Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Pixar movies are always a big success in Japan, why did Japanese rejected Inside Out? I don't understand, it's a fantastic movie.

Too much competition from other animated movies, including Minions at the same time. I wouldn't say it was rejected since $32.5 million is still good (just not amazing) for an original non-sequel Disney/Pixar film and better than what most Hollywood blockbusters usually earn in Japan. If not for the low yen, Inside Out would have made similar to Wall-E or Up and better than Ratatouille. At least it didn't totally bomb like Brave with its $11 million.  :ph34r:

Edited by KP1025

Too much competition from other animated movies, including Minions at the same time. I wouldn't say it was rejected since $32.5 million is still good (just not amazing) for an original non-sequel Disney/Pixar film and better than what most Hollywood blockbusters usually earn in Japan. If not for the low yen, Inside Out would have made similar to Wall-E or Up and better than Ratatouille. At least it didn't totally bomb like Brave with its $11 million. :ph34r:

Minions is a terrible excuse. Pixar and Disney films are the only foreign movies to be successful in Japan, even DM were not big there, so how Minions, that is a terrible movie, could be so successful there despite Inside Out that was much better? Japanese are usually smarter than that.

Well, Disney & Pixar films can't be the only things that would dominate in Japan, though. The marketing & appeal for Minions were big enough for that do more.

And also....can some of you guys stop being so butthurt about IO being beaten by Minions...when it's all apples and oranges. We can't act like every Pixar film is better and should do better than everything NON-Pixar-related....in Japan, especially. Just let it go, guys.

And we really shouldn't treat the thing about IO being better than Minions....as a fact. It's all opinion-based on both movies. If people liked or didn't like either IO or Minions...fine. Nothing stopping you from sharing opinions about those movies. Everyone have their own opinions. But why act like IO should be the only animated film of this year do great and leave other animated films in shadows....like those films doesn't deserve their recognition at all.

Pixar hasn't always made perfect movies. Remember Cars 2? That was their only Pixar film which was considered bad by many people.

And remember...Minions had an OS-advantage for that movie to push to $1.151B WW. Something that IO did not have.

If you can accept that Minions beat IO at the WW-box office and move on.....then we can't have forum fights. But if you don't....well then, suck on it haters. It's not the "Minions" lovers problem.

• Like 1

Well, Disney & Pixar films can't be the only things that would dominate in Japan, though. The marketing & appeal for Minions were big enough for that do more.

And also....can some of you guys stop being so butthurt about IO being beaten by Minions...when it's all apples and oranges. We can't act like every Pixar film is better and should do better than everything NON-Pixar-related....in Japan, especially. Just let it go, guys.

And we really shouldn't treat the thing about IO being better than Minions....as a fact. It's all opinion-based on both movies. If people liked or didn't like either IO or Minions...fine. Nothing stopping you from sharing opinions about those movies. Everyone have their own opinions. But why act like IO should be the only animated film of this year do great and leave other animated films in shadows....like those films doesn't deserve their recognition at all.

Pixar hasn't always made perfect movies. Remember Cars 2? That was their only Pixar film which was considered bad by many people.

And remember...Minions had an OS-advantage for that movie to push to $1.151B WW. Something that IO did not have.

If you can accept that Minions beat IO at the WW-box office and move on.....then we can't have forum fights. But if you don't....well then, suck on it haters. It's not the "Minions" lovers problem.

Am so tired of those pretending smartness = IO.

The huge success of Minions is killing so many Pixar loonies as Baumer calls them.

I never saw them in action like this year just bec Minions made more than ANY OTHER Pixar film ever.

• Like 1

Guys GET OVER IT.

Minions will end up 300 millions more than IO.

It's so insulting to day that those who like Minions are LESS SMARTER than IO. Terrible judgement.

Exactly. I don't get why some people have problem with one animated film that aren't from Disney/Pixar...beating an actual Pixar film, WW-wise. It happened numerous of times...and we don't see many negative things in those forum conversations. I don't mind a Non-Pixar film beating a Pixar-film, IMO.

Shrek 2 beat The Incredibles. IA2 beat Cars. Shrek 3 beat Ratatouille. Kung Fu Panda beat WALLE. IA3 beat Up. Kung Fu Panda 2 beat Cars 2 (although it was deserved for KFP2 to beat it). MAD3 & IA4 beat Brave. DM2 beat MU.

It happens most of the time. And i love animated films, whether they are from Pixar or not from Pixar. But man....acting that butthurt won't get them anywhere.

• Like 1

I agree it's really insulting to say something like the Japanese are not smart for liking Minions. Box office gross is a measure of popularity primarily, and Minions simply attracted more of the general public's interest regardless of IO being more critically acclaimed. As I mentioned above, it wasn't just Minions as competition. Boy and the Beast was an even bigger animated film released around the same date. Family friendly movies were in abundance that month, and IO's legs struggled a bit because of that. 

