Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Mess at those reviews. I refuse to believe this will end WDAS's hot critical streak with Big Hero 6. Well it's still getting pretty good reviews so I'm probably overreacting.

Reviews are still good, but Disney just had a really hot streak with their last 3 CGI films.

• Like 1

I do think if Pixar has an underperformer or a flop, you can bet Disney will try and cut costs.

Arguably Pixar has already been living in a fantasy world, so the first major dose of reality is really going to hurt. I hope it won't happen, but eventually it will. It almost did with Cars 2, but that was averted with the tremendous sales of Cars merchandise and the financial goodwill they had from Toy Story 3 being a recent billion-dollar mega-blockbuster, but their costs have only escalated since then. Trust me, Pixar may be extremely successful, but they are always worried about cost (there is even a federal probe into illegal wage-fixing practices in this industry going on as we speak). They desperately want to hold onto their staff, especially since they don't have as large of a talent pool to draw upon like WDAS and DWA do in the Los Angeles area.

The money is on screen to be fair to them.

It had better be or else they'd be paying to retain staff just to hang around and do nothing. I bet that their upcoming TV special will look extra-special, too, although this won't show up in its budget because there is no way that ABC would pay for that. They'll have to account for the extra money spent somewhere, though, and that might be the next movie or the delayed one after that.

Good Dinosaur's budget is probably going to be huge

I would expect so because it should have been released this summer. The same goes for Inside Out since more of the staff must have worked on that one (depending on how they choose to account for the money--published/estimated movie budgets have always been a bit iffy anyway).

• Like 1

Arguably Pixar has already been living in a fantasy world, so the first major dose of reality is really going to hurt. I hope it won't happen, but eventually it will. It almost did with Cars 2, but that was averted with the tremendous sales of Cars merchandise and the financial goodwill they had from Toy Story 3 being a recent billion-dollar mega-blockbuster, but their costs have only escalated since then. Trust me, Pixar may be extremely successful, but they are always worried about cost (there is even a federal probe into illegal wage-fixing practices in this industry going on as we speak). They desperately want to hold onto their staff, especially since they don't have as large of a talent pool to draw upon like WDAS and DWA do in the Los Angeles area.

Disney/Pixar and to an extent DWA are faced with the issue that the competition is making successful films for less money and that's mostly due to not having animation in California. Sony have move its animation and VFX to Vancouver, Illumination is based in France, Warner Bros uses Animal Logic who are based in Australia while Blue Sky is based in Connecticut. Reel FX who did The Book of Life are based in Dallas. Even DWA is outsourcing certain scenes in their films to India and China and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up closing either DWA main studio or PDI and shifting production to China to cut costs.

• Like 2

Disney/Pixar and to an extent DWA are faced with the issue that the competition is making successful films for less money and that's mostly due to not having animation in California. Sony have move its animation and VFX to Vancouver, Illumination is based in France, Warner Bros uses Animal Logic who are based in Australia while Blue Sky is based in Connecticut. Reel FX who did The Book of Life are based in Dallas. Even DWA is outsourcing certain scenes in their films to India and China and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up closing either DWA main studio or PDI and shifting production to China to cut costs.

I hope they don't move overseas.  Just move somewhere cheaper in the states :(

This is starting to seem greatly familiar to Kung Fu Panda 2, based on reviews:

-lovable and large major character

-emotion grounded in grief

-more action based than most animated films

-other team members may have relatively small parts

I loved KFP2, so I'm very excited.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

You had doubts? :P

Not for a moment!  But it's still good to have it and not have to wait, especially after all the heel dragging with actually posting reviews.

Also this one Rotten review just makes me wonder how lazy a reviewer can be and still be counted.  I mean it's literally a three sentence review: http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/big-hero-6-3d/Film?oid=15390945

Shouldn't reviewers at least have to try a bit harder?  I've seen tweets that gave more info.

• Like 2