Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

5 hours ago, Foul01 said:

14:00 numbers are in and something is wrong with Mimorin's calculation.

Mimorin's used the total number of last Wednesday as the base when calculating the growth percentage... hence the 32.6%.

Actual number at 14:00 last Wednesday is 10719... which means the correct percentage should have been 96.3%

デイリー上映25分前販売数合計ランキング(14時中間集計):20160525
順位 販売数 座席数 回数 館数 先週比 映画(作品名)
*1 10649 107883 391 171 ****** 海よりもまだ深く
*2 10319 155394 526 222 *32.6% ズートピア
*3 *8846 *96333 453 213 *43.0% 殿、利息でござる!
*4 *6896 *97352 486 206 *36.6% 世界から猫が消えたなら
*5 *6563 *77254 451 214 *43.4% 64-ロクヨン-前編

Same story at 19:00

Actual number at 19:00 last Wednesday is 25093... percentage compare to last Wednesday is actually 104.0%

デイリー上映25分前販売数合計ランキング(19時中間集計):20160525
順位 販売数 座席数 回数 館数 先週比 映画(作品名)
*1 26093 266958 911 222 *82.4% ズートピア
*2 14084 198893 713 171 ****** 海よりもまだ深く
*3 13662 181383 854 213 *66.4% 殿、利息でござる!
*4 12905 166655 827 206 *68.6% 世界から猫が消えたなら
*5 10293 133635 779 214 *68.0% 64-ロクヨン-前編

• Like 2

To be fair, neither of those numbers are accurate either. Remember that last Wednesday had the whole Girls und Panzer incident, and the 14:00 and 19:00 totals were missing UNITED's totals. It looks like it's going to come in just a tad behind its total two Wednesdays ago.

4 hours ago, LMAbacus said:

Problem is that it's going to lose over 100 showings to Huntsman starting on Friday, whereas Frozen looks like it either held steady or increased for its first two months.

Frozen lost a lot big screens to two big openers before GW. A woman's drama and Conan i think and it still held flat.  It'll still have enough seats to hold well and do over 6m if the demand is there

Edited by No Prisoners

On 5/23/2016 at 9:18 PM, No Prisoners said:

Post your pick by this thursday 1159 pm, Tokyo. You can change pick up til that time, just edit your first and only post by Thursday night.

50k minimum increments 

Contest is for posters in this thread only prior to this announcement.

Alright, deadline to enter the contest has passed. Just for fun I put all the predictions (15 total) on a number line.

XME5LbR.png

Average of all predictions is ¥10.287B. Median is ¥9.8B.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

Alright, deadline to enter the contest has passed. Just for fun I put all the predictions (15 total) on a number line.

XME5LbR.png

Average of all predictions is ¥10.287B. Median is ¥9.8B.

I see @cannastop's prediction is way out to the right of everyone else lol!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edroger3 said:

2vmvtbl.png

5B blockbuster level will be passed on Saturday

Just a question, what is ADM U.L. please? Is it the toal number of admissions so far? (even though I doubt it because the figure is so low!)

4 minutes ago, Max said:

Just a question, what is ADM U.L. please? Is it the toal number of admissions so far? (even though I doubt it because the figure is so low!)

Admissions from the "usual listings". Not all of the theaters in Japan are listed on mimorin, if I recall correctly the "usual listings" represent about ~63% of the market, give or a take a couple percent.

Thanks a lot @Jason

So if around 63% give 2.192.852 entries, 100% of all the theaters would "theoretically" give around 3.480.717 entries, according to my rule of three calculation (of course I can be completely wrong, I am an amateur ^^).

To go a bit further, the price of a cinema ticket would be $44.592.269/3.480.717 = ~$12.8.

I won't diminish the performance of Zootopia in Japan but if the number is currently around 3.5M entries, I am not really impressed.. :unsure:

@LMAbacus  Before my calculation, I expected the admission to be above 5M (assuming that the price range of a ticket is 8 to $9).

Well, I must admit Zootopia is doing really well, so the number will continue to grow a lot. :)

My prediction was $80M, so it will give something like 6.2M entries.

18 minutes ago, Max said:

@LMAbacus  Before my calculation, I expected the admission to be above 5M (assuming that the price range of a ticket is 8 to $9).

Well, I must admit Zootopia is doing really well, so the number will continue to grow a lot. :)

My prediction was $80M, so it will give something like 6.2M entries.

Lofty expectations. I think just 1 or 2 movies make it over that per year.

You can't expect a new franchise to beat Avengers, JW or SW7 in domestic now can you?

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

You can't expect a new franchise to beat Avengers, JW or SW7 in domestic now can you?

to be fair tho, Avengers is not a powerhouse franchise at all in Japan. ;) but you said "in domestic" so you meant in North America..?

anyways I just got to compare last year's top 10 from Japan, China and Korea and wowza China's become an absolute behemoth..!!

also got to know that now Korean market is somewhat bigger than Japanese, but it's also slightly more local-driven, at least when it comes to the top 10. 

Besides sometimes Japanese audience can just go batshit crazy and make $250M-sized Frozen kinda runs possible, which has not yet happened in Korea. 

anywhooo I think $80M is possible for Zootopia, if not likely already. :D 

2 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

I... I have really no idea ^^'. It is even hard for me to accept that Zootopia can reach $80M.

But as you mentioned before, it is amazing how word of mouth can be powerful. I have this feeling that word of mouth works better in Asian countries like South Korea, Japan, China, than in Western countries, especially in Europe. My jaw literally dropped when I read that Zotoopia skyrocketed 2 weeks after its launch in Japan, considering that it started in the 2nd place. As @yjs said, they can go batshit crazy lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

The japanese people don't go to the movies that much compared to the americans, the koreans or the french. That's why admissions always look a bit low for such a big market.

yeah, at least their tickets are way more expensive so grosses in USD don't look bad at all, unless the exchange rate is so shitty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

6 hours ago, yjs said:

to be fair tho, Avengers is not a powerhouse franchise at all in Japan. ;) but you said "in domestic" so you meant in North America..?

I think what No Prisoners meant was that you wouldn't expect a new franchise to beat those in North America, so why expect it in Japan?

• Like 1