Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Tom Hardy is overrated it is not even funny.Why he gets so many juicy parts is beyond me.

I kinda agree. I think he's a pretty good actor, but I don't know, his acting styles and manners, he just doesn't appeal to me.

Tom Hardy is overrated it is not even funny.

Why he gets so many juicy parts is beyond me.

I think he is awesome in his more serious roles like Inception, The Dark Knight Rises and especially Warrior. I still have to watch many of his movies.

Yea, it's true that Iron Man 3 got positive reviews, I don't deny that. It's just that, for me, at least, there is a difference in reviews when it comes to dark and gritty movies and family movies. The family movies are purely made for entertainment, and of course, if people have a good time at them, they will give it good reviews, but when it comes to movies that try to be serious (The Dark Knight Trilogy/Man of Steel), the reviewer will always question more things like: story, script, acting, directing. I don't think everyone questions these things when they watch a Iron Man movie compared to a Dark Knight movie.

As I said, when it comes to reviews for a movie like this, I, personally, try to ignore them and make my own opinion. Now, people who disliked Iron Man clearly didn't enjoy it, despite it trying to be the enjoyable movie it totally was marketed at (or not...w/e). I didn't like Iron Man 3 at all. I mean, it wasn't funny, the jokes were kind of... then there was that airplane scene that was just as bad as the Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 final battle. Wow, look at him go being in danger and shit and then we find out that Tony wasn't even in the suit in the most ridiculous way: a truck hit the suit and it was destroyed into millions of pieces (yet his suit wasn't destroyed when he crashed after the energy ran out). I think it has a lot of flaws, but people who enjoy the movie tend to ignore these.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Yea, it's true that Iron Man 3 got positive reviews, I don't deny that. It's just that, for me, at least, there is a difference in reviews when it comes to dark and gritty movies and family movies. The family movies are purely made for entertainment, and of course, if people have a good time at them, they will give it good reviews, but when it comes to movies that try to be serious (The Dark Knight Trilogy/Man of Steel), the reviewer will always question more things like: story, script, acting, directing. I don't think everyone questions these things when they watch a Iron Man movie compared to a Dark Knight movie.

The difference is that family movies are made to entertain, thus they are judged on how well they entertain. Serious movies are trying to be something higher and thus you have to look more in depth at things like story, acting, etc to see if they succeed. I see no problem. I'd be annoyed if critics tried to hold a movie like Fast & Furious 6 to arthouse standards, just like I'd be annoyed if they tried to judge a film like, say, 12 Angry Men on pure entertainment value. Different films can't all be judged on the exact same criteria. 

That being said, it's not like things like story, acting, etc are left out of the mix when reviewing an entertainment movie. If a story/script/actor/whatever is noticeably bad in a film then its entertainment value drops. Transformers has some great action scenes, but the script/characters are so bloody annoying, it seriously cuts into your entertainment of the movie. 

A then there was that airplane scene that was just as bad as the Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 final battle. 

I loved that scene! I haven't laughed so heartily at a movie in years!

On a more serious note, the airplane really isn't anything like the Twilight scene. Firstly, the action scene actually still happened. Secondly, Tony had already foreshadowed the remote control suit in the earlier half of the film. Thirdly, what difference did it make that Tony wasn't really in the suit? All that would've changed was that he wouldn't have been turned into jam by that truck at the end.

I was actually disappointed it wasn't dark and gritty. When I saw the trailer, I went crazy. Then, when it came out a friend saw it on first night and said it was funny and light I said fuck it and didn't watch it anymore.

Firstly, 'darker and grittier' doesn't mean better. Secondly, considering Avengers was a family movie, did you really expect their flagship movie series and first post-avengers movie to break that trend and miss out on a large demographic? Thirdly, it was directed by Shane Black. The guy uses a lot of dark themes and moments in the movies he directs/writes (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Lethal Weapon, etc), but they're also pretty jokey throughout (which is by no means even slightly a bad thing) so it really wasn't going to be a grim-dark TDK sort of movie.

Next you'll be telling me you thought World War Z was going to be a straight adaptation of the book.

• Like 1

Firstly, 'darker and grittier' doesn't mean better. Secondly, considering Avengers was a family movie, did you really expect their flagship movie series and first post-avengers movie to break that trend and miss out on a large demographic? Thirdly, it was directed by Shane Black. The guy uses a lot of dark themes and moments in the movies he directs/writes (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Lethal Weapon, etc), but they're also pretty jokey throughout (which is by no means even slightly a bad thing) so it really wasn't going to be a grim-dark TDK sort of movie.

Next you'll be telling me you thought World War Z was going to be a straight adaptation of the book.

Hold your horses. I never said darker and grittier is better. I just said I would've preferred that, especially after it was marketed as being such a movie.

• Like 1

Tom Hardy is overrated it is not even funny. Why he gets so many juicy parts is beyond me.

Tom Hardy is very diverse, he's different in every movie he's in and his performance in Bronson is amazing. This should be an unpopular opinion.
  • Like 1

Apollo 18 is the horror film from 2011, Apollo 13 Is the film from 1995. ;)

Apollo 13 was a much better movie than Gravity, but yeah, haha!

Posted Image

Anyway, I think Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is the best Western Animated movie this year (although Frozen may end up being better (but I kinda doubt it))

Also, I thought the new Captain America trailer was kinda crap.

• Like 1

Apollo 18 is the horror film from 2011, Apollo 13 Is the film from 1995. ;)Apollo 13 was a much better movie than Gravity, but yeah, haha!

To be clear, when he said Apollo 18, he meant the horror film. He didn't misspeak. He said it was the perfect space thriller and one of his favorite recent movies. <_<

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I know that the Nolan sharks will be circling me as soon as I say this....

Michelle Pfeiffer is a way better Catwoman than Anne Hathaway. It's not even close.

The Lost World is a perfect adventure movie blockbuster. 

3 on the other hand is just flat out poorly made. 

I'd argue the exact opposite.

Edited by Jawa
  • Like 2