CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

And what does that have to do with my post? He said he was waiting for the FIRST film to sell 100 million tickets.

I'm saying that the 100M ticket barrier is irrelevant, no film is ever, ever going to break that barrier again, unless America hits something like 700M+ in population.

A movie with awful WOM doesn't have those legs. It is impossible. Yes, everyone hated Jar Jar Binks from the start, but the hate is much bigger now.

Oh, okay. Yeah the original trilogy got re-released in '97 for the 20th anniversary of the original. I was only 5 at the time and my dad took me to see them in theaters. I've loved Star Wars ever since.

Oh, okay. That must've drummed up anticipation for Phantom menace pretty well.

The average ticket price in N.A. is $7.92 so a 100 million attendance flick would gross at least $800 million...far more if it was in 3D. Not sure if I'll see that in my lifetime. In my original question, I was referring to current/future movies. Yes, GWTW, Star Wars, etc no doubt already hit that mark.

I think a more apt question may be to ask when he/she was born. :)

I figure everyone posting here was alive when they got re-released. Star Wars has always been vastly more popular in the USA so location could play a factor in why he didn't know that.

I wonder what kids at the time felt about TPM (Jar Jar, etc). Who knows, maybe TPM spawned a new generation of fanboys.

I was a kid at the time that got the OT on VHS then saw the special editions in theaters and then I thought TPM was the best thing ever when I it came out. Now I completely hate it.

Oh, okay. Yeah the original trilogy got re-released in '97 for the 20th anniversary of the original. I was only 5 at the time and my dad took me to see them in theaters. I've loved Star Wars ever since.

Sounds like my first experience with the films except I was 7 and it was 1977. :)

I wonder what kids at the time felt about TPM (Jar Jar, etc). Who knows, maybe TPM spawned a new generation of fanboys.

I thought Jar Jar was amazingly funny when it was first released, but I was like 4 years old when I saw it in theatres.

A movie with awful WOM doesn't have those legs. It is impossible. Yes, everyone hated Jar Jar Binks from the start, but the hate is much bigger now.

Majority of the hate comes from the internet fanboy and die-hards. TPM has sold a shit ton of VHS and DVD copies. It's a passable film to the general public.

*puts hand up*Loved JarJar & TPM was the movie that made me a fan of movies (it was the first star wars film I saw). Until I saw it I never really took films seriously...but the movie made me a star wars fanboy and got me interested in the movie making process, story behind it etc.Of course now years on I can see the major flaws the movie has but I don't feel sorry for the effect it had on me at the time though :) Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 1

I think the damage TPM did was shown in the decline AOTC saw in its gross rather than to TPM's gross itself.

AOTC was going to drop regardless, although not as much if TPM had truly great WOM. TPM simply made too much and it had the advantage of the 16 years of build up and the '97 re-releases helping build hype. Same thing happened with the original trilogy with Empire and Jedi dropping from Star Wars. Clones and Sith did just fine.

AOTC was going to drop regardless, although not as much if TPM had truly great WOM. TPM simply made too much and it had the advantage of the 16 years of build up and the '97 re-releases helping build hype. Same thing happened with the original trilogy with Empire and Jedi dropping from Star Wars. Clones and Sith did just fine.

I think Sith did amazing when you add in the WOM from AOTC, generally regarded at least by people I know as a crap star wars movie, very bland, and uninteresting.