Jack Nevada

Best director 2012

Worst category this year.

No it's not. Russell, and Zeitlin did great jobs on their respective movies too. I haven't seen Amour yet but Haneke was already expected to knock out Hooper by a lot of analysts, so I'm guessing he's pretty good too. Just because they didn't want to shower more praise on Bigelow so soon after she dominated awards season (undeservedly I'll add) doesn't mean the whole category sucks. Affleck is the real loser here since he's never even been nommed, but I was one of those who thought his directing in Argo was only good, not exceptional. He probably still deserved it over Zeitlin, but it's not a criminal snub or anything. Just very surprising given all the momentum he had going in. Edited by HobbitMan89

^^^ I agree that Affleck is the real loser. Haneke deserves a nom for being one of the best directors in the world today. Hooper and Bigelow are Oscar winners. Hooper's movie is just not that good and Bigelow did a poor job of defending her controversial movie. You can make a good case for Tarantino but I don't think he has a shot at winning an Oscar unless he tries to do something more conventional. His last few movies have been tribute/rip-offs of B-movies and Academy has treated them as such.