclusive $700M is than $600M

Number of $700M movies: 6

Number of $600M movies: 16

Who IS the first animated movie to do that ? It is gonna happen with infl maybe shrek 5 or incredibles 3 

Inside out 2 IS first animated movie to do 650m

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Inside Out 2 is probably going to make around $1.2 million Saturday, and probably also on Sunday and Monday. So it will end Labor Day weekend at around $651.4 million DOM, $900,000 away from Jurassic World's total, so it will take another weekend to pass it.

As someone else said the total is actually higher than that but it'll be passing it next weekend regardless. I really wanted it to be this weekend but the expansion just isn't big enough for that. I think it'll settle frustratingly close to 660 before Transformers and Wild Robot come barrling through. 

Somewhat related but Despicable Me 4 looking to settle in at number 3 for the franchise domestic. It'll be really close to the top 2 as well. Great results and I'm glad that it and Inside Out were able to do coexist for the most part. The other studios shitting the bed with family options definitely helped with that though. 

• Like 1

With D&W surpass 600M , it's the fourth year ever than we will have at least 2 600M+ Grosser ( after 2015, 2018 and 2022). It's the second time ever than a studio has at least 2 600M+ grosser in the same year ( the first was in 2018 : Black Panther, Incredibles 2 , Infinity War).