Impact

Best Visual Effects-2012

I'd rather not have a wall to wall CGI fest like Life of Pi win this time, that happens way too much. To me, visuals are more than just CGI, like photography, sets, cinematography, use of camera shots/angles. Hopefully Hobbit fucking wows.

My predictions:1. Life of Pi2. The Avengers3. The Dark Knight Rises4. The Hobbit5. Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas and TDKR are a toss-up for 5th place. Edited by Shpongle

I'd rather not have a wall to wall CGI fest like Life of Pi win this time, that happens way too much. To me, visuals are more than just CGI, like photography, sets, cinematography, use of camera shots/angles. Hopefully Hobbit fucking wows.

Cloud Atlas and TDKR are a toss-up for 5th place.

I thought the visual effects category was all about CGI?

I'd rather not have a wall to wall CGI fest like Life of Pi win this time, that happens way too much. To me, visuals are more than just CGI, like photography, sets, cinematography, use of camera shots/angles.

Sets fall under "production design". Cinematography, camera shots/angles fall under "cinematography".

I thought the visual effects category was all about CGI?

Best Visual Effects basically is shortened for Best Visual Special Effects (as opposed to Audio Special Effects). In other words, anything that's faked in the picture -- whether captured live "in camera" with double exposures or forced perspective shots, rear projection, models, matte paintings, computer-generated elements... all of those are visual effects.

Best Visual Effects basically is shortened for Best Visual Special Effects (as opposed to Audio Special Effects). In other words, anything that's faked in the picture -- whether captured live "in camera" with double exposures or forced perspective shots, rear projection, models, matte paintings, computer-generated elements... all of those are visual effects.

So you're like one of them little young Thundercats. Think you know it all..

You know they have other awards for that right?

Ok so what about Hobbit now? I don't think it is going to win because HFR just isn't going to go down well with all those 60+ year old AMPAS members but is it possible that it won't even be nominated?

I doubt that. They're doing the bake-off so provided that they don't screw up their presentation they only need to present 10 minutes of their best. (And hopefully in 24fps this time around) They'll get in comfortably.

I think Pi will take it though after seeing TH I`d say TH should. But they`ve already awarded Gollum so tiger will take it home although Stone Giants sequence was the best SFX piece in movies od 2012, IMO. Great original idea, great execution and HFR absolutely inhanced it. But tiger is so much cuter than those awful Goblins (WTF was that Goblin King design?) so I guess that give him an edge.

Edited by fishnets

I think Pi will take it though after seeing TH I`d say TH should. But they`ve already awarded Gollum so tiger will take it home although Stone Giants sequence was the best SFX piece in movies od 2012, IMO. Great original idea, great execution and HFR absolutely inhanced it. But tiger is so much cuter than those awful Goblins (WTF was that Goblin King design?) so I guess that give him an edge.

Sackball face was amazing.Best pr0n of 2012.