mmacader

Monday's top movies: 1. BRAVE - $9M ($75M), 2. MADAGASCAR 3 - $3M ($160M), 3. ABE LINCOLN - $2M ($18

Well if you're only counting the first run, then TA will pass Titanic as the second best "first run" of all time. I'm only talking in dollars there.Titanic also had advantages over later films, including Avatar. DVD and piracy weren't factors, gaming wasn't the entertainment beast it is now, and of course there was no VOD / streaming... let alone mobile video (like Netflix on a smartphone). I'd argue that Titanic was the last of the 70's / 80's era style runs. In that sense it is not very different from ET, SW, Jaws, etc. It's closer to the conditions those films faced than movies face now, anyway.

It still had VHS to compete with.

Well if you're only counting the first run, then TA will pass Titanic as the second best "first run" of all time. I'm only talking in dollars there.Titanic also had advantages over later films, including Avatar. DVD and piracy weren't factors, gaming wasn't the entertainment beast it is now, and of course there was no VOD / streaming... let alone mobile video (like Netflix on a smartphone). I'd argue that Titanic was the last of the 70's / 80's era style runs. In that sense it is not very different from ET, SW, Jaws, etc. It's closer to the conditions those films faced than movies face now, anyway.

All great points, yes. But I still feel that the era of ET, Jaws, SW is pretty different than Titanic's much like Avatar's is extremely different from any of the other's on the all time best box office runs. In the end though, I still have to crown Titanic as king because of number of tickets sold in its first run, the staying power, and how that fucker increased on some weekends.

All great points, yes. But I still feel that the era of ET, Jaws, SW is pretty different than Titanic's much like Avatar's is extremely different from any of the other's on the all time best box office runs. In the end though, I still have to crown Titanic as king because of number of tickets sold in its first run, the staying power, and how that fucker increased on some weekends.

Titanic is the king of first run and amazing thing is, JC repeated the success 12 years later with Avatar.

That is a dumbfounding number. Awesome.

Not really. Toy Story 3 had almost the same drop from an inflated Sunday in 2010. It's a good number, but it's more what Brave actually needed to do after the Sunday hold.

Eh...not really. VHS wasn't priced to own on anything but a few titles a year.

"Priced to own"?I was only five in 1998, but are you sure only a few movies were released? I thought it'd be like today when everything gets released on home video. Edited by lab276

Not really. Toy Story 3 had almost the same drop from an inflated Sunday in 2010. It's a good number, but it's more what Brave actually needed to do after the Sunday hold.

I'm always hesitant to compare franchises with originals, but I see what you mean.