Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Corpse

They've announced plans to localize Yo-Kai Watch in the West next year.

Yo-Kai Watch is very much a Japanese thing though, from its characters, humor, culture, etc.. Western audiences probably won't understand a lot of it, so and I don't think it'll be the next Pokemon outside of Japan... but we'll see if it catches on unlike a few other failed attempts over the past 10-15 years (none of them can compare to Yo-Kai Watch's success, however).

It took 16 years, but Japan has finally found its Pokemon replacement (and it might even be bigger). Merchandise sales are projected to exceed 40 billion ($350-400 million) for the year. And the second Yo-Kai Watch video game released this year will end up with over 5 million copies sold in Japan for the year (maybe closer to 6 million), which will be much higher than the last several Pokemon games. And the anime has been drawing in larger audiences than Pokemon shortly after it began airing at the beginning of the year.

Basically, ever since Yo-Kai Watch really kicked into overdrive back in the Spring, the Pokemon brand has seen drastic declines in every medium. Young audiences have seemingly abandoned it. Pikachu is no longer the mascot of many popular outlets. McDonald's have switched their annual calender releases to include Yo-Kai Watch now (even after printing the Pokemon ones), and more.

And Yo-Kai Watch's biggest audience is elementary aged children (3-6). So it's going to be around for quite some time (the second movie is already announced for next December, vs Star Wars, with plans to make it an annual release event).

Last Saturday admissions at 11:59PM

#1 - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 26,569

#2 - Ao Haru Ride 25,879

#3 - The Last: Naruto the Movie 24,012

Saturday admissions at 1:00PM

Yokai Watch 117,367

Baymax 27098

Saturday admissions at 6:00PM

Yokai Watch 220,920

Baymax 64,590

Hobbit 13,581

Edited by Sorcerer Supreme
  • Like 3

Corpse

They've announced plans to localize Yo-Kai Watch in the West next year.

Yo-Kai Watch is very much a Japanese thing though, from its characters, humor, culture, etc.. Western audiences probably won't understand a lot of it, so and I don't think it'll be the next Pokemon outside of Japan... but we'll see if it catches on unlike a few other failed attempts over the past 10-15 years (none of them can compare to Yo-Kai Watch's success, however).

It took 16 years, but Japan has finally found its Pokemon replacement (and it might even be bigger). Merchandise sales are projected to exceed 40 billion ($350-400 million) for the year. And the second Yo-Kai Watch video game released this year will end up with over 5 million copies sold in Japan for the year (maybe closer to 6 million), which will be much higher than the last several Pokemon games. And the anime has been drawing in larger audiences than Pokemon shortly after it began airing at the beginning of the year.

Basically, ever since Yo-Kai Watch really kicked into overdrive back in the Spring, the Pokemon brand has seen drastic declines in every medium. Young audiences have seemingly abandoned it. Pikachu is no longer the mascot of many popular outlets. McDonald's have switched their annual calender releases to include Yo-Kai Watch now (even after printing the Pokemon ones), and more.

And Yo-Kai Watch's biggest audience is elementary aged children (3-6). So it's going to be around for quite some time (the second movie is already announced for next December, vs Star Wars, with plans to make it an annual release event).

Pokémon was more interesting than Yokai Watch, Pokémon was the embodiment of travel, liberty and dreams...I found nothing of them in Yokai Watch which is much more generic...I like Japan but I don't understand them about that, BH6 deserved way more than that, it's really a shame..

Corpse

Mid-Day Report (02:30PM)
Usual Locations (~1/3 of the Market)

145,657 - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (NEW)
39,822 - Big Hero 6 (NEW)

11,307 - Ao Haru Ride (Week 2)
10,712 - The Vancouver Asahi (NEW)
7,673 - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Week 2)
7,644 - Aikatsu! The Movie (Week 2)
7,425 - The Last: Naruto the Movie (Week 3)
5,533 - Gone Girl (Week 2)
5,242 - Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Gaim & Drive: Full Throttle (Week 2)
4,817 - Parasyte Part 1 (Week 4)

Good grief. Its mid-day Saturday admissions here suggests it may be close to or over 400,000 admissions for Saturday already.

Expect an official report from Toho soon.

Yo-Kai Watch is currently outpacing the top debuts from earlier this year from the usual locations by...

2.68x greater than Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension
2.91x greater than Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends
2.96x greater than Stand By Me, Doraemon
2.98x greater than Frozen
3.30x greater than Maleficent

If it maintained a similar lead over these films throughout the rest of the weekend (and it could improve upon them), it's looking at an opening weekend around 1.7/1.8 million admissions, which would handily break the All-Time Opening Weekend Admissions Record by 200,000-300,000 admissions, and earn around ¥2 billion ($17/18 million) using Pokemon/Doraemon ticket prices.

However, since its avg. ticket price will be very low due to the volume of children attending, the All-Time Opening Weekend Record in Revenue would still be in the air. The admissions record is likely to fall, but it'll needs closer to 2 million admissions I think to assure it takes the gross record from The Matrix Reloaded (¥2.22 billion), too.

