Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

So this beat Frozen's Thursday? Hmm...

Really?

Then again, I guess I shouldn't be overly surprised. The common Frozen TV spots that featured Olaf weren't especially crowd-drawing, and hype picked up around a week or so later, plus Frozen also opened alongside Catching Fire. BH6, while