Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

$1B WW not locked I guess?

not locked I guess but with a China release still to come and some gas in the tank it looks both domestically and overseas (well at least in Europe), I can't see how it misses 1 billion, but don't ask me... Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

[*]Warner Bros Pictures International reported that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey brought in a further $57.1m from 13,500 screens in 65 markets to reach $561m internationally and $825m worldwide.

New Line/MGM/Warner Bros’ fantasy saga crossed the $500m mark last Thursday [3] and coaxed $6.1m out of Australia audiences in its second weekend to reach $29.7m.

Germany led the holdovers for the Middle Earth fantasy, producing $9.4m for $74m. The UK generated $6.5m for $72.3m, France $5.2m for $39.6m and Russia $5.1m for $36.4m.

The Hobbit stands at $26m in Spain, $21.5m in South Korea, $20.9m in Italy and $18.5m in Sweden, $17.4m in Mexico, $15.8m in Brazil, $15.7m in Japan, $12.8m in Holland, $11.2m in Denmark, $10.6m in Norway, $8.9m in Switzerland and $7.6m in New Zealand.

Edited by efialtes76

Further gross Hobbit can get in various markets

Market - This weekend - Further gross(low-end) - Further gross (high-end)

Domestic - 17.5 - 35 - 45

Australia - 6.1 - 15 - 18

Germany - 9.4 - 13 - 15

UK - 6.5 - 13 - 15

France - 5.2 - 4 - 6

Russia - 5.1 - 5 - 6

Rest - 24.8 - 45 - 60

So it can gross anything between 130-165m from current markets. Let's say 150m. That will mean it will be at 975m before opening in China.

Four $ billion blockbusters in one year. Amazing!This is one of the great B.O. stories that came out of 2012. What a year!

Yes and no.It's fantastic that we had yet another billion dollar grosser, but given the success of the LOTR films over 10 years ago, The Hobbit should have done OS, what it's going to do WW.

$1.5B is the new threshold now, and only The Avengers did it.

Exactly. Given how rapidly the OS market has expanded in just the last four years, as well as post-Avatar 3D, too many films have been aided along to $1B: $1.5B IS the new benchmark.
  • Like 1