• Like 3

Stop whining! People who decided to watch Minions absolutely didn't care about its quality, they just saw these cute yellow things from Despicable Me and thought that would be great to see them again, there is nothing smart in that, that's just how it happened. It was said everywhere that IO was a much better movie that was innovative and different but many in the great audience were lazy and prefered to go to something they already knew without even trying to know what's better. It's not insulting to say they were less smart by watching it, that's just the truth because they didn't even try to think a little bit before ignoring IO. And it's not about being a Pixar blind fan, I even think Cars 2 was average and not worthy of them, it's just about innovation and quality. Inside Out had good numbers but Minions just didn't deserve to be that big. Let's hope Finding Dory will pass Minions next year, this mistake must be corrected and fast!

Edited by Fullbuster

In one thread some one said something like: America showed it's smarter than other nations because IO made more than Minions domestically.

Utter crap.

Well, this person was totally right :)Thank you America for having created such a masterpiece called Inside Out and for giving it a bigger success than Minions. :lol:

• Like 1

Stop whining! People who decided to watch Minions absolutely didn't care about its quality, they just saw these cute yellow things from Despicable Me and thought that would be great to see them again, there is nothing smart in that, that's just how it happened. It was said everywhere that IO was a much better movie that was innovative and different but many in the great audience were lazy and prefered to go to something they already knew without even trying to know what's better. It's not insulting to say they were less smart by watching it, that's just the truth because they didn't even try to think a little bit before ignoring IO. And it's not about being a Pixar blind fan, I even think Cars 2 was average and not worthy of them, it's just about innovation and quality. Inside Out had good numbers but Minions just didn't deserve to be that big. Let's hope Finding Dory will pass Minions next year, this mistake must be corrected and fast!

You think it's a mistake and others loved it and pushed its legs to 1.1 billion. Like all movies, it's a matter of opinion that is respected no matter what it is.

What am saying is: yeah everyone can love or hate a movie but to label its viewers as dumb or less smart is a very shallow way of thinking. 

Well, true. Pixar does make great movies and they can have the better animated movie. However, that doesn't mean their movies are the only good ones of the year they get released. KFP2 was a more well-beloved film than Cars 2...but ended up having the lower DOM-gross. HTTYD1 & TS3 are both equally amazing of their own. Shrek 2 & Incredibles are both good on their own.

And you said something about innovation & quality.....well, I also think DW & some other animation companies has made some of the greatest animated films in this decade. HTTYD2, KFP2 & MAD3 are great examples of how animated sequels should be....but only KFP2 & HTTYD2 didn't reach bigger numbers than what they ended up with. WB's Lego Movie was innovative and really good for people who saw it.

As for FD?....well I hope that one could top Shrek 2 as the #1 animated film DOM and Frozen as the #1 animated film WW.

Well, true. Pixar does make great movies and they can have the better animated movie. However, that doesn't mean their movies are the only good ones of the year they get released. KFP2 was a more well-beloved film than Cars 2...but ended up having the lower DOM-gross. HTTYD1 & TS3 are both equally amazing of their own. Shrek 2 & Incredibles are both good on their own.

And you said something about innovation & quality.....well, I also think DW & some other animation companies has made some of the greatest animated films in this decade. HTTYD2, KFP2 & MAD3 are great examples of how animated sequels should be....but only KFP2 & HTTYD2 didn't reach bigger numbers than what they ended up with. WB's Lego Movie was innovative and really good for people who saw it.

As for FD?....well I hope that one could top Shrek 2 as the #1 animated film DOM and Frozen as the #1 animated film WW.

Well, I'm just talked about Minions, I never said Pixar movies are the only ones to be good! I love Disney animated movies, I particularly loved Big Hero 6, HTTYD are great too, KFP movies are pretty good as well.

Which segways into next year with KFP3. That one will be the second highest grossing animated film next year, behind Dory. But also be the highest grossing film of the KFP-franchise WW, obviously.

That's not totally certain. Some people think Moana will breakthrough like Frozen did, if that's the case it is possible to have it beyond KFP3.

• Like 1

On ‎2015‎-‎10‎-‎17‎ ‎14‎:‎14‎:‎22, Fullbuster said:

That's not totally certain. Some people think Moana will breakthrough like Frozen did, if that's the case it is possible to have it beyond KFP3.

Yeah, mostly because of the Disney brand-name..true. But while I do I think Moana will be big....I don't know if it's gonna be Frozen-big. Frozen had advantages going for that. But I think Moana will do around $800-900M WW. Fourth place behind those 3 other animated sequels KFP3, FD & IA5.

Unlike KFP3 which has literally no big competition in February....Moana is coming out in November with more toughies like Fantastic Beasts, Trolls, Dr. Strange.

In Japan....I think Moana will do pretty great. Maybe not as great as Frozen, but still great enough.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34