hasanahmad

Monday Actuals Box Office 5/15/2012 . Avengers 7.9 DS 2.3

Using the same Monday-Weekend ratio as Iron Man, it'd get $65.4m. The three openers this week will hit it a bit harder than Prince Caspian did Iron Man, so I think $58-60m is where it'll land.

TA is tracking closer to Iron Man 2 than any other movie.

I find Cutthroat tolerable, personally, and I do think at times it is better than a couple of the POTC films.... though definitely not the first one. My daughter likes Cutthroat as much as the POTC movies, that's for sure. She gets a kick out of the novelty of a female pirate.There's some really, really bad dialogue in Cutthroat, though. For example:"A ship! I find myself being fired upon by an entire ship!" :lol:This wasn't the only move that contributed to Carolco's demise. Showgirls says "hello". Cutthroat did the most damage, though. It is considered perhaps the biggest bomb in box office history. Certainly it is in the top 5.

Showgirls was hardly a bomb. It made 20 mill off a 45 mill budget. I've never believed that one or two films caused the demise of this studio. They were responsible for T2, Basic Instinct, the Rambos and True Lies. If you cant survive one or two bombs then there is something wrong. I have no evidence of this but imo, I think there was a power struggle between Kassar and Vajna and something got messed up in between and bankruptcy was filed. The successful films they made were ultra successful, I really doubt the story that one or two films took their legs out. There's a lot more to the story.
  • Like 1

Using the same Monday-Weekend ratio as Iron Man, it'd get $65.4m. The three openers this week will hit it a bit harder than Prince Caspian did Iron Man, so I think $58-60m is where it'll land.

Does anyone have a good explanation for why Iron Man's 3rd weekend decline was so low? Less than expected competition from Prince of Caspian perhaps? It really had the benefit of 3 weekends and THEN Memorial Day. What a great final/OW multiplier it had.

True, but The Avengers has far better WOM than IM2. We'll start to see that come into play this weekend.Down 6% from last week wat :mellow:

My concern is that it is too late for WOM to help it attain SM1 like multipliers. Now the big boys of summer are coming into play, eating up theaters and demand. The Dictator/Battleship combo (equiv to a single $60mil opener) and definitely MIB3, Snow White, on and on. I don't predict big drops for TA, it's a very good movie, but I don't see soft landings either.

Has anyone mentioned that the weekdays are probably inflated?Mother's Day, an inflated day, was Sunday.So either the movies experience drops on Tuesday or they have a good week and low Friday increases. Happened before. Many times.

Has anyone mentioned that the weekdays are probably inflated?Mother's Day, an inflated day, was Sunday.So either the movies experience drops on Tuesday or they have a good week and low Friday increases. Happened before. Many times.

lol I really don't think there's any sort of inflating going on today, the drops are pretty normal for post-Mother's Day, and films did increase on Tuesday last year: http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-05-17

I like how you posted a news item from 2 days ago to counter the lower actual monday number, keep it up

LOL Why so confrontional? I've just seen this, I realize it was just posted, it was on the cover of BoxOfficeMojo. I'm sorry for the slip, don't be mad, please.

By your adjustment of the gross to $18m ($10m +80%), shouldn't the budget adjust up to $176m ($98m +80%)? That's pretty colossal :lol:I know there are worse bombs than John Carter, but JC is by far the funniest. To me, anyway.

I adjusted the gross on ticket prices, but the budget on CPI inflation.

True. Star Trek dropped pretty significantly Tuesday (but had a softer Sunday and Monday drop) but Thor and IM2 stayed steady *shrug*I think we'll see a slight drop.... $7.6 million ish.

My concern is that it is too late for WOM to help it attain SM1 like multipliers. Now the big boys of summer are coming into play, eating up theaters and demand. The Dictator/Battleship combo (equiv to a single $60mil opener) and definitely MIB3, Snow White, on and on. I don't predict big drops for TA, it's a very good movie, but I don't see soft landings either.

I have this hitting 600 before July...perhaps around the third week of June. :)
  • Like 2

We'll see how this weekend goes, but I feel Avengers has that must see factor that'll help propel it for the next couple of weeks. The big hits are going to start happening on the June 8th weekend, which is going to be absolute slaughterhouse for holdovers. And it's already making so much money it'll probably be over $550m by then.

Showgirls was hardly a bomb. It made 20 mill off a 45 mill budget. I've never believed that one or two films caused the demise of this studio. They were responsible for T2, Basic Instinct, the Rambos and True Lies. If you cant survive one or two bombs then there is something wrong. I have no evidence of this but imo, I think there was a power struggle between Kassar and Vajna and something got messed up in between and bankruptcy was filed. The successful films they made were ultra successful, I really doubt the story that one or two films took their legs out. There's a lot more to the story.

They had to buy the rights to some of those properties, which had to eat into the profits. I guess I'm wondering if they really made much money to begin with, hence a few bombs could have been enough to bring the company down? You could be right, though. It's entirely possible that internal strife and mismanagement are to blame.I still think showgirls was a bomb. I remember when it came out... I was 18 and I felt like I was getting away with something when I went to see it with my friends. Almost like that feeling the first time I went to a strip club, or the first time I ordered a beer in a bar! There was all this hype about it, and I remember being very disappointed in the film. Considering the rating I'm not sure how much money that film could have made... but anything short of breaking even has to be considered a bust of sorts, right?