Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Devil Wears Prada is one of my favourite movies. I must've seen it like 500 times. I can quote that, (and pretty much any other Meryl Streep movie or otherwise awesome ovie) pretty much by heart. 

• Like 1

Devil Wears Prada is one of my favourite movies. I must've seen it like 500 times. I can quote that, (and pretty much any other Meryl Streep movie or otherwise awesome ovie) pretty much by heart. 

OMG...you're my soul-mate!

• Like 2

Hans Zimmer has scored over 100 movies. People judge him from just a few films. The "repetitive" scores people aways bring up make up a tiny percentage of his work. Also, the idea that his music is all just background music with no memorable themes is bullshit. 

I have never heard music from a movie and then been surprised when I found out that it was a Hans Zimmer score.

I have never heard music from a movie and then been surprised when I found out that it was a Hans Zimmer score.

I was surprised when I realized Zimmer scored The Lion King. There's woodwinds in the music!!!

• Like 3

I was surprised when I realized Zimmer scored The Lion King. There's woodwinds in the music!!!

:rofl:

(Always amuse me when people say his Batman scores are among the best orchestral score ever. There's no woodwinds in his score, how can that be "orchestral"? His Batman scores are deafening horns with strings ostinatos piled on deafening drum loops filtered with lot of electronic FX. When you hear something else like a piano in his score, it's like he used an oboe, a shamisen or an alto flute, people go "OMG Zimmer is so subtle and diverse, he uses a piano!Best composer evah!" Diversity in tone and range is more than welcome in his blockbuster music)

Well, when you know that on a single official Zimmer score, there is one dozen co-writers and arrangers with half dozen orchestrators, I don't think "Composed by Hans Zimmer" means that much. It's hard to know what exactly comes from the "genius" and what comes from his multiple collaborators. The RCP method boils down to Zimmer humming and playing some kind of minimalist melodies on his synth to give a rough direction then his minions do all the work in dividing that basis into sections, themes, arranging and orchestrating multiple tracks applying a factory recipe without much creativity.

They know it's serviceable in blockbusters given the deadlines and most people don't really care about the subtlety of orchestral scores. The sound is deafening and GA can't make the difference between loops samples with booming sounds on a 4-chords repeating synth layer pattern (=awesome!) and a real orchestra with a lot of dynamics, instrumental range and tone within a single cue.(=Boring classical music!)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

That not an unpopular opinion at all ^^

The only people who hate Gladiator are film snobs on the internet who forget that that year that the film was released did not really have much better films at all. 

The movie is still very popular with audiences and is the most well liked and popular historical epic of recent times... 

• Like 1

That not an unpopular opinion at all ^^

The only people who hate Gladiator are film snobs on the internet who forget that that year that the film was released did not really have much better films at all. 

The movie is still very popular with audiences and is the most well liked and popular historical epic of recent times... 

if there weren't many better films than gladiator then that just means it was a shit year for film. gladiator was bland and boring. is that an unpopular opinion? :P

Coraline is a terrible movie

Captain America is the best non-Avengers movie in the MCU

The Incredible Hulk is the worst film in the MCU

Hugo should’ve won BP and BD in 2011 among the nominees

The Muppets was the best film of 2011 by a mile. Heck, it’s the best film of the decade (2011-2012)

Contagion is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen

Kung Fu Panda 2 is ridiculously better than the first.

How to Train Your Dragon has the best 3D so far, even beating out Avatar and Hugo.

Dead Man’s Chest is the worst POTC movie, although On Stranger Tides sucks too.

The first half of Inception is Christopher Nolan’s worst film; the second half is his best film.

The Last Airbender was one of the most entertaining films of 2010.

Sally Field shouldn’t have even been nominated for Best Supporting Actress last year.

Going with the above, if it weren’t for DDL’s performance, Lincoln would’ve utterly sucked.

Iron Man 3’s box office run pisses me off since, although it’s a good movie, it doesn’t deserve nearly as much money as it’s getting.

Confrontation is my favorite vocal performance in Les Miserables, because Jackman and Crowe’s voices have great contrast.

Besides Leo, Jason Clarke had the best performance in The Great Gatsby.

Tobey Maguire’s performance in Gatsby was fantastic comic relief.

Brave was a piece of crap that has a great first half hour that’s wasted once they remove the best part of the movie.

As great as the Incredibles was, I don’t want a sequel because I’d rather have Brad Bird do original movies (or a live-action superhero movie.)

The Iron Giant is the best Superman movie so far made.

Eckhart was better than Ledger in The Dark Knight.

The Hangover is a lot funnier when it’s edited down for TV

The Incredibles is the best superhero movie of all time.

Lieutenant Dan should’ve won the Supporting Acting Oscar.

IMAX 3D is one of the worst things that’s ever happened to movie making (here’s looking at STID)

Star Trek 09 is the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back

As much as I like the movie, The Social Network’s OST is completely overrated and HTTYD or Inception should’ve won the Oscar.

Devil Wears Prada is the most boring comedy I’ve ever seen; the only good part is Streep.

Edited by Blank of Steel