JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Widest-Opening Day Releases - Toho Cinemas [# of showings since 2013]
608 - Monsters University (07/06/13)
600 - Memories of Marnie (07/19/14)
566 - The Wind Rises (07/20/13)
555 - Maleficent (07/05/14)
547 - Midsummer Equation (06/29/13)
522 - Frozen (03/15/14)

Marnie certainly has enough required showings to deliver at the box-office.  It's widest release this year at Toho Cinemas, and their widest since Monsters University.  Now we have to see if its non-fantasy story can produce a bit hit.  600 showings is very, very high without 3D or subtitled showings increasing the overall number.  

Non-fantasy story? Doesn't Memories of Marnie have a ghost in it? :blink:

I believe it's open-ended.  Marnie is supposed to be a ghost, but I don't think the story makes it 100% clear.  I don't think having a ghost in a movie makes it fantasy in Japan, anyway.  Most Japanese believe in spirits as part of the Shinto religion, so...  And nothing in the story, as far as I know, has any fantasy elements.  

Studio Ghibli has been making mostly reality based films in recent years.  Ponyo (2008) was their last heavy fantasy film.  Arrietty (2010) has tiny people, but besides them, there's no fantasy elements in the story.  And then Poppy Hill (2011), The Wind Rises (2013) and Princess Kaguya (2013) are much more realistic than most of their earlier films.    

Miyazaki suggested that the studio adapt When Marnie Was There in the past, and it's among his top recommended children books, but he also said didn't think he'd be capable of adapting it into a film because the characters and story was too reality based or something in the past.    

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

I believe it's open-ended.  Marnie is supposed to be a ghost, but I don't think the story makes it 100% clear.  I don't think having a ghost in a movie makes it fantasy in Japan, anyway.  Most Japanese believe in spirits as part of the Shinto religion, so...  And nothing in the story, as far as I know, has any fantasy elements.

That's good to hear about Japan about how they handle movies with spirits.

In America

Movie with ghost = Automatically a horror movie

:lol:

All time Blu-ray sales in Japan

Frozen -  661k units (1 day)

Evangelion 2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE - 465k (2010)

Evangelion 3.0 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO - 403k(2013)

Michael Jackson's This is it -  358k (2010)

Pirates of the Caribbean IV - 245k(2011)

:o  :o  :o

This is amazing. Over 1 million Blu-ray sales ($ 40 to $50 million) in Japan is possible.

How good are the DVD Sales ?

There are chances for Frozen to be the highest sold Blu-ray Worldwide. It is currently at #2 in USA and will beat Avatar by the end of the year to claim #1 spot.

USA Sales: http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

Amazon USA reviews (10k+): http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B00G5G7K7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1405559801&sr=1-1&keywords=frozen

Edited by Annayya

Pokemon (Box-Office History)
Posted Image

Opening Weekends:
¥780,871,178 ($6.5 million) / 742,978 :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2007)
¥703,799,691 ($6.7 million) / 670,285  :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2008)
¥672,566,497 ($7.1 million) / 641,700 :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus - To a Conquering Spacetime (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2009)
¥629,740,742 ($7.7 million) / 600,602  :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Master of Illusions - Zoroark (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2010)
¥540,152,537 ($6.7 million) / 515,905 :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Victini and the Black Hero - Zekrom/Victini and the White Hero - Reshiram (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2011)
¥515,192,258 ($4.7 million) / 491,192 :: Pokemon Advanced: Mew and the Wave Hero - Lucario (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2005)
¥509,142,046 ($6.4 million) / 489,862 :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2012) 
¥500,186,988 ($4.6 million) / 475,462 :: Pokemon Advanced: Deoxys - Sky-Splitting Visitor (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2004)
¥486,293,500 ($5.0 million) / 464,839 :: Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2013)
¥450,168,289 ($3.8 million) / 427,104 :: Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishing Star of Seven Nights (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2003)
¥416,381,335 ($3.6 million) / 396,472 :: Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2006)
¥380,549,045 ($3.1 million) / 354,328 :: Pokemon: Celebi - A Timeless Encounter (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2001)
¥292,607,438 ($2.4 million) / 273,209 :: Pokemon: Guardians of Altomare - Latias and Latios (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2002)

