baumer

Weekend Estimates pg 60 Mad3 60.3 Prom 50.0

There's been a bit of, shall we say, parity in regards to the quality of the summer blockbusters. Two movies that were expected to be masterpieces (Snow White and Prometheus) turned out to be middling and two movies that were expected to be disasters (MIB3 and Madagascar 3) turned out to be better than expected.

This. On the money. Edited by fishnets

There's been a bit of, shall we say, parity in regards to the quality of the summer blockbusters. Two movies that were expected to be masterpieces (Snow White and Prometheus) turned out to be middling and two movies that were expected to be disasters (MIB3 and Madagascar 3) turned out to be pretty good.

Interesting. And true. Edited by CJohn

Just out of curiousity, but if Nikki happens to post weekend numbers inflating TDKR weekend number, will she be your hero again til someone straightens it out???

She will still be the bitch we all hate to love :P Edited by CJohn

It's still in the article.

FRIDAY 4:30 PM UPDATE: Rival studios now say Fox’s Prometheus is looking to open with a huge $26M Friday and $68M weekend. That’s rare indeed for an R-rated pic. But Fox, the studio that specializes in lowering expectations, disputes those numbers. “There is no mathematical scenario I know of that we hit $68M. Even at $26M for today, we get to $66.5M – and there is nothing on this green earth that shows us hitting $26M today,” a Fox exec huffed at me. “I could see us doing $22M today which would likely get us to $56M.” No matter, a great result.

It's still in the article.

FRIDAY 4:30 PM UPDATE: Rival studios now say Fox’s Prometheus is looking to open with a huge $26M Friday and $68M weekend. That’s rare indeed for an R-rated pic. But Fox, the studio that specializes in lowering expectations, disputes those numbers. “There is no mathematical scenario I know of that we hit $68M. Even at $26M for today, we get to $66.5M – and there is nothing on this green earth that shows us hitting $26M today,” a Fox exec huffed at me. “I could see us doing $22M today which would likely get us to $56M.” No matter, a great result.

Nikke is bi-polar.

• Founder / Operator

Don't be so certain July 20th won't be a bust either.. Just saying there's ALOT of overestimating for this movie and no evidence that suggests the fanbase has increased since TDK.. That's why I think 160M OW is the max for this..

TDKR has nothing to worry about.

Prometheus could end up performing a lot like Green Lantern did last summer. And Madagascar 3 will probably end up performing a lot like its predecessor.In the summer game, I really should have flipped those two around.

• Like 1

Don't be so certain July 20th won't be a bust either.. Just saying there's ALOT of overestimating for this movie and no evidence that suggests the fanbase has increased since TDK.. That's why I think 160M OW is the max for this..

So box office ignorant.

Even if TDK retains its fanbase and it never increased it could do over 158M OW.

1. Ticket inflation since 2008. TDK if it came out today would have made 174.7M OW.

2. The recent trailers and TV Spots have earned almost universal praise by people. Yeah you might see a bunch of negative reactions online but the general public is eating up the trailers. I remember seeing the trailer with Avengers. The audiences was dead silent as the trailer played. When it finish applauses filled the theater and people cheered and a few stood up clapping. The general public is behind this.

3. Even if TDKR is awful it will not show it opening weekend but the second weekend. Bad or not this will gross over 175M opening weekend and then could see a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 drop.

Again this is arguably the most anticipated movie of summer 2012 and probably of the year for most people.

Ok so lets forget July 20th for now and discuss this weekend in this thread.

• Founder / Operator

Snow White had mixed word of mouth..not bad

Didn't say "bad", just "poor". I think mixed qualifies as "poor" -- especially when the "mixed" part leans toward bad to begin with. :P

• Founder / Operator

Ok, right off the bat, lose the whole "People stood up and applauded the movie" nonsense cause that's just a bold face lie and you know it and nothing more than your typical fanboy overhype in drive trying to sell the movie.. I'm 46 and have been to enough blockbuster movies like the rst of ya and no way did a trailer get a standing ovation and massive applause like you're suggesting.. I don't buy it..

Eh, I can back up his claim from my own experience at least. During my Avengers crowd, the TDKR trailer did receive a huge applause at the end (and the beginning even). Edited by ShawnMR