AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

50 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

umm… Edward Scissorhands.

Ironic Eric forgot about it considering THAT Superbowl ad spoof 

Batman '89 was an unparalleled pop-culture phenomenon and Batman Returns and Sleepy Hollow have become quintessential Burton for many (Wednesday basically did a copy paste of the SH mystery right down to its reveal too, to the point where I thought it was a deliberate tribute to Christina Ricci)so I'd disagree that Beetlejuice is necessarily even among the first 3 of his films that most people would name off the top of their mind (tho yes, sadly Nightmare would probably be one of the first films they'd name thinking he directed it)

Edited by Spidey Freak

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

umm… Edward Scissorhands.

Eh. Imo Beetlejuice beats that one in recognizability, at least long term it has. But I'm also coming at this from the 2000s era, that's what I grew up with for Burton, the only older films that ever really came up for him were Beetlejuice (we loved freaking each other out by doing the 3 times thing) and Nightmare Before Christmas. And then when Nolans films were coming out I very secretly thought of him as the director of the "old weird Batman movies". So that's my cultural context. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

(tho yes, sadly Nightmare would probably be one of the first films they'd name thinking he directed it)

It doesn't help that the full title is "Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas" and then he actually directed Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie which pretty much have the same aesthetic. 

It seems to be an issue for Henry Selick with his stop motion movies - you would be surprised how many people think Neil Gaiman directed Coraline as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kon said:

2% is a minuscule difference. However, you should remember 27% is just for Keaton, while 25% is for Rider and Ortega combined. That's why I find it a little surprising.

You're right the interest in the entire cast has a higher percentage (38%).

Since the percentages add up to over hundred and as Ortega/Ryder were lumped into one option, I'm guessing it was a multiple choice form. More women are likely to check off both the Ortega/Ryder and Keaton boxes than dudebros who must have picked only Keaton. As I said though, the difference is still too small and the entire cast option is the much bigger majority anyway to make much of it.

I actually do think Henry Selick has an animation style distinct from Tim Burton himself, his is much more vibrant and colorful. Not intending this as any kind of dig, but Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie both had relatively muted and stiff art design and Burton likes to model his characters like they're afflicted with insomnia.

The thing is that vibrant Nightmare Before Christmas style is what people associated with "Tim Burton" first, so they assume anything else Henry Selick does is also Tim Burton. People think Burton directed Coraline as well even though he had nothing to do with it.

• Like 8

Day 45 domestic box office comparison between DPW and IO2

Deadpool & Wolverine - $614,037,740

Inside Out 2 - $613,724,182

IO2 is expected to pass DPW overall starting Day 46 tomorrow.

Edited by Migs20242

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just throwing it out there but I think Big Fish is Burton’s best. With Edward Scissorhands being a very good second.

I like the idea behind Big Fish a lot better than the execution. It's still a good movie but falls just a bit short of really hitting those heights 

My favorite bit of random trivia about the movie was from John August on his podcast. WGA rules stipulated that writer names on posters must be in the same font, colour and size as the director's name on the poster. Naturally, the studio wanted to promote Tim Burton, so his name is in big brown letters at the top of the poster, and John August's name is buried in the bottom left of the poster in the mud in the same big brown letters which are barely visible

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHfHlBJzRtMGj6x2zo44b 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

For as much as people meme about Keaton walk ups, I honestly think that Blue Beetle wouldn't have been the lowest grossing DC movie of 2023 if Keaton wasn't in The Flash

You forgot about Shazam too eh? 

I'll always have a soft spot for Edward Scissorhands, but Batman Returns very much comes close. Boy do I love me the "Burton outcasts hated by society" plot line. Wish I could say he should bring that idea back, but he somehow screwed up Dumbo, the prototype Burton protag, so...

24 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Batman Returns has pretty solidly become my favourite Burton. 

I got that VHS for Christmas in 1992 and wore it OUT. It’s now essential Christmas season viewing every season.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1