Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

3 countries with huge crisis and another where 3D is not liked and Hollywood results have dropped a lot in last years (with some exceptions like MU)

I agree those countries like many in Europe, especially Greece have been hitten hard.  Nonetheless not all movies are struck.  FF6, for example rose from FF5, which was like 2 years old only.

I wouldn't also blame 3D in Japan, considering that WWZ, out more or less during the same period of time did 2 times more and will finish around $19.5 M.

As for Italy, i wouldn't blame the crisis for MOS's results considering that with the exception of Green Lantern and maybe another comic book movie released during the last 10 years,  out of a dozen ones, none did less than MOS.... not Hulk, not even Fantastic Four 1&2..., all three in 2D......I mean FF is horrendous !

Edited by Ent

I agree those countries like many in Europe, especially Greece have been hitten hard.  Nonetheless not all movies are struck.  FF6, for example rose from FF5, which was like 2 years old only.

I wouldn't also blame 3D in Japan, considering that WWZ, out more or less during the same period of time did 2 times more and will finish around $19.5 M.

As for Italy, i wouldn't blame the crisis for MOS's results considering that with the exception of Green Lantern and maybe another comic book movie released during the last 10 years,  out of a dozen ones, none did less than MOS.... not Hulk, not even Fantastic Four 1&2..., all three in 2D......I mean FF is horrendous !

With a smaller budget, MoS doubled Superman Returns OS grosses and outgrossed it by almost a 100M domestically. If that is not good enough, then I don't know what is considered good for a movie anymore.

Other movies MoS grossed more than WW and Domestically include Hulk, Thor, Fantastic Four 1&2, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, half of which had 3D. Let's be realistic and get some perspective, it is good to cherry pick markets which did not respond to the movie when a majority of markets did.

Edited by grim22

Hulk and Fantastic Four were released when economy was good, even excellent. Economical crisis is an enormous factor to understand some markets today.

Corpse

Weekend Forecast [9/28-29]

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 (-) Like Father, Like Son (Gaga) ¥265 million ($2.8 million) DEBUT
2 (-) King of Apology (Toho) ¥240 million ($2.5 million) DEBUT
3 (1) Despicable Me 2 (Toho-Towa) ¥225 million ($2.3 million) Week 2
4 (2) Ataru: The First Love & The Last Kill (Toho) ¥140 million ($1.5 million) Week 3
5 (3) The Wind Rises (Toho) ¥130 million ($1.4 million) Week 11
6 (4) Elysium (Sony) ¥80 million ($810,000) Week 2
7 (5) The Wolverine (Fox) ¥60 million ($610,000) Week 3
8 (6) Unforgiven (Warner Bros.) ¥40 million ($410,000) Week 3
9 (7) Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (Aniplex) ¥35 million ($360,000) Week 5
10 (8) Sadako 3D Part 2 (Kadokawa Pictures) ¥20 million ($210,000) Week 5

Should be a good contest between the Top 3 films, unless Like Father, Like Son manages a breakout.

• Like 1

Corpse

Weekend Estimates [9/28-29]

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 (-) Like Father, Like Son (Gaga) ¥285 million ($3.0 million) DEBUT
2 (-) The King of Apology (Toho) ¥230 million ($2.4 million) DEBUT
3 (1) Despicable Me 2 (Toho-Towa) ¥227 million ($2.3 million), -32%, Week 2
4 (2) Ataru: The First Love & The Last Kill (Toho) ¥115 million ($1.2 million), -44%, Week 3
5 (3) The Wind Rises (Toho) ¥94 million ($1.0 million), -49%, Week 11
6 (4) Elysium (Sony) ¥68 million ($690,000), -56%, Week 2
7 (5) The Wolverine (Fox) ¥49 million ($500,000), -48%, Week 3
8 (7) Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (Aniplex) ¥42 million ($430,000), -24%, Week 5
9 (6) Unforgiven (Warner Bros.) ¥28 million ($290,000), -57%, Week 3
10 (9) Sadako 3D Part 2 (Kadokawa Pictures) ¥18 million ($190,000), -48%, Week 5
11 (8) The Devil's Path (Nikkatsu) ¥16 million ($170,000), -52%, Week 2
12 (10) Space Pirate Captain Harlock (Toei) ¥13 million ($140,000), -61%, Week 4
13 (11) Man of Steel (Warner Bros.) ¥12 million ($130,000), -59%, Week 5

This is the first week estimates have been available since... the first week of August I believe, and I kinda hope they're off because some of these drops are pretty bad. Having two-consecutive Holiday weekends could definitely be the reason behind them, but I hope the holds improve.

