CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

My Dark Shadows showing at 10:45 was close to empty.. like 10-15 people. But I had to wait in line to get a ticket because of The Avengers 11 PM show... so yeah.

LOL Did you post a review somewhere?

Uh, I am not even going to probe further because it will go to a place unfriendly.

Dude, I'm black. The community guy is also black, and he didn't want the part of Spider-Man, he wanted the part of Peter Parker, because he is Spider-Man. Unlike most heroes, Spider-Man should always be Peter Parker and Peter Parker should always be Spider-Man. I'd be all over a Spider-Man reboot where Peter Parker would be portrayed by a black actor, I'm really partial for Iwan Rheon because I think he has the acting chops, charisma and the kind of figure I'd imagine for Spider-Man, but I'll never accept anyone but Peter Parker being Spider-Man.

NEVER. My biggest gripe with Miles Morales is that for him to exist, my favorite iteration of Spider-Man had to die. What Marvel diesn't seem to realize that Spider-Man/Peter Parker is the most universal and relatable character in history of comics. Creating other characters that can be Spider-Man too weakens that, and I guess the proof is you getting mad at me for me cursing on Miles Morales. I'm black and south american, I should be Miles Morales target audience, shouldn't I? But I'm not, and that's because they contrivedly killed the main character of the series I've been collecting through ten years, after dropping 616 with the Clone Saga - and guess what made do that? MORE Spider-Man clones, I'd thought that Marvel would know better by now.

I'd be all over a Bendis book where he writes about a Peter Parker who happens to be a black kid. I'll be aboard pretty much everyone involving Peter Parker. But I don't think Miles Morales was a good move. Petershould always be recognized as the one and only Spider-Man. For me what they did was a huge mistake, one that I'm already seeing exploding on their faces. Is the book successful? Yes, sort of. But that's exactly the problem. Having two characters as Spider-Man weakens the Spider-Man mythos and polarizes the fanbases. This story isn't about a white or black Spider-Man. It's the saga of Peter Parker. The one and only Spider-Man. They could make iterations of him where he happens to be black, asian or fucking albino, but you just don't replace Peter Parker. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me but this is my biggest beef with Marvel right now. It made me drop all the books, just NOW I'm considering to come back, but I'm never buying any other Bendis book again.

Edited by iJackSparrow

SATURDAY PM, 7TH UPDATE: My sources say North American grosses are coming in exactly as expected.Marvel’s The Avengers from Disney is looking to break $100M in its second weekend for the first time in movie history (beating Avatar‘s 75M). Saturday’s number is about $44.5M after Friday’s was $29.1M for an estimated weekend total of $104M. That’s down only 50% from its massive opening a week ago. The projected domestic cume now is $374M for its first 10 days of release. The international figure is $555.2M so far. Disney still thinks $1B is possible worldwide through Sunday for Avengers which is playing in almost every movie territory. Yowza!Meanwhile there was no dramatic turnaround for Warner Bros’ Dark Shadows even though it went up a decent 12% from Friday’s $9.7M to Saturday’s $10.8M. That should yield only a disappointing $28.5M total for the weekend. No day-and-date international numbers yet. Top Ten below is in process of being updated.