laguy03

baumer's 2012 Summer Game: Domestic Top 12 Prediction Standings

Baumer you have high hopes for TE. Is it tracking strongly?

It doesn't matter. I have faith that this will open to 50 mill. I don't care what tracking has it at. There are a lot of people interested in this film.

I'm sure TE2 will open well above tracking. However I think it will be a close race between it and MM for #11. I could see it doing something like this:

OW: $52m

2nd weekend: $22m (-58%)

Labor day 4 day weekend: $12m (-45%)

8 day weekday cume: $32m

Total: $118m

So if it follows that trajectory it should just barely win.

Edited by MovieMan89

The best comparison here is Inglourious Basterds, which was released in the same exact weekend, and made $95m by LD off a $38m OW... and it had a sub-50% drop in its second weekend. 45 million on OW won't be enough to get TE2 above MM by Labor Day, and with 50 million it's not exactly a guarantee either.

The best comparison here is Inglourious Basterds, which was released in the same exact weekend, and made $95m by LD off a $38m OW... and it had a sub-50% drop in its second weekend. 45 million on OW won't be enough to get TE2 above MM by Labor Day, and with 50 million it's not exactly a guarantee either.

You guys are assuming its going to collpase in the second weekend. I see no reason why it will.

The first one was frontloaded enough already and this is a sequel. It will have a hard time getting over a 2.5 multiplier.

The first one had a 2.9 multiplier. It was hardly frontloaded.

Here's how I see it playing out....I know I am obviously on the high side but....Friday: 21.5 mill (hoping for 1.5 in midnights)Sat: 18.3 (-15%)Sun: 14.7 (-20%)54.5 OWMon: 6.1 (-59%)Tue: 6.0Wed: 4.7 (-22%)Thur: 4.0 (-10%)Fri: 7.2Sat: 10.0 (+38%)Sun: 8.0 (-20%)-54% second weekendTotal after second weekend 100 mill. Easily enough to get to top ten after LD.

Sequel to a surprise hit? Bad WOM? Big midnight gross? There are many reasons it could fall 60%.

Won't have bad WOM and it won't gross a lot at midnight. I've called around Toronto and it's not even playing at midnight here which pisses me off. So I don't think this makes more than 2 mill at the very most for midnights.

You guys are assuming its going to collpase in the second weekend. I see no reason why it will.

It doesn't need to collapse. Like I said, Basterds dropped 49% in its 2nd weekend, also had terrific weekdays, and still only managed 2.5x multi by Labor Day. Expendables opens to 45 million, drops over 50% next weekend (and the first movie dropped 51%), and it's almost certainly out of Top 11 right then and there. In order for its chances to make it not to fly out the window immediately, it will need to open to $50m, or to $48-49m at the very least. That's possible, but not very likely, in my opinion.

It doesn't need to collapse. Like I said, Basterds dropped 49% in its 2nd weekend, also had terrific weekdays, and still only managed 2.5x multi by Labor Day. Expendables opens to 45 million, drops over 50% next weekend (and the first movie dropped 51%), and it's almost certainly out of Top 11 right then and there. In order for its chances to make it not to fly out the window immediately, it will need to open to $50m, or to $48-49m at the very least. That's possible, but not very likely, in my opinion.

And that's why you didn't take it in the top 11. I did. :)