kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Friday | 11.32M THE WILD ROBOT | 4.19M BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE | 3.90M DEVARA I

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I was hoping for 40M+ OW but I will take 35M+. 

Someone at Paramount needs to answer for putting IF and TFOne just before direct competition when both could have been released 1 month before and get weeks of no competition. 

Unless a movie has Tom Cruise in it, Paramount will find a way to mess up and embarrass itself. They even found a way to mess up MI7’s IMAX deal.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Not sure making it to 35 Million instead of 30 Million will make much difference to the basic narrative: a non Disney Established Franchise animated film gets a rave receopton but does not attract a big audience. It is sad that a mediocre effort like DM4 makes hundrd of Millions, and this will be lucky to break even.

It only cost 78M, it’s gonna break even easily. But yes to the other stuff.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Speaking of Transformers, 59% drop according to Deadline. Sad, but not surprising given all the signs. Skydance and Hasbro are going to have a tough talk once the former settles down in their new Paramount offices.

Aye, paramount fucked up basically everything they could’ve here. Marketing, release date, trailer, like Jesus christ. Only reason it isn’t doing worse is because this one’s actually good. 

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

It only cost 78M, it’s gonna break even easily. But yes to the other stuff.

Not easily, never forget studios only get roughly half the money from admissions. it will break even, but will only make a minor profit.

Unless you are Disney, or one of the big establishd franchises animation is pretty hard to suceed at, apparently.

3 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Aye, paramount fucked up basically everything they could’ve here. Marketing, release date, trailer, like Jesus christ. Only reason it isn’t doing worse is because this one’s actually good. 

Parmounting fucking up is why it is in the bad situation it is in today.

Edited by dudalb

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Speaking of Transformers, 59% drop according to Deadline. Sad, but not surprising given all the signs. Skydance and Hasbro are going to have a tough talk once the former settles down in their new Paramount offices.

You’re telling me Paramount’s “get down with the kids” strategy didn’t pay off?

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

I did say last week to enjoy the mundanity of some of the discussion because this week and next week would be a ride. Here we are. I'm gonna let the weekend play out before I say anything on box office but I will say I just watched the Wild Robot and I had an amazing time. Truly one of DreamWorks best and just some of the best in general for animated films. If anyone even has a passing interest then go see it. 

• Like 1

As for storm impacts, at least in SE Florida today was very much business as usual. If anyone missed any films due to staying inside then they'll be out today and tomorrow. But some places on the west coast got absolutely slammed and they won't be back up and running for a while, movie going won't be on their radar. I'm hoping the storm loses strength fast, Georgia is much less equipped than Florida for these things and they're already seeing flooding. Praying for the safety of everyone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

September is a bad time to release an animated movie tbh, especially in the post COVID enshitification world, back to school time is such a hassle for families with so many other things spinning now. Things don't really get better for them until that Wicked/Moana stretch. I will say that if it's kind of a bad idea to release an animated movie in September, it's definitely a bad idea to release two of them, both about robots, in back to back weeks. Pretty inexplicable.

You're on a roll - I wholeheartedly agree with this, too.

Same for IF and Garfield.  

You can't release back-to-back family drawing movies outside of summer and school holiday breaks (spring break, Thanksgiving, Christmas)...if you do, they both are pretty toast.

And robots don't seem to sell right now to either kids or moms (someone is not excited)...

Ron's Gone Wrong was my example on the tracking thread.  Decent movie, but fall release date and robots and you get catastrophic results (at least for Ron)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I was trying to think of any possible competition for The Wild Robot before the Thanksgiving season and then I remembered the Piece by Piece documentary with Pharrell Williams... what an odd concept for a movie.

I thought the movie was a parody when I saw the trailer at DvW...but then my tween boy liked it.  So, MAYBE there's something there?

My college girl and her boyfriend are seeing The Wild Robot tonight...so I'll tell you all what they think when they get back (my reviews will be fewer and farther between as I started treatment today, so I'll be heading to the movies much less, and probably when no one else is there (hi Wednesday morning matinee...or maybe I should have gotten the free Megalopolis tickets)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

I do wonder if the animation style just limits the popularity as opposed to your more conventional CGI look. Nevertheless I agree with everyone that unless you're a sequel animated films will struggle to open out of the gate. At least the films with this animation style are budgeted decently so the bar isn't too high for success. 

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I was trying to think of any possible competition for The Wild Robot before the Thanksgiving season and then I remembered the Piece by Piece documentary with Pharrell Williams... what an odd concept for a movie.

That doesn't look like it's getting a very wide release around here so if it's competition it's minimal at best. 

35m would be a good industry expectation opening I guess. Still would probably mean my club is dead and was hoping we could avoid this whole doom cycle completely. 

40 minutes ago, wattage said:

I did say last week to enjoy the mundanity of some of the discussion because this week and next week would be a ride. Here we are. I'm gonna let the weekend play out before I say anything on box office but I will say I just watched the Wild Robot and I had an amazing time. Truly one of DreamWorks best and just some of the best in general for animated films. If anyone even has a passing interest then go see it. 

I cried like 4 or 5 times. I haven't felt so seen in a movie in a long time.

• Heart 1