Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

The Lion King 2 is better than The Lion King.

*flees*

:ph34r:

funny I was just gonna say something about the Lion king 2 being good.. but you went just a little too far

Batman Returns is fucking stupid, but I can't hate it. It's just too enjoyable regardless. Penguin in a supermarket ride Batmobile? Bruce Wayne manipulating a CD like a record, complete with DJ scratching noises? Batman ripping off his mask, complete with amazing disappearing eyeliner? Bruce and Selina dancing to a classy chamber version of Super Freak? Christopher Walken? Missile penguins? Batman's radar penguin tracking? I can't hate it, it's just too wacked out.

• Like 2

I agree, again, it's absolutely stupid and a mess, but there are parts where I can just enjoy how awful it is. Stuff like the Bat Credit Card. And as I previously said, Schwarzenegger and Thurman are at their BEST in the scenes where they're going full-on camp.

In terms of nerd-hated tentpoles of the late 90s, I'd definitely prefer to rewatch Batman & Robin 10 times than to rewatch Godzilla '98 ONCE.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Batman & Robin is a great film. No, I'm not saying it's enjoyable, I'm saying it is a genuinely good film. One of the best comic book films ever made.

:mellow:

While we're on crazy SH film opinions

Green Lantern > The Avengers

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

I think Batman Returns is better than any of the Nolan films.

I don't know if I'd say better, but it's definitely a more stylish adaptation and more faithful to the source material without reducing it to camp.

Stylish? Hell yeah. Faithful to the source material? Jury's out on that one.

Yes, I defend the movie as being enjoyable despite being completely off the rails, but Danny DeVito as the Phantom Elephant Scissorhands of the Sewers is not faithful to the source material in any way, shape or form.

But that's not saying I hate him - Tim Burton's Penguin is still one of the most utterly fucked-up villains in a non-R-rated mainstream blockbuster, and I cannot believe Burton got away with what he got away with. It's like the Frollo stuff in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, the success of a previous film or films gave the filmmakers license to pull off something you'd think executives would have vetoed before the word "go."

Edited by TServo2049