Jack Nevada

Best director 2012

It's direction is. Honestly though, look at it. There's no directing choice there that's really a risk. Everything is done too the book. It's not a bad thing though.

You don't have to be risky when directing, you have to build emotion, characters, get performances out of your actors and create tension if hte script calls for it. Argo did all of that better than most this year. I'm not sure why risk is synonymous with quality.
  • Like 2

I certainly appreciate all facets of cinema, but Argo is powered by the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's classic moviemaking that's executed effortlessly. This story didn't need to be told in an unorthodox way to make me clench my fists when the plane was taking off.

I still think you don't like movies but I've grown to respect you more and more this year. You have a way of expressing your thoughts beautifully and this is one of those times as well. Nicely said Gopher.

Affleck deserves to win

To be honest, if he wins this year, I'll be thrilled.However, if O'Russell wins I would be as well, same with Tarantino, Spielberg and Madden. If Perks was given its due, I'd be thrilled if Chbosky won as well.

You don't have to be risky when directing, you have to build emotion, characters, get performances out of your actors and create tension if hte script calls for it. Argo did all of that better than most this year. I'm not sure why risk is synonymous with quality.

And I'm not denying that sometimes what's been tried and true is good. However, I think that had it taken more risk it would've had the potential to be much greater. Risk that pays off is synonymous with quality in my book because what it doe it take something normal and take it one extra step to that next level. I've got an example but I'm gonna get trashed for using it. :PIn hindsight looking at the film while the film itself is as great as ever, and gripping; the direction and the entire structure of the film is almost boring in a been there done that sort of way.

I still think you don't like movies but I've grown to respect you more and more this year. You have a way of expressing your thoughts beautifully and this is one of those times as well. Nicely said Gopher.

I'll reassert that I LOVE movies. I'm struggling to cut my list of favorite 2012 films down to 10. But Argo is a terrific film and I'm glad someone shares my love for it.

I'm confident QT wins best screenplay, and Spielberg takes this one

The way things are going right now, Lipstick is poised to win Best Original Script over QT again.Especially if they don`t give BP/BD to Bigelow.Biggie, Spielberg and Affleck are locked and loaded. Lee is a near lock. Last spot is between Tarantino (deserved), Russell (less so) and Close Up (get out).In ideal world QT would win. But his movie arrived too late.

His legacy is rock-solid already. He's just the sort of director who doesn't appeal to the Academy (like Hitchcock).

Definitely not debating that, his legacy's been cemented for a while now. Maybe if he follows Hitchcock he'll even win BP once. :P

QT movies will be more remembered than Biggie`s for sure. At least more than THL and ZDT which seem to be something that is appealing in the particular point in time and never again. At least THL was like that. And altough Internet fanboys are crazy about After Dark is that something that GA is overly familiar with?

I think ZDT will be in the same conversation as ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, THE LONGEST DAY, BATTLE OF ALGIERS, and ZODIAC for years to come.

So basically Biggie was prematurely awarded for the wrong movie,no? THL was nothing special and ZDT sounds like it`s a better movie.