Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

By the way I'm confident about it in France : We like animated movies, we like Disney movies, we like Hollywood movies, we like superheroes movies and we like Japanese animation (we're the biggest foreign market for manga sales after China and the US) so it's a big win. :D

But Wreck it Ralph kinda flopped in France right? And this more like WIR than Frozen and Tangled. That's why I'm a bit worried for its France (and Germany) performance.

The Academy shortlist has been announced with BH6 on it. We should easily be able to get five nominees again this year.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences revealed the 20 films that have submitted for this season's best animated picture Oscar. The films in contention, if they qualify, include:

“Big Hero 6”
“The Book of Life”
“The Boxtrolls”
“Cheatin’”
“Giovanni’s Island”
“Henry & Me”
“The Hero of Color City”
“How to Train Your Dragon 2”
“Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart”
“Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return”
“The Lego Movie”
“Minuscule – Valley of the Lost Ants”
“Mr. Peabody & Sherman”
“Penguins of Madagascar”
“The Pirate Fairy”
“Planes: Fire & Rescue”
“Rio 2”
“Rocks in My Pockets”
“Song of the Sea”
“The Tale of the Princess Kaguya”

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/big-hero-6-and-boxtrolls-lead-oscars-official-20-best-animated-picture-contenders

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

Huh. Weird Nut Job isn't on the list. Not that I expected it to be a nominee, but still. Seems the race will probably be Big Hero 6, Boxtrolls, Lego Movie, How to Train Your Dragon 2, and probably either Princess Kaguya or Song of the Sea. And Big Hero 6 will probably be the winner as well.

“Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return”

LOL

Yeah, in other words just about every feature length animated film that got a US release, no matter how limited, is on the "short List".

I think there is a much higher chance of the producers of "Legends of Oz" getting indicted for fraud then in getting a nomination. It's not every producer who can say that the Attorney Generals of several states are investigating the way money was raised for the film as possible fraud.

• Like 2

Second "Rotten" review on RT has dropped it to 88%.  The reviewer did give it 3/5 though so it's not a super bad review.

There's also lots of good reviews online that aren't on the site yet so I expect it to go back up again.

http://www.timeout.com/us/film/big-hero-6

The entire review is two paragraphs and sums it up as: 

Despite the Marvel-style origin story, it’s derivative of better Brad Bird cartoons like The Iron Giant and The Incredibles. Still, the animation is fluid and inventive, balancing action and slapstick with aplomb. It’s an enjoyable diversion from a studio that usually offers more.

...this review really doesn't read all that negatively.  That's why it's a bit confusing.

Edited by Sal

Welp, I was wrong. The reviews are now slowly starting to appear on RT, so we won't have to wait all the way until Thursday.

The Refresh button is going be heavily used by me for the BH6 page these next few days. :P

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Welp, I was wrong. The reviews are now slowly starting to appear on RT, so we won't have to wait all the way until Thursday.

The Refresh button is going be heavily used by me for the BH6 page these next few days. :P

Same here.

Man these reviews are rolling out slowly.  There's like 15 I've found that aren't on RT yet.

• Like 1

Whole thing sounds like any other superhero movie. I kinda expected more.

...why?

I mean no offense but it IS a superhero movie.  One that's made to be good for kids.

There's no point in the advertising of this that it wasn't shown to be a superhero movie.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

Second "Rotten" review on RT has dropped it to 88%. The reviewer did give it 3/5 though so it's not a super bad review.

There's also lots of good reviews online that aren't on the site yet so I expect it to go back up again.

http://www.timeout.com/us/film/big-hero-6

The entire review is two paragraphs and sums it up as:

Despite the Marvel-style origin story, it’s derivative of better Brad Bird cartoons like The Iron Giant and The Incredibles. Still, the animation is fluid and inventive, balancing action and slapstick with aplomb. It’s an enjoyable diversion from a studio that usually offers more.

...this review really doesn't read all that negatively. That's why it's a bit confusing.

Shouldn't 3/5 be positive anyway? RT seems to fuck up a lot sometimes.

• Like 1

Well, it's a superhero movie, so I don't know why you would expect more.

Because it's from Disney. I thought maybe they would jazz it up a little. I'm probably gonna end up loving it, but I mean the whole thing sounds like it could have been done Live-Action. I don't really like when a cartoon comes across like that.

• Like 1

Because it's from Disney. I thought maybe they would jazz it up a little. I'm probably gonna end up loving it, but I mean the whole thing sounds like it could have been done Live-Action. I don't really like when a cartoon comes across like that.

So animation is too good for superhero movies?  Sounds kind of limiting.

And Baymax is just too damn cute to succeed as a live action character.  It'd make him look creepy.

• Like 1