AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

4 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Said my point better than I ever could lol. And yeah. I can already see it now.

The year is 2065. There's only 1,000 theaters left in America. Half of the country is now underwater, in part because of President Elon Musk's failed policies 20 years earlier. That summer, Jurassic Galaxy: The Squeakquel and Fast and Furious 35, starring deepfake AI versions of Chris Pratt and Vin Diesel respectively, are duking it out at the box office. Whoever wins, we lose.

That feels very dystopian.

Throw in a Frozen live action remake starring deepfake AI Chris Pratt as Elsa in 2050 for good measure 

Pitch Perfect and Tron are great examples.

I was excluding ones that aren't the first and second, largely because it avoids some of the long term growth in franchises (it doesn't make sense to compare a Daniel Craig Bond to Dr No for example). Still, it's interesting.

In terms of what might do it, if Happy Gilmore 2 does get made and goes theatrical, it could hit $39M opening to get it done.

• Like 1

Speed is a legacy sequel I'm genuinely surprised hasn't happened either given that Keanu and Sandra are bigger stars than they've ever been. Sure it'd be contrived for them to end up in some sort of speed-related vehicle plot again but that's why Hollywood invented money and cocaine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

Pitch Perfect and Tron are great examples.

I was excluding ones that aren't the first and second, largely because it avoids some of the long term growth in franchises (it doesn't make sense to compare a Daniel Craig Bond to Dr No for example). Still, it's interesting.

In terms of what might do it, if Happy Gilmore 2 does get made and goes theatrical, it could hit $39M opening to get it done.

Unfortunately I wouldn't count on Ted Sarandos having a change of heart

• Like 1

Not releasing Happy Gilmore 2 in theaters is putting money in a barrel and lighting it on fire. It's completely insane. It's another top ten among the 90s kids movie. Would do like 75m+ opening weekend easy.

• Like 2

Holy Guacamole Batman.   That's a crazy midnight number for BJBJ especially with American Football starting this weekend. The original final gross adjust to 195 Domestic (75 Million in 88).  Again Legacy Sequels are really working since "Force Awakens" if you look at it.   This summer alone you had several sequels doing very well.  This really is the year of the Sequel.  The Entire Highest grossing Top 10 are all Sequels.   People wanted a sequel to "Top Gun" despite the long gap.  It seems BJBJ is getting that love this OW.  

I’m wondering what 2010s nostalgia would even look like. MCU started in 2008, and every single franchise people remember from the early 2010s was from the 2000s. I feel like the 2020s has a better nostalgia angle. Especially with Barbie. 

I can just imagine in 20 years a remake of Barbie. That would be insanely bizarre 

3 hours ago, James said:

Jenna Ortega might prove be the biggest movie star of her generation. I knew the next Wednesday season was going to be huge, but this will only super-charge it.

I won't deny Jenna Ortega could be a draw, but she is hardly the main selling point for this movie (considering the audience over 25 is so big).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Speed is a legacy sequel I'm genuinely surprised hasn't happened either given that Keanu and Sandra are bigger stars than they've ever been. Sure it'd be contrived for them to end up in some sort of speed-related vehicle plot again but that's why Hollywood invented money and cocaine.

probably because those kind of high-concept movies don't really exist any more.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They could get Jason Patric back and make him the villain this time who is angry that Sandra went back to Keanu.

• Like 1

EmpireCity tends to overdose on hopium but I will say that BJBJ is selling fucking gangbusters near me for everything past 6, much more in line with what I expected after meh sales last night.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kon said:

Beetlejuice seems to be a relatively popular brand.

In my case, I remember to see the cartoon first.

Maybe it's bigger in the US than it is here in the UK. I'm fairly into horror movies and culture and I've honestly never heard anything about the original film.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Maybe it's bigger in the US than it is here in the UK. I'm fairly into horror movies and culture and I've honestly never heard anything about the original film.

Well, I wouldn't qualify Beetlejuice as a horror movie.

Honestly, I'm not sure the genre for this movie.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. This.

But upon young people She is cause 68% of kids are females against 32% of males. I can't think at anything could make the movie a thing for that target if not her. 

Edited by vale9001