BK007

Box Office Theory Poster's Top 100 Lists

I think this forum should have one.I won't start since I have exams and shouldn't be on here anyway but I find perusing people's lists and tastes interesting. There's also the tiny fact of me having seen less than 180 movies before 2000.

Most anticipated? What does that mean? I think tribefan runs that thread from Legend.Wow, really? I thought most forum posters would see more than the average amount of films per year.When I first became interested was in 2004, so from then on I've seen at least 60 films a year, highest was over a 100.So how many films do you really like Iceroll?Either your conversion rate is high or like, you only have 40 films you actually like?For me, despite being interested and watching so many films, probably less than 25% I really like each year. Sometimes I do wonder why I decide on going ahead with watching films I may not like, but I guess I like to watch movies at least in the hopes they're decent if not rewatchable.

I know there are a few members here who will go see just about any movie, but personally I don't go to see movies that I don't think I'm going to enjoy. So far this year I've been particularly picky, only seen 5 new releases so far. And I liked 4 out of the 5, and didn't really hate The Vow either.

I've seen 6 :DThey were all decent enough to watch at least once but Chronicle and possibly John Carter aren't really going to easily watchable faves. The former especially, more of a gimmick than anything.

Yeah, I mean, it's good for its budget, hence why you can see Josh Trank being offered other higher profile superhero projects already, but a lower budget also means if there's any creative integrity, the director will try stage interesting shots. I think the whole wave of found footage movies should stop though. It's a little distracting and after awhile is bound by its inherent inflexibility.There's a trailer out for the Jake Gylenhal/Michael Pena cop film End of Watch seemingly using this technique, doesn't stop it from looking generic like Contraband though.I want to see the Grey, only because of reviews, and Cabin in the Woods. Saw Hunger Games twice, want to watch it again. It's not that great, but it is quite rewatchable. Love Lawrence/Hutcherson (actual actors unlike Twilight and a lot of these fantasy films) and the elements in the world. Still think a better director could have made it a classic. Don't have much confidence in Lawrence and Mockingjay is a mess anyway. 21 Jump Street was quite funny but I'm not sure I know of a comedy that holds up well. One of the prime genres of poor rewatchability. I'd have to vote Anchorman as the only one, but that's also the only one I've actually watched many times and I didn't even like it the first time round. Also saw the Pirates! and Avengers, both really fun and should be good for more viewings on DVD.

I saw 21 JS and THG twice. 21 JS is my favorite of the year, though. I enjoyed The Hunger Games and thought it was competently made, relatively worthy of the source material, but it's certainly not a masterpiece.The Grey is fantastic. You need to see it.CITW was not bad... I do think it's slightly overrated by Whedon fanboys though. The twist isn't as ~epic~ as I was expecting.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

I started my "top 100" towards the end of last year. I'll try to finish it soon and post it. I've been watching a lot of older movies and "classics", so that will help the skew a bit.

• Like 1

I saw 21 JS and THG twice. 21 JS is my favorite of the year, though. I enjoyed The Hunger Games and thought it was competently made, relatively worthy of the source material, but it's certainly not a masterpiece.The Grey is fantastic. You need to see it.CITW was not bad... I do think it's slightly overrated by Whedon fanboys though. The twist isn't as ~epic~ as I was expecting.

I certainly shall, it's out on a Triple Play pack in the US now by Universal so I'll try get a digital copy off someone for cheap.

I started my "top 100" towards the end of last year. I'll try to finish it soon and post it. I've been watching a lot of older movies and "classics", so that will help the skew a bit.

Very cool :) you could do a countdown if you'd like! Of course we'd need more interest though. A lot of people don't even know these places exist on our site.

100's always been a troublesome number for me since there's a good amount of constant shift in my view of films. 150-200 would be a more stable number for me but that's getting too big in terms of list.Plus it doesn't help that I catch up on a few movies each week via Netflix which can throw even more wrenches into my carefully constructed list.

I did one of these on BOM. Though it wasn't very well thought out. It was more like the first 100 movies that came into my head that were pretty good. A proper 100 list would take me aaaaaaages to assemble.

• Like 1

I know what my top 5 are, and if I tried hard enough, I'd be able to get a top 10. But the rest would be practically impossible to rank because I might feel differently about a film tomorrow compared to today. The best I'll probably be able to do is list my 90 favourite films alphabetically and then the top 10. That might also make changes easier.

Well that would be a start! I admit, yeah the lower you get the more eh? you feel about ranks but it's been a good idea in the past.I really know only my #1 :D the rest go down in stages or tiers of what I would group together.

I'm not able to list a hundred, but I'll list my top 151.Inception2. All 3 LOTR3.Back to FutureRockyDances with WolvesRudyIt's A Wonderful LifeThe Dark KnightThe AvengersMinority ReportStar Wars IV & VUpHow to Train Your DragonThe FugitiveGroundhog Day

• Like 1

This was my list before 2009. There would be some films in the last few years that would make it to this list, so for now, here it is:

[*]Jaws

[*]E.T.

[*]JFK

[*]American Beauty

[*]Raiders of the Lost Ark

[*]The Empire Strikes Back

[*]Halloween

[*]Aliens

[*]The Matrix

[*]Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

[*]Titanic

[*]Pulp Fiction