Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

You really think so? Man, I hope they do. From your lips to Whedon's ears. I mean, the dude likes to write strong female characters. It would be awesome to see Carol do some damage in a sequel, in my opinion.

Yeah Marvel's been pushing her as a big deal everywhere, comics, television, video games etc. I think she's the only female Marvel character with her own comic book right now.So film is the next logical step.

So Saturday and Sunday records will fall. If this was July, Monday record would fall too.

Hey, let's not give up on it. This thing has surpassed my expectations and as observant board members know I'm a comic nut. Who knows maybe the surprises continue into Monday.I just recall how numerous board members could not be talked out of the idea that people were going to line up to see this film. How they tried propping up the figures for Thor and Cap as proof the film would be lucky to do just slightly better than IM numbers.The error of that thinking is clearly being shown this weekend!!!
  • Like 1

Ms. Marvel is one of the strongest members of the team so no doubt Whedon is going to add her. Question is TA2 or TA3?

Wow, the mind reels at the extraordinary wealth of characters that the Avengers universe has that could become a part of the next few Avengers film. If it were up to me, I would introduce Living Lightning, Monica Rambeau, Firebird, and tons of other D-list Avengers, but whatever. However, Marvel better keep Whedon happy, because he has proved - spectacularly- that he has the talent to handle all these disparate personalities and make them all shine.

Avengers just means WB won't rest until it gets its Justice League movie. If Man of Steel proves to be a big hit next summer, then the wheels will certainly be in motion. I'd imagine a Wonder Woman film would finally get greenlit too. It's just a matter of finding a new Batman, but considering the earliest we could now see a Justice League movie is probably 2015-2016, that shouldn't be a huge issue.

As long as he doesn`t listen to his fanboys and casts Eliza Dushku. She belongs on TV. End of discussion.

He wanted to cast Cobie back when he was working on it

Avengers just means WB won't rest until it gets its Justice League movie. If Man of Steel proves to be a big hit next summer, then the wheels will certainly be in motion. I'd imagine a Wonder Woman film would finally get greenlit too. It's just a matter of finding a new Batman, but considering the earliest we could now see a Justice League movie is probably 2015-2016, that shouldn't be a huge issue.

I'm afraid Justice League will turn out like Green Lantern, WB's attempt to ripoff a well-made Marvel movie. First it was Iron Man, now it will be Avengers.

As long as he doesn`t listen to his fanboys and casts Eliza Dushku. She belongs on TV. End of discussion.

EWWWWWWW. Dushku as Wonder Woman? Whomever came up with that 'brilliant' casting should get away from the crack pipe.

I'm curious to see if Whedon hesitates to take Avengers 2, which Marvel will obviously offer him. H

e wants to make Avengers 2 a smaller-scale movie (which I'm totally in favor of) but Thanos is the complete opposite of 'smaller'.

They may as well schedule it for 2015 now, though.

I'm afraid Justice League will turn out like Green Lantern, WB's attempt to ripoff a well-made Marvel movie. First it was Iron Man, now it will be Avengers.

No, don't jinx it. Maybe the money will be a motivation, but seeing the praise Whedon is getting may convince WB that the most important element is a director who truly believes in the property.I want to see a JLA film done well. Let's just forget that the GL atrocity was ever made.

Yeah Marvel's been pushing her as a big deal everywhere, comics, television, video games etc. I think she's the only female Marvel character with her own comic book right now.So film is the next logical step.

Her last series(2yrs ago) Ms.Marvel (cover gallery at link) went to 50 issues and was cancelled. Carol Danvers is basically taking a minor name change and going to be the new Captain Marvel, new costume and new hair style as well. Series starts in July '12.

I'm curious to see if Whedon hesitates to take Avengers 2, which Marvel will obviously offer him.

He wants to make Avengers 2 a smaller-scale movie (which I'm totally in favor of) but Thanos is the complete opposite of 'smaller'.

They may as well schedule it for 2015 now, though.

They can always build up Thanos a bit during Avengers 2 with the gems, and hold off a full appearance til Avengers 3. Which will likely be the last movie with any of these cast members, so it makes sense to go out with a bang (which Thanos will be)

Amazing for The Avengers. It will be a hell of a challenge for Bats to beat this opening weekend (especially without the 3D boost) but if anything has a shot, it's TDKR.I wonder if the Amazing Spider-man will be somewhat lost in the midst of this epic showdown...

• Like 1

I'm afraid of this too. Other than Chris Nolan, DC seems to have no clue how to adapt their characters. Maybe Man of Steel changes this. But I just don't see DC/WB getting Bale, Cavill and Reynolds together. It astounds me that all of DC's major properties are owned by their parent company, yet Marvel is the one who actually establishes a continuity...a universe. And other than a few casting and directorial hiccups, makes it look easy.

Nah, his appearance at the end of Avengers opens up too big a can of worms for Marvel to hold back for the next few years. I think the studio will want it but I don't know if Whedon will.

I'm also curious about how much longer RDJ will be doing this. You can't replace Iron Man in this Marvel universe. I know plenty of smaller characters have had actor changes but Downey would be sorely missed. I'm sure he'll sign on for Avengers 2 but an Avengers 3 would mean yet another Iron Man movie too.

Edited by Gopher

I'm afraid of this too. Other than Chris Nolan, DC seems to have no clue how to adapt their characters. Maybe Man of Steel changes this. But I just don't see DC/WB getting Bale, Cavill and Reynolds together. It astounds me that all of DC's major properties are owned by their parent company, yet Marvel is the one who actually establishes a continuity...a universe. And other than a few casting and directorial hiccups, makes it look easy.

Nolan fell into their lap. Didn't he pitch the idea of Begins to them in the first place? I don't even think they went out of their way to get him. This was after they were seriously considering the disastrous Frank Miller/Darren Aronofsky "Year One" script. They scrapped it at the last second only because it was Rated R. The origin itself is shit though and would have received huge backlash from fans, including me. I'm kind of getting a similar vibe with this new Spider-Man origin. Really don't like what I've heard about how they changed his origin. Anyway, bottom line is I don't think we can trust WB at all when it comes to these adaptations. They just got lucky as shit with Donner, Burton, and Nolan. Otherwise it's been crap, crap, and more crap.