Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

I personally found it to be too soft of a PG-13 movie for my liking. Something right in the middle of the non-serious avengers and super-serious TDKR would be nice too see !!!Why so serious !?

"Just BB quality."Better than TDK. :P

You're one of the few who feel that way and you know it, Red. BB has two things that bug the hell out of me: Katie Holmes(especially at the end) and the 47B-1ME. You make as realistic of a Batman film as you can and then throw something as preposterous(even if it exists and is even somewhat feasible) as that in as the mcguffin? It just feels like the studio wanted a huge ending and Nolan added that to appease them. There's absolutely no set up for it, it just suddenly appears out of nowhere after setting up the rest of the gadgets in the great detailed fashion we have come to expect from Nolan. It feels out of place. The rest of the action at the end makes up for it, but I can't help but feel there had to be a better way to disperse the toxin than that.

I personally found it to be too soft of a PG-13 movie for my liking. Something right in the middle of the non-serious avengers and super-serious TDKR would be nice too see !!!Why so serious !?

It doesn't really have to do with the softness of the rating, it's that there was never really a sense of dread or doom. So it didn't have the intensity because the outcome was never in doubt in the slightest.

Avengers just slayed everything else in it's path. All the estimates for the other movies went down a lot.No other major pic dared go up against this juggernaut. Holdovers only total $45M this weekend which is looking like $230M – or +38% over last year. Here’s the Top 10 (based on weekend estimates):1. Marvel’s The Avengers (Disney) NEW [4,349 Theaters] PG13Friday $80.5M, Saturday $68+M, Weekend $185+M2. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 3 [2,010 Theaters] PG13Friday $2.6M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $8.0M, Cume $73.0M3. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 7 [2,794 Theaters] PG13Friday $1.6M, Saturday $2.6M, Weekend $5.7M, Cume $380.7M4. Pirates! Band of Misfits 3D (Aardman/Sony) Week 2 [3,358 Theaters] PGFriday $1.3M, Saturday $2.4M, Weekend $5.4M (-51%), Cume $18.3M5. The Lucky One (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,005 Theaters] PG13Friday $1.9M, Saturday $2.3M, Weekend $5.4M, Cume $47.8M6. The Five-Year Engagement (Universal) Week 2 [2,941 Theaters] RFriday $1.7M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $5.2M, Cume $19.3M7. The Raven (Relativity) Week 2 [2,209 Theaters] RFriday $844K (-62%), Saturday $1.1M, Weekend $2.6M, Cume $12.1M8. Safe (Lionsgate) Week 2 [2,271 Theaters] RFriday $825K (-66%), Saturday $1.0M, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $12.9M9. Chimpanzee (Disneynature) Week 3 [1,531 Theaters] PGFriday $707K, Saturday $975K, Weekend $2.3M, Cume $22.9M10. The Three Stooges (Fox) Week 4 [2,174 Theaters] PGFriday $480K, Saturday $850K, Weekend $1.8M, Cume $39.6M

You're one of the few who feel that way and you know it, Red. BB has two things that bug the hell out of me: Katie Holmes(especially at the end) and the 47B-1ME. You make as realistic of a Batman film as you can and then throw something as preposterous(even if it exists and is even somewhat feasible) as that in as the mcguffin? It just feels like the studio wanted a huge ending and Nolan added that to appease them. There's absolutely no set up for it, it just suddenly appears out of nowhere after setting up the rest of the gadgets in the great detailed fashion we have come to expect from Nolan. It feels out of place. The rest of the action at the end makes up for it, but I can't help but feel there had to be a better way to disperse the toxin than that.

I don't like the microwave emitter either. I've never said the movie is perfect. It's a 8.5/10 for me, which is better than everything else in the genre. But the first hour of it is miles better than any other live action superhero movie for me. I felt connected to Bruce's journey in a way I've never felt about any other character in a superhero movie. To me, Nolan lost his way with TDK in this regard because he allowed the villain to steal the show just like every other Batman flick before Begins. My hope with TDKR is he gets back to focusing on the title character.

Disappointing that it'll surpass TDK and DH2. Both those films are far superior to The Avengers, and each tried to be something more than just a simple blockbuster. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for The Avengers to be fun and entertaining, but it's just that. And for a film of that scope, it should have had us care for the characters when we didn't at all. I found myself caring for Pepper Potts more than any of the Avengers, for God's sake.

Third act surpasses The Dark Knight? Not at all.