Anyway,

Good debuts for both Like Father, Like Son and The King of Apology ('King' and 'Despicable Me 2' could definitely swap places tomorrow though, they're only 4,000 admissions apart based on estimates).

'King of Apology' won't have any problem exceeding ¥1 billion with it's opening, and with some luck, might manage ¥1.5 billion ($15/16 million). A possible comparison may be 'Moteki' from two years ago that opened during this time, and it went on to have some really good legs. I don't believe the reception is as strong as that one, but we'll see.

'Like Father, Like Son' is the one to keep a closer eye on since it's expected to have stronger legs, and has a chance at reaching ¥2 billion ($20 million+).

The drops for most of the holdovers are disappointing, but I don't recall two-consecutive weekends where a holiday fell on a Monday since I've been tracking the box-office, so they're probably just making up for the past two weeks.

Corpse

Weekend Estimates [10/5-6]

1 (1) Like Father, Like Son (Gaga) ¥259 million ($2.7 million), -17%, Week 2
2 (2) The King of Apology (Toho) ¥240 million ($2.5 million), -10%, Week 2
3 (3) Despicable Me 2 (Toho-Towa) ¥207 million ($2.1 million), -16%, Week 3
4 (4) Ataru: The First Love & The Last Kill (Toho) ¥81 million ($830,000), -31%, Week 4
5 (5) The Wind Rises (Toho) ¥72 million ($740,000), -29%, Week 12
6 (6) Elysium (Sony) ¥51 million ($525,000), -37%, Week 3
7 (-) R100 (Warner Bros.) ¥46 million ($475,000), 0, DEBUT
8 (9) Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (Aniplex) ¥30 million ($310,000), -32%, Week 6
9 (8) The Wolverine (Fox) ¥29 million ($300,000), -41%, Week 4
10 (7) Boundary of Emptiness (Aniplex) ¥18 million ($190,000), -75%, Week 2
11 (11) Unforgiven (Warner Bros.) ¥17 million ($180,000), -37%, Week 4

The top films in release benefited from the lack of new releases and the bad weather this week.

Corpse

Weekend Ranking [10/5-6]

1 (1) Like Father, Like Son (Gaga) Week 2
2 (2) The King of Apology (Toho) Week 2
3 (3) Despicable Me 2 (Toho-Towa) Week 3
4 (4) Ataru: The First Love & The Last Kill (Toho) Week 4
5 (5) The Wind Rises (Toho) Week 12
6 (6) Elysium (Sony) Week 3
7 (-) R100 (Warner Bros.) DEBUT
8 (8) The Wolverine (Sony) Week 4
9 (9) Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (Aniplex) Week 6
10 (11) Unforgiven (Warner Bros.) Week 4
11 (7) Boundary of Emptiness (Aniplex) Week 2

*Like Father, Like Son wins it's second weekend with a very impressive ¥291,627,300 ($3.0 million) and 232,655 admissions weekend, down just 8% from it's opening weekend. It's total has already exceeded ¥1.3 billion ($14 million) as well, and the film is now a strong contender for ¥2.5 billion ($25 milliion+) or maybe ¥3 billion ($30 million+).

*The King of Apology also did very, very well in it's second weekend dropping a mere 7%. It earned ¥250,640,000 ($2.6 million) over the weekend, bringing it's total up to ¥818,400,000 ($8.4 million). A total of ¥2 billion ($20 million+) is looking possible.

