Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

Sad TOne is underperforming.

It is going to open around Mutant Mayhem, but TOne has [RETRACTED] the budget.

Marketing didn't to know what it was aiming for. It looked too intense for little kids, but too juvenile for adults that wouldn't be caught dead watching an animated TF film?

Bad quality from Bay films didn't help. Plus we JUST had another TF last year.

It seems to be in the same place as Spider-Man was after the 2nd Garfield film. They were able to make a comeback. We all know what this means...

Transformers are now in the MCU!

Edited by Mojoguy

2 hours ago, Eric Prime said:

Because people will look at anything they saw as a child and will be nostalgic for it (granted also vulgar auteurism is the hip new thing to do). I guarantee in a few years we're going to see Seltzerberg get some sort of redemption arc and people will be talking about how Disaster Movie's a comedy classic because they saw it when they were 15 years old.

Maybe, but I don't think that is guaranteed. Where is the nostalgia for Dragonball Evolution or The Last Airbender? Also, we saw recently with Indiana Jones 5 where Indiana Jones 4 wasn't well received and didn't get any sort of appreciation over 15 years and cause no anticipation for another installment. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This doesn't really matter when no one outside the diehard fans is even giving the movie a chance. Furiosa had a similarly high audience score, and yet still tanked for this very reason.

It's still better than having putrid WOM. Here's hoping the great WOM goes beyond the fans. Although I must admit it'll be difficult with another family film opening very soon.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Honestly I feel like we should've seen Transformers One underperforming once they started promoting "come see the movie and get a free poster for a movie (Sonic the Hedgehog 3) a few months away from being released." Sometimes you can just read the signs that the studio puts out there that lets us know they're aware their movie is in trouble.

I got an "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" e-mail blast from Cinemark this week insistently advertising it, only previously got that with Borderlands and The Crow.

Wasn't ever a great idea sticking with its decision to come out the week before wild robot, and now that that movie is priming itself to be the must see family event of the fall this looks like filler by comparison, even with its solidly positive reception.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I got an "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" e-mail blast from Cinemark this week insistently advertising it, only previously got that with Borderlands and The Crow.

Wasn't ever a great idea sticking with its decision to come out the week before wild robot, and now that that movie is priming itself to be the must see family event of the fall this looks like filler by comparison, even with its solidly positive reception.

TOne opened this week.

Next week ANOTHER ANIMATED ROBOT movie opens. Hilariously bad scheduling.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Knocks out another potential 100m grosser from the 2024 till, looking like 23 or so now. Need Wild Robot and a non-Sonic/Mufasa December release to overperform.

Damn. I didn’t even think about that. That means the year is going to heavily rely on Wild Robot to over perform. Here’s hoping the tracking (30-40m) is an underestimate and it opens to something akin to 45-55m. 

But I think Transformers can recover with good word of mouth. Perhaps 90-95 million DOM with good legs like The Fall Guy and Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Plus other than The Wild Robot, there really isn’t much competition for it in until Moana 2

6 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Pretty weak weekend. Only bright spot in the top 5 is DPW. Passed Avengers on Th so only more position away from its final resting place on DOM list

Final milestone IMO is 2x Deadpool 2 DOM ($318,491,426 * 2 = $636,982,852)

Also, Deadpool 3's post-OW gross is going to be higher than Infinity War. $427M DP3 vs $421M Infinity War. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Maybe, but I don't think that is guaranteed. Where is the nostalgia for Dragonball Evolution or The Last Airbender? Also, we saw recently with Indiana Jones 5 where Indiana Jones 4 wasn't well received and didn't get any sort of appreciation over 15 years and cause no anticipation for another installment. 

dude whatever I was exaggerating

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Knocks out another potential 100m grosser from the 2024 till, looking like 23 or so now. Need Wild Robot and a non-Sonic/Mufasa December release to overperform.

Silver lining: it’s possible the whole top 10 will be 200M+ for the first time since 2019. We already got 6, Moana’s a near lock, and we just need some combo of Joker, Venom, Gladiator, Wicked, Mufasa, and Sonic. (Some are likelier than others ofc)