Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I'll go out on a limb and say Frozen will have the #1 10th weekend ever in Japan. ;)

That will go nicely with its record 8th and 9th weekend titles.

Frozen should stay #1 for a while, but could also keep setting records for these late run weekends. 10 weekends and counting over 7m, totally unprecedented.

Toho+109+Kinezo+Movix Today vs past Saturday Pos Adm   Seats SW %L/W*1 93945 276998 815 *97.9% Frozen*2 34078 *51252 138   ******  Gundam*3 26717 156025 728 *74.7% Thermae Romae 2*4 16067 *70400 360   ******  Yami-kin Ushijima-kun 2 (?)*5 12804 *67552 389 *61.6%  Conan*6 12086 *78416 467 *70.1%  Amazing Spiderman

It show 97.9% of last week, however 6000 needs to be backed out before market share multiple for 109 discount boost.Last week95969 - 6000 x  2.78 = 250113 admissions This sat93945 x 2.78 = 261167 Edited by T E Lawrence

if it increases this week its just crazy. Dont know what to say. At least we can lock it beating SA USD gross. I dont think how anyone can go lower than that after this weekend and no competition for a while. BTW I was looking at school holidays in Japan and I see a week of summer half term holidays starting next week. How will that benefit Frozen's weekdays. http://myschoolholidays.com/The-Japanese-School-15161

if its like spring break then the midweek will :bump: 80-100%. Maybe catlover knows

if its like spring break then the midweek will :bump: 80-100%. Maybe catlover knows

All students have spring break, but I don't remember anything about half term holidays in college, so maybe those are for high school students or younger. So even if there's a bump midweek, it won't be as big as SB.

For a heavily WOM-driven movie with broad appeal, the proper metaphor for a week with lots of views isn't "burning off interest".  It's "stoking the flames".

Curious after this number. still "not happening" or is an upgrade coming from you?

maybe not next weekend. It could drop 30%. :o

Why would it have such a steep drop?

I think he is channeling his inner "Corpse" in that post ;)

He kept predicting drops like that...

Edited by chuck0

;

I think he is channeling his inner "Corpse" in that post ;)He kept predicting drops like that...

Lol youre right. It was both a poke at corpse and to make Omni twitch for a second :pWhat now, 8.4m next weekend? Jaws ET SW and SA didnt have an up move like this.

Can someone explain why Spirited Away made so much money in Japan? I watched it a while back and thought it was a cute movie, but there was no indication why it would become such a blockbuster. :blink::ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

Can someone explain why Spirited Away made so much money in Japan? I watched it a while back and thought it was a cute movie, but there was no indication why it would become such a blockbuster. :blink::ph34r:

Just like Frozen it hit a nerve in the general public. There are themes of hard honest work and dedication in there that probably resonated very strongly with the Japanese. Plus for me it is one of the best (if not the best) animated movie(s) period :P

In the 90s, Miyazaki successfully became a crossover director, from doing things that were popular with the anime crowd and semi-popular with the general public to stuff that was cutting across and appealing to all levels in a big way. When Mononoke-Hime became the biggest film of all time, it was huge news (especially because it was such a mature film). Spirited Away was his next film and had clicked on just about every level. His films since the have tailed off a bit in popularity (HMC wasn't as big, Ponyo a bit smaller still, and The Wind Rises even less, though all three films were undeniably huge), though the influence of SA can be seen in the monster first weekend of HMC.

Plus, yeah, it's an absolutely fantastic film. Arguably it's better than any film that was up for Best Picture in 2002, not just Best Animated Feature.

I liked SA when I watched it but there are still parts of it that don't make sense to me. I guess this is just because of cultural differences, but I find that some parts of the plot in Miyazaki films are unexplained. The chain of events is sometimes illogical and questions remain unanswered. I don't know if this is just because of the symbolic nature of his films, but I find it difficult to fully understand the plot. (Note: I've seen SA, HMC, Arrietty, TWR and Ponyo. The above obviously don't apply to the same extent to all films)

Edited by Quigley

Presale Numbers Sunday 5/18 - Toho Some Theaters

Theater               5/18 (Today)           5/11 (Last Sun)  

Shibuya           1061 / 1359 (78.0%)       955 / 1296 (73.6%)    

Nihonbashi        1129 / 3584 (31.5%)      1071 / 2226 (48.1%)    

Roppongi           816 / 3457 (23.6%)       776 / 2342 (33.1%)  

Yurakucho Hibiya   831 / 3270 (25.4%)      1044 / 3270 (31.9%)      

*Total            3837 / 11670 (32.8%)     3846 / 9134 (42.1%)

*prediction... 56500--58000 [Toho Admissions]

-But, 3 Cinemas increase! so, maybe 59000~ range will be more likely. ;) 

*4 Cinemas Presale x (Shibuya+Roppongi+Nihonbashi+Hibiya)

Yesterday Sat.5/17....3453 / 12540- 26.5% (Toho 51979 x15.05)
-Saturday_____5/3.... 5630 / 11864 -47.4% (Toho 82960 x14.7)

Last Sunday  5/11.....3846 / 9134 - 42.1% (Toho 57118 x14.85)
-Sunday______5/4......7150 / 10106--70.7% (Toho 96537 x13.5)
Edited by Hans13

I liked SA when I watched it but there are still parts of it that don't make sense to me. I guess this is just because of cultural differences, but I find that some parts of the plot in Miyazaki films are unexplained. The chain of events is sometimes illogical and questions remain unanswered. I don't know if this is just because of the symbolic nature of his films, but I find it difficult to fully understand the plot. (Note: I've seen SA, HMC, Arrietty, TWR and Ponyo. The above obviously don't apply to the same extent to all films)

What did you find was unanswered or illogical?

(Note, Arrietty wasn't one of his films, but was directed by Yonebayashi. Miyazaki was one of the writers for it, though, and Yonebayashi is his hand-picked successor.)

Personal rankings of Miyazaki's films:

1. Kiki's Delivery Service

2. Spirited Away

3. The Castle of Cagliostro

4. Princess Mononoke

5. My Neighbor Totoro

6. Ponyo

7. Porco Rosso

8. Howl's Moving Castle

9. The Wind Rises

10. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

11. Castle in the Sky

It's been a long time since I've seen Totoro, Nausicaa, or Laputa, though, so I might switch those around. Even so, that is an insane run of quality for a director, among the best ever, for live action or animation.