*Despicable Me 2 brings it's 16-day cume to ¥1.68 billion ($17.3 million) and 1.31 million admissions. It's definitely going to cross the ¥2 billion mark, and probably settle with ¥2.2/2.3 billion ($24/25 million), practically doubling what it's predecessor earned.

*Ataru: The First Love & The Last Kill has been a little frontloaded following it's good opening, but has earned ¥1,504,200,000 ($15.6 million) so far after four weeks. It will be aiming for ¥2 billion ($20 million+) as well.

*The Wind Rises stays strong within the Top 5 after it's twelfth-week in release, and has earned ¥11.49 billion ($117.7 million) and 9.26 million admissions to date, down just 19% week-to-week.

*And the only debut for the weekend comes from R100. Playing on 223 screens, the film only grossed ¥52,823,200 ($544,000) and 37,983 admissions over the weekend.

Corpse

Upcoming Release Schedule (Oct.- Dec.)
Major Studios and Notable Releases

October 05
R100 (Warner Bros.)
The Company You Keep (Showgate)
Red Dawn (Klockworx)

October 11
The Conjuring (Warner Bros.)
Trance (Fox)

October 12
Girl in the Sunny Place (Asmik Ace/Toho)
Oshin (Toei)
Everyday High School Boy (Showgate)

October 18
Diana (Gaga)
R.I.P.D (Toho-Towa)

October 19
Human Trust (Shochiku)
Arcana (Nikkatsu)
Broken City (Showgate)

October 25
Now You See Me (Kadokawa Pictures)

October 26
Beyond the Memories (Toho)
Magical Girl Madoka Magica Movie 3 (Warner Bros.)
Pretty Cure: Mana's Getting Married!!? The Dress of Hope Tied to the Future! (Toei)
Aftershock (Shochiku)

[Holidays in October]
Health and Sports Day (10/14)

November 01
SPEC 2: Close - Crisscross Version (Toho)
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Fox)
2 Guns (Sony)
Jobs (Gaga)
One Direction: This Is Us (Sony)
American Reunion (Tokyo Theaters, Co.)

November 08
Carrie (Sony)
JUDGE (Toho Video Division)

November 09
The Kiyosu Conference (Toho)
Patema Inverted (Aniplex)
Mourning Recipe (Gaga)
Bad Boys J (Showgate)

November 15
The Counselor (Fox)
The Family (Broad Media Studios)

November 16
Don't Lose Heart (Shochiku)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Gaga)

November 22
The Tale of Princess Kaguya (Toho) *Studio Ghibli*

November 29
SPEC 2: Close - Progress Version (Toho)
Captain Phillips (Sony)

November 30
Red 2 (Disney)
Ghost in the Shell: Arise 2 (Toho Video Division)

[Holidays in November]
Culture Day (11/03)
Labour Thanksgiving Day (11/23)

December 06
47 Ronin (Toho-Towa)
The Sessions (Fox)

December 07
Detective Conan Vs. Lupin the 3rd (Toho)
Ask This of Rikyu (Toei)
Landscape of Love (Broad Media Studios)

December 13
Gravity (Warner Bros.)

December 14
Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru (Toho)
A Tale Of Samurai Cooking - A True Love Story (Shochiku)

December 20
Wolf of Wall Street (Paramount)
Walking with Dinosaurs 3D (Fox)

December 21
The Eternal Zero (Toho)
Planes (Disney)

December 27
Hunter X Hunter: The Last Mission (Toho)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Kadokawa Pictures)

December 28
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Sony)

[Holidays in December]
The Emperor's Birthday (12/23)

Edited by eren jaeger
  • Like 1

Corpse

Fall/Winter (Oct.-Dec.) Predictions

¥5-6 billion ($51-61 million) :: The Tale of Princess Kaguya (11/22)

¥4-5 billion ($41-51 million) :: Detective Conan Vs. Lupin the 3rd (12/07)

¥3-4 billion ($31-41 million) :: Gravity (12/13), The Eternal Zero (12/21)

¥2-3 billion ($21-31 million) :: The Girl in the Sunny Place (10/12), SPEC 2: Close - Crisscross Version (11/01), The Kiyosu Conference (11/09), SPEC 2: Close - Progress Version (11/29), 47 Ronin (12/06)

¥1-2 billion ($11-21 million) :: Beyond the Memories (10/26), Magical Girl Madoka Magica Movie 3 (10/26), Pretty Cure: Mana's Getting Married!!? (10/26), Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (11/01), Don't Lose Heart (11/16), Captain Phillips (11/29), Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru (12/14), Planes (12/21), Hunter X Hunter: The Last Mission (12/27)

Corpse

Weekend Forecast [10/12-13]

Posted Image

1 (-) Girl in the Sunny Place (Asmik Ace/Toho) ¥340 million ($3.5 million) DEBUT
2 (1) Like Father, Like Son (Gaga) ¥204 million ($2.1 million) Week 3
3 (2) The King of Apology (Toho) ¥171 million ($1.8 million) Week 3
4 (3) Despicable Me 2 (Toho-Towa) ¥156 million ($1.6 million) Week 4
5 (-) Oshin (Toei) ¥70 million ($710,000) DEBUT
6 (4) Ataru: The First Love & The Last Kill (Toho) ¥51 million ($520,000) Week 5
7 (5) The Wind Rises (Toho) ¥48 million ($490,000) Week 13
8 (6) Elysium (Sony) ¥29 million ($300,000) Week 4
9 (7) R100 (Warner Bros.) ¥25 million ($260,000) Week 2
10 (9) Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (Anplex) ¥19 million ($195,000) Week 7

Goes to show, some European audience is pretty much indifferent to American superhero movies: they all look the same to them.

Goes to show, some European audience is pretty much indifferent to American superhero movies: they all look the same to them.

Still, superheroes improve their gross in all countries..Russia didn't care before 2012 but now it's an important market for them, Poland improved too.

Let's say a lot of these countries, particularly ex-Soviet states, couldn't know these superheroes because they were isolated from the world, so their kids, now adults, couldn't know about them. Some of these countries were too poor in the 90s as well.

Here in France we know superheroes because we got all the cartoons like Batman The Animated Series, Spiderman cartoons but also TV shows like Lois & Clark, so some of them are famous. And even so, superheroes never ceased to improve these last years in France as well :D

So no, European countries are not indifferent, it's all about history and economy, these movies make a breakthrough on the entire continent, but this kind of thing take time, especially in once isolated countries.

• Like 1

Still, superheroes improve their gross in all countries..Russia didn't care before 2012 but now it's an important market for them, Poland improved too.

Let's say a lot of these countries, particularly ex-Soviet states, couldn't know these superheroes because they were isolated from the world, so their kids, now adults, couldn't know about them. Some of these countries were too poor in the 90s as well.

Here in France we know superheroes because we got all the cartoons like Batman The Animated Series, Spiderman cartoons but also TV shows like Lois & Clark, so some of them are famous. And even so, superheroes never ceased to improve these last years in France as well :D

So no, European countries are not indifferent, it's all about history and economy, these movies make a breakthrough on the entire continent, but this kind of thing take time, especially in once isolated countries.

Superheroes are an American-specific invention. Although some like THOR is straight out of the oldest of Scandinavian mythology. SUPERMAN is modeled after Zeus and Apollo, and  Wonder Woman after Artemis or Diana the Huntress.

But you can understand why Potter, Pirates and Hobbits are more popular in Europe than Superman or Fantastic Four/X-Men.

Superheroes are an American-specific invention. Although some like THOR is straight out of the oldest of Scandinavian mythology. SUPERMAN is modeled after Zeus and Apollo, and  Wonder Woman after Artemis or Diana the Huntress.

But you can understand why Potter, Pirates and Hobbits are more popular in Europe than Superman or Fantastic Four/X-Men.

That's why they promoted The Avengers and Iron Man almost as sci-fi movies here in Russia. Thor as a fantasy movie. 

Edited by juni78ukr

Superhero movies are more and more popular in Europe, that's the point. They have an ever-growing public.