Big Hero 6 is no slouch this weekend either, though I'm curious just how much Yo-Kai Watch is helping it from basically all its showtimes selling out. Right now, it looks like it could reach 400,000+ admissions over the weekend, and a gross above ¥500 million ($4.5-5 million). That'd be an impressive opening, no doubt, though again, just how much is it benefiting from spillover (the same applies to every other film, too).

• Like 5

Toho 19.00 pm

Yo-Kai Watch 117.893 - 96% saturation (about 550.000 total) - Biggest Toho day for Frozen was day 53 (holiday monday) 117.374 adm (559.027 total)

Baymax 39.317 - Frozen first saturday total (day 2 in release) was 58.491

Edited by edroger
  • Like 3

Corpse

Mid-Day Report (02:30PM)

Usual Locations (~1/3 of the Market)

145,657 - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (NEW)

39,822 - Big Hero 6 (NEW)

11,307 - Ao Haru Ride (Week 2)

10,712 - The Vancouver Asahi (NEW)

7,673 - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Week 2)

7,644 - Aikatsu! The Movie (Week 2)

7,425 - The Last: Naruto the Movie (Week 3)

5,533 - Gone Girl (Week 2)

5,242 - Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Gaim & Drive: Full Throttle (Week 2)

4,817 - Parasyte Part 1 (Week 4)

Good grief. Its mid-day Saturday admissions here suggests it may be close to or over 400,000 admissions for Saturday already.

Expect an official report from Toho soon.

Yo-Kai Watch is currently outpacing the top debuts from earlier this year from the usual locations by...

2.68x greater than Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension

2.91x greater than Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

2.96x greater than Stand By Me, Doraemon

2.98x greater than Frozen

3.30x greater than Maleficent

If it maintained a similar lead over these films throughout the rest of the weekend (and it could improve upon them), it's looking at an opening weekend around 1.7/1.8 million admissions, which would handily break the All-Time Opening Weekend Admissions Record by 200,000-300,000 admissions, and earn around ¥2 billion ($17/18 million) using Pokemon/Doraemon ticket prices.

However, since its avg. ticket price will be very low due to the volume of children attending, the All-Time Opening Weekend Record in Revenue would still be in the air. The admissions record is likely to fall, but it'll needs closer to 2 million admissions I think to assure it takes the gross record from The Matrix Reloaded (¥2.22 billion), too.

Big Hero 6 is no slouch this weekend either, though I'm curious just how much Yo-Kai Watch is helping it from basically all its showtimes selling out. Right now, it looks like it could reach 400,000+ admissions over the weekend, and a gross above ¥500 million ($4.5-5 million). That'd be an impressive opening, no doubt, though again, just how much is it benefiting from spillover (the same applies to every other film, too).

No, BH6 doesn't benefit from it at all, it would be bigger without this competition.

Pokémon was more interesting than Yokai Watch, Pokémon was the embodiment of travel, liberty and dreams...I found nothing of them in Yokai Watch which is much more generic...I like Japan but I don't understand them about that, BH6 deserved way more than that, it's really a shame..

You were a kid back then. I loved Pokemon too and yet looking back at the anime it was always honestly quite crappy.

You were a kid back then. I loved Pokemon too and yet looking back at the anime it was always honestly quite crappy.

The anime was crappy, even if I loved it back then, that's not what I'm talking about, the feeling of adventure and liberty, in some way that was worth it...But here? What could possibly excite them?

Some numbers :

*1 262.674 Yôkai Watch (133.455 at Toho)

*2 83.497 BH6 (35.516 at Toho) 

35516 is only for Jap dub 2d version, we have to add the other versions for a total of 46.753 adm on Toho (-21% first saturday of Frozen). Could be about 2,5M$

• Like 3

Of course it is.

Yokai Watch 2 is overshadowing BH6, it's quite obvious.

Maybe BH6 can benefit from full rooms and so some people could watch BH6 instead, but is that enough to offset the fact BH6 is overshadowed in terms of hype? It's possible but I'm not convinced...

Toho 19.00 pm

Yo-Kai Watch 117.893 - 96% saturation (about 550.000 total) - Biggest Toho day for Frozen was day 53 (holiday monday) 117.374 adm (559.027 total)

Day 53. :D

Baymax 39.317 - Frozen first saturday total (day 2 in release) was 58.491

Actually, that's better than I was expecting in light of the monster it is opening against. It could possibly gross $5M on OW, which is big for a WDAS animated feature.

No, BH6 doesn't benefit from it at all, it would be bigger without this competition.

The competition takes but then gives some back in a different way. The net effect in this case is probably that it takes more than gives since Yōkai Watch is just so massive and overshadowing, but ultimately this is unknowable.

• Like 3

Sunday Presales on 11 Toho cinemas

Yo-Kai Watch

75 shows

14 -50% saturation

2 50/80% saturation

29 +80% saturation

30 soldout

Big Hero 6

78 shows

48 -50% saturation

12 50/80% saturation