Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 **2422 マレフィセント (Mal)
 *2 ***729 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・… (EOT)
 *3 ***697 アナと雪の女王 Frozen

Two new openers, but Frozen still in the third place.....

Frozen needs more of DAT Japan cash. :ph34r:

So Japan is a very strange country: movies dropped more for dvd announcement than for dvd and vod release.

Yes.  How difficult is this to understand?  

Moviegoers in Japan are INCREDIBLY patient.  Frozen has a 33x multiplier for crying out loud.  They will wait MONTHS to see a movie.  That is why Frozen was doing $12 million per week MONTHS after its release.  

So if a certain Japanese moviegoer is willing to wait 3+ months to watch a movie, he or she could EASILY wait another 6 weeks to catch the movie on DVD/bluray.  That is why you saw the enormous drop from $12 million to half that in two weeks.  These are the casual fans.

Now certain people will still want to watch in theaters or are repeat viewers (which is rarer in Japan from what i've read).  These are the people who are supporting Frozen now in theaters.  The rabid, fanatic fans who will probably watch the movie and then go buy the bluray after.  Or those who may already own/viewed the bluray but want to experience Frozen in a theater.  

So, do you finally understand this?  lol.

Edited by katniss
  • Like 1

Yes.  How difficult is this to understand?  

Moviegoers in Japan are INCREDIBLY patient.  Frozen has a 33x multiplier for crying out loud.  They will wait MONTHS to see a movie.  That is why Frozen was doing $12 million per week MONTHS after its release.  

So if a certain Japanese moviegoer is willing to wait 3+ months to watch a movie, he or she could EASILY wait another 6 weeks to catch the movie on DVD/bluray.  That is why you saw the enormous drop from $12 million to half that in two weeks.  These are the casual fans.

Now certain people will still want to watch in theaters or are repeat viewers (which is rarer in Japan from what i've read).  These are the people who are supporting Frozen now in theaters.  The rabid, fanatic fans who will probably watch the movie and then go buy the bluray after.  Or those who may already own/viewed the bluray but want to experience Frozen in a theater.  

So, do you finally understand this?  lol.

The fact is that the "enormous drop" you speak of does not exist. Look at the graph:

Posted Image

the decline in average (black line) has maintained the same trend from the fourth to the eighteenth week. Deviations in more and less represented by the yellow areas (due to holiday weeks) are equivalent (under and over the black line).

Edited by edroger
  • Like 2

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名] *1 **2422 マレフィセント (Mal) *2 ***729 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・… (EOT) *3 ***697 アナと雪の女王 Frozen Two new openers, but Frozen still in the third place.....

Very low numbers. What is this? Early friday?
  • Like 1

Very low numbers. What is this? Early friday?

Yes, let you see evening number:

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 *23545 マレフィセント
 *2 **6902 好きっていいなよ。
 *3 **4957 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・…
 *4 **4096 アナと雪の女王
 *5 **2982 超高速!参勤交代

No kidding, Frozen will have a 10% up TOHO number from last Friday. We'll know the actual result an hour later.
  • Like 5

Yes, let you see evening number: [順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名] *1 *23545 マレフィセント *2 **6902 好きっていいなよ。 *3 **4957 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・… *4 **4096 アナと雪の女王 *5 **2982 超高速!参勤交代 No kidding, Frozen will have a 10% up TOHO number from last Friday. We'll know the actual result an hour later.

Thank You.

With the coming of summer, it is very easily for Japanese people to see Frozen's product in the convenience stores, such as

bread, ice cream ...and so on. You can even make purchases of Frozen stamps.

My friend visited Japan last week with his two daughters and these two girls asked my friend to buy them

Elsa bread and ice cream....

Perhaps the availability of all kinds of Frozen's product is another factor to help the great hold

of its box-office.

They have Frozen bread and ice cream?!  Well, ice cream I can see, but bread?! Jeez, Frozen really is taking over!  :o 

And nice to see that its box office is actually still making a decent amount even with the DVD release!  Sure, $6 million a week is quite a bit less than $12 million a week, but the fact that it's even getting several million a week even after the DVD announcement/release instead of dropping like stone as it did in America... it's incredible.:o

They have Frozen bread and ice cream?!  Well, ice cream I can see, but bread?! Jeez, Frozen really is taking over!   :o

And nice to see that its box office is actually still making a decent amount even with the DVD release!  Sure, $6 million a week is quite a bit less than $12 million a week, but the fact that it's even getting several million a week even after the DVD announcement/release instead of dropping like stone as it did in America... it's incredible. :o

Posted Image

HAHA! How do u like it ?

• Like 5

They have Frozen bread and ice cream?!  Well, ice cream I can see, but bread?! Jeez, Frozen really is taking over!   :o

And nice to see that its box office is actually still making a decent amount even with the DVD release!  Sure, $6 million a week is quite a bit less than $12 million a week, but the fact that it's even getting several million a week even after the DVD announcement/release instead of dropping like stone as it did in America... it's incredible. :o

Posted Image

Of course, Elsa is also here ! People say Elsa bread sells better than Anna ~~

• Like 5

why are japanese people still watching frozen? well, I think that the most powerful element of frozen besides the story and the animation, is the songs! I have always thought that! you want to listen to the songs over and over again and singalong with it. and japanese love musicals a lot!!! maybe that is the reason they still go to see it! but that is just my thoughts!

I think it's because Elsa and Anna have personalities that Japanese people like. Elsa is cool and quiet while Anna is fun and clumsy. A lot of animes and manga have two main protagonists that have the same kind of personalities just like Elsa and Anna. Another thing I have heard is they relate Elsa with Hikikomori culture. Also the fact that Frozen has catchy songs, good visuals, heartwarming story, cute and hot characters definitely helps the movie. ;)

I think it might have something to do with Elsa.

Posted Image

Yeah, Elsa is a beloved character, especially with little girls.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll need to watch it again to see if I can appreciate it more. :wub:

BTW, what is "Hikikomori culture"? :mellow:

Friday 4 chains

Maleficent -16,3%

EoT -32,1%

Frozen + 11,4%

Saturday numbers become very interesting: the rise continues or Pokemon and Marnie definitively will kill Anna & Elsa?

Edited by edroger
  • Like 2

Friday 4 chains

Maleficent -16,3%

EoT -32,1%

Frozen + 11,4%

Saturday numbers become very interesting: the rise continues or Pokemon and Marnie definitively will kill Anna & Elsa?

Considering the loss of 40% screens / seats.....20% drop can be viewed as a miracle...

(Even if no loss of any seats, 20% drop is good enough for most movies)