Totals:
¥7.54 billion ($77.8 million) / 6.54 million :: Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1998)
¥6.36 billion ($64.8 million) / 5.60 million :: Pokemon: Revelation Lugia (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1999)
¥5.02 billion ($47.2 million) / 4.78 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2007)
¥4.85 billion ($45.7 million) / 4.50 million :: Pokemon: Lord of the Unown Tower - Entei (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2000)
¥4.80 billion ($53.3 million) / 4.66 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2008)
¥4.67 billion ($51.6 million) / 4.40 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus - To a Conquering Spacetime (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2009)
¥4.50 billion ($38.4 million) / 4.28 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishing Star of Seven Nights (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2003)
¥4.38 billion ($39.1 million) / 4.16 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Deoxys - Sky-Splitting Visitor (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2004)
¥4.33 billion ($56.1 million) / 4.13 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Victini and the Black Hero - Zekrom/Victini and the White Hero - Reshiram (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2011)
¥4.30 billion ($38.9 million) / 4.10 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Mew and the Wave Hero - Lucario (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2005)
¥4.16 billion ($50.3 million) / 3.97 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Master of Illusions - Zoroark (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2010)
¥3.90 billion ($32.5 million) / 3.63 million :: Pokemon: Celebi - A Timeless Encounter (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2001)
¥3.61 billion ($46.0 million) / 3.44 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2012)
¥3.40 billion ($28.2 million) / 3.23 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea (Kunihiko Yuyamai, July 2006)
¥3.17 billion ($33.0 million) / 3.01 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2013) 
¥2.67 billion ($21.8 million) / 2.55 million :: Pokemon: Guardians of Altomare - Latias and Latios (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2002)
Franchise Total: ¥71.66 billion ($724.7 million) / 66.78 million admissions

NEXT:
Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (July 19th, 2014)
Posted Image
  • Like 3

Frozen is biggest ever also in video on demand:"Frozen was already available one day earlier on Tuesday on video-on-demand sites, and virtually all of these sites reported that the movie set all-time records. Google Play reported that Frozen had 17 times more as many views as Monsters University, thus setting an all-time record for the service. Amazon Instant Video, Tsutaya TV and Rakuten ShowTime also reported that the movie shattered all-time records. In four days, Frozen topped the number of downloads Toy Story 3 garnered in one year."

Edited by edroger
  • Like 3

That's good to hear about Japan about how they handle movies with spirits.

In America

Movie with ghost = Automatically a horror movie

:lol:

Ghost (1990)

Posted Image

The Lovely Bones (2009)

Posted Image

Horror movies?

Edited by edroger
  • Like 1

Today, Frozen 's TOHO number is 2% plus from last Thursday...

All the other movies drop.

That is just insane.

Can anyone explain to me again why Japanese girls love Frozen that much? What this movie has that set it far above the other movies in their eyes? I just don't get it at all. I know the movie is girly and cute and all but this level of adoration is just beyond normal.

Or do I have to be a girly girl to understand it?

Despite tons of Dvd and Bluray sold, millions of digital downloads and 19 week in release it is still in 4th.

According to what happened in the US, Frozen should have suffered from a sharp drop these days...

But it is so amazing....

The so-called DVD/BD effect should kill the boxoffice...but Frozen reversed the trend ...

• Like 4

That is just insane. Can anyone explain to me again why Japanese girls love Frozen that much? What this movie has that set it far above the other movies in their eyes? I just don't get it at all. I know the movie is girly and cute and all but this level of adoration is just beyond normal. Or do I have to be a girly girl to understand it?

Do you realise that it's ridiculous at this point to claim that girls are the only audience? The movie clearly reached a far wider demographic.
  • Like 6

Do you realise that it's ridiculous at this point to claim that girls are the only audience? The movie clearly reached a far wider demographic.

OK then, why do Japanese PEOPLE love it so much? Does that sound better?

And please don't take this the wrong way, I'm really curious.

According to what happened in the US, Frozen should have suffered from a sharp drop these days...

But it is so amazing....

The so-called DVD/BD effect should kill the boxoffice...but Frozen reversed the trend ...

This confirms that the DVD announcement, as I have always said, did not have so much influence on the drop of the past weeks. Remains to be seen what will happen on Saturday with the release of Pokemon and Marnie.

• Like 1

Precisely. Frozen crossed over and appeals to literally every demographic. Families, teens, young couples, seniors and, of course, young girls. While girls and young women probably still made up the majority of the audience, it wasn't an overwhelming majority, the crowds I saw were very mixed.

Hell, I'm a middle aged construction worker, about as far from the expected demographic as you can get, but I adore this movie.

• Like 7

Precisely. Frozen crossed over and appeals to literally every demographic. Families, teens, young couples, seniors and, of course, young girls. While girls and young women probably still made up the majority of the audience, it wasn't an overwhelming majority, the crowds I saw were very mixed.

Hell, I'm a middle aged construction worker, about as far from the expected demographic as you can get, but I adore this movie.

I don't doubt it's appeal. The number and longevity of the movie speaks for itself. I just want to know why. I don't want to jump into conclusion that Japanese people are such softies they love everything that cute because that'd be a shallow assumption. I know there's more to the movie than sweet songs and pretty visual.