Noctis

Avengers: $18.7m!

While Marvel usually skews older and therefore backloaded i think the anticipation for this will pull it further forward. It wont be Potter forward, but it wont hold as well as IM, even Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday.. Its still going north of 150M though, say about $158.3M? :D

Edited by Rovex

The typical Marvel film's midnights comprise of 15% of OD. If Avengers follows that pace, Friday will be 124.7M.From there, Marvel films usually get a 2.8 IM from Friday without midnights. If Avengers follows that pace, the weekend will be 315.5M

From what I'm hearing, the 3D share came out much larger than expected. If that carries over for the weekend, 190 is in play

If we're gonna dream, why not dream big?For the magical 200m to happen, I think it would have to go like this:18.7m+71.3m90m66m(-27%)44m(-33%)= 200mAnd factoring 50% 3D that's still 13.5% LESS than SM3's total OW admissions.Anyhoo, I still say it will be between 160-185, but where is the question.

For The Avengers to make a case of being the ultimate king of the OW it will have to get 195-200m in its opening. That'd be around TDK/SM3 admissions. On its current pace it should be good for 3rd all-time in admissions.

Which is depressing to think about. 3D is ruining these milestones.

Why should we disregard a movie that had a 3D boost?If a movie convinces people to pay alot extra for 3D is that not a credible achievement.

But yes, it's clear that this is will be much more frontloaded than the previous films. However, even a great deviation from the past Marvel films would set this on course for a weekend very close to the OW record.

For The Avengers to make a case of being the ultimate king of the OW it will have to get 195-200m in its opening. That'd be around TDK/SM3 admissions. On its current pace it should be good for 3rd all-time in admissions.

Really? I don't think it's even going to hit the top 5.190M with a low 47% 3D share is only about 20.2M tickets. That would be good for 5th.

TDKR is feeling the pressure right now.

That one is at a huge disadvantage without 3D. And ghost, do you really think people aren't willing to pay the premium to see a movie they've been waiting for on opening weekend? Opening weekends are all about anticipation and hype. People are willing to pay the premium. Hell, the studios could stick a movie on 100% 3D screens and people would still pay to see it no matter what.
  • Like 1

If it hits 70mil today, then I'll begin talking about the OW record going down. Until then, I'm on the skeptical side. No need to get my hopes up for nothing.

• Like 1

Really? I don't think it's even going to hit the top 5.190M with a low 47% 3D share is only about 20.2M tickets. That would be good for 5th.

Oh you're right. I forgot about Dead Man's Chest. It still should end up in that clump of THG, SM1, DH2, and NM that all around the same.

• Founder / Operator

I would not be shocked to see this reach $73-75 million today. But I also don't think we should extrapolate too much from the midnight number.Either way, I still see the record going down.

Edited by ShawnMR