Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Not counting Ted and Les Mis, which are technically 2012 releases, Hollywood movies of 2013 has been doing not so hot in Japan barring MU. Any other Hollywood releases looking promising or have potential to do well later in the year? 

I guess with TH:AUJ disappointed, DOS won't do that well either. CF will always be seen as Battle Royale knock-off, so no chance it'll grossing much over there. 

I think future 2013 releases that will have big potential in Japan are most likely animations. It's looking pretty bleak right now.

Not counting Ted and Les Mis, which are technically 2012 releases, Hollywood movies of 2013 has been doing not so hot in Japan barring MU. Any other Hollywood releases looking promising or have potential to do well later in the year? I guess with TH:AUJ disappointed, DOS won't do that well either. CF will always be seen as Battle Royale knock-off, so no chance it'll grossing much over there. I think future 2013 releases that will have big potential in Japan are most likely animations. It's looking pretty bleak right now.

Ted was released in 2013 and Les Mis made most of its gross in 2013.

Ted was released in 2013 and Les Mis made most of its gross in 2013.

Yeah, I know. I was just counting it as 2012 releases in Hollywood terms, that's why I said technically.

Looking at past hollywood movies, the most successful were sci-fi and fantasy movies that were also successful DOM, and those aren't really being made anymore. These days it's mostly superhero films which the Japanese apparently don't have time for.

There are lots of sci-fi movies from Hollywood this year, but they're not doing so hot stateside, so I guess we can't ask much from Japan either, especially when most of those movie's quality is nothing to write home about. 

I'm very surprised how poor The Hobbit did, the number it pulled in Japan is absolutely horrible considering how big and popular the LOTR franchise was.

Corpse

Weekend Forecast [8/24-25]

1 (1) The Wind Rises (Toho) ¥325 million ($3.3 million) Week 6
2 (-) Star Trek Into Darkness (Paramount) ¥260 million ($2.7 million) DEBUT
3 (-) Gatchaman (Toho) ¥220 million ($2.3 million) DEBUT
4 (2) Monsters University (Disney) ¥175 million ($1.8 million) Week 8
5 (3) The After-Dinner Mysteries (Toho) ¥150 million ($1.6 million) Week 4
6 (4) World War Z (Toho-Towa) ¥135 million ($1.4 million) Week 3
7 (5) White House Down (Sony) ¥115 million ($1.2 million) Week 2
8 (8) A Boy Called H (Toho) ¥105 million ($1.1 million) Week 3
9 (7) The Lone Ranger (Disney) ¥100 million ($1.1 million) Week 4
10 (6) Pacific Rim (Warner Bros.) ¥95 million ($1.0 million) Week 3

The Wind Rises will more than likely remain on top for a 6th-consecutive weekend, though Star Trek Into Darkness could make things interesting.

The first Star Trek film must have gained some fans on DVD because Star Trek Into Darkness had solid pre-sales and looks to have a substantial increase over it's predecessor.

Things just aren't looking too good for Gatchaman unless it sees an unexpected amount old fans turn up right before most of it's showings. Pre-sales are poor which is alarming for this type of film, and with such a large budget, it looks destined to be the biggest financial disappointment of the year.

Most-Consecutive Weeks at #1 (1998-)Spirited Away (16)Armageddon (14)Avatar (10)Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge (9)Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (9)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (9)Howl's Moving Castle (9)Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (9)Alice in Wonderland (7)Hero (7)The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (7)Spider-Man (7)20th Century Boys: The Final Chapter (6)Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (6)Monsters Inc (6)Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (6)Ponyo (6)Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (6)The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (6)The Matrix (6)The Sixth Sense (6)Umizaru: The Last Message (6)Bayside Shakedown (5)Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (5)The Da Vinci Code (5)Doraemon: Nobita's Great Merman Sea Battle (5)Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles (5)Finding Nemo (5)Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (5)I, Robot (5)The Last Samurai (5)Letters from Iwo Jima (5)The Matrix Reloaded (5)Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (5)Negotiator: Mashita Masayoshi (5)One Piece / Digimon Adventure 2 (5)Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (5)Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back! (5)Red Cliff: Part I (5)Saving Private Ryan (5)Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (5)Umizaru: Brave Hearts (5)The Wind Rises (5)The Wind Rises is favored to obtain a 6th-consecutive weekend on top, and might snag a 7th-consecutive week next weekend as well. It'll depend on it's hold this weekend, but it'll still be tough for Man of Steel or Sadako 3D Part 2 to unseat it.

Japan market for English films does seem to be shrinking.

here are the grosses for some 90s - early 2000s movies I found

Die Hard With a Vengeance - 

$81,762,589

Independence Day - $92,660,418

Mission Impossible - 

$53,987,907

Mission Impossible 2 - 

$94,103,715

Deep Impact - 

$56,679,422

Ocean's Eleven - 

$51,987,627

a blockbuster in Japan these days is lucky to be able to get a gross similar to Deep Impact or Ocean's Eleven

Edited by Robert Muldoon