24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Rock of Ages

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Was dragged to it this evening - I LOVED it!!! It's silly, entertaining fun. The leads were bland as hell - Hollywood needs to stop trying to make Julianne Hough happen, she's NOT going to happen, absolutely no charisma and her voice was terrible - but Tom, Alec, Paul, CZJ, Russell and Malin were all great. I found myself getting bored whenever the two leads sung a stupid ballad (I can't even remember the names of those characters... not good) but then a 'supporting' character would come back on screen and liven things up again. I am not a fan of Tom Cruise but he was brilliant, totally channeling Bret Michaels hahaha, and his scenes with the Rolling Stone reporter were really fun. And I loved the music, apart from any verse sung by JH and the finale's "Don't Stop Believing" which was my fave 80s jam seven years ago but now thanks to Glee makes me want to rip my fingernails off.Honestly, it's a solid popcorn flick that accomplishes what it sets out to do: entertain. It doesn't deserve to flop and I hope it finds its legs... somehow... lol8.5/10 for me

Edited by candycane
  • Like 1

Rock of Ages is a case of what you see is what you get: a loud, rocking musical that never aspires to be anything more substantial than a fun collection of '80s song covers, and it succeeds for the most part. As I suspect was also the case for the show on which the film is based, the characters lack depth and the script doesn't take much time to develop them beyond fitting a particular type. In fact, the story and character development are really just connective tissue between the '80s hits that are covered - unsurprising considering that it's a jukebox musical. But the script fortunately sets the film in the rock music scene of the period it depicts (rather than having to contrive a non-music premise for the tunes, like Mamma Mia!) and the actors deliver the goods on the musical end. In particular, Tom Cruise is a ton of fun to watch, as he sinks his teeth into the silliness, vanity, and physicality of his role and does a solid job with his songs. Paul Giamatti, who mercifully doesn't sing more than a few lines, is also right on the money as Cruise's oily manager. Neither Diego Boneta nor Julianne Hough is particularly successful with acting or selling their characters' romance, but Boneta approaches his musical numbers with plenty of energy and Hough's more country-friendly voice doesn't fare too badly in a different genre. But the screentime required to sketch out Boneta and Hough's characters results in the shortening of fun work from Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand (their duet had my audience howling), as well as Catherine Zeta-Jones, who is quite surprisingly underused considering that she won her Oscar for a musical. The numbers are staged with gusto and the volume cranked up, but it's hard to fully appreciate the effort put into most of the numbers due to the filmmakers' preference for quick cuts. It may sound like a backhanded compliment to say that Rock of Ages is the cinematic equivalent of junk food, but that's pretty much what it is: a tasty confection that is enjoyable to consume despite its lack of substance.

B-

Edited by Webslinger

oi i feel like someone slipped a mushroom in my drink!it was a weird trip! i don't even know if there's a word to qualify this movie!i did love the songs but not the performances esp when you know how great originals are...alec baldwin and russel brand had me :blink::lol: !!!tom cruise was really channeling the rock star who's brain has been on too many drugs/booze cycle and is now functionning on another plane of existence -_-oh and i put his scene with rolling stone chick right up there with johnny depp and eva green in "dark shadows"and yes have to agree julianne and what's his name were super mehhhh and mary j blige wasted!in the genre coming to hollywood blah blah blah i still prefer "pretty woman" ;) !

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1

I have no idea why Gopher goes to see movies that he clearly is going to be against. One would think that he knows his taste in movies by now.

One would think. But I actually thought I might like Rock of Ages. I liked Hairspray, I like Tom Cruise, and I even like good campy fun. I never see a movie I don't think I'll get something out of.

i just remembered that you guys talked about it before it came out like it was some big thing, then it came out and reviews were mixed, i figured why not this past week , this is a movie where the songs/karaoke style really made the difference in that it made the pill pass better

Rented this from the video store. I really wanted to see this when it was in the theater, but I didn't want to go alone, and nobody else wanted to go either, so I missed out. I heard about all of the bad reviews and shit, so didn't know what to expect when watching the movie.First. It is awkward. Second, I love the nostalgia, and if you know your rock music, you would have to grin and smile, and point out and say, "look who it is, I remember doing that, OMG, I remember this song, is that Sebastian Bach from Skid Row in the crowd?"Well, I would initially give this a B, but I decided to watch it again, online, and fuck it, I am giving it an A. I loved everything in this.ANd really, you guys didn't see the Baldwin/Brand thing coming? When they started to sing "I love Rockin Role" I was getting a vibe from their characters. The biggest twist for me was the Catherine Zeta Jones/Stacie Jaxx connection.I gotta get this movie now, and I'm going to get the soundtrack too. My favorites songs were the "I want to know what love is" as fucking awkward as that was, and the "More Than Words/Heaven" mash up.

Edited by Warhorse
  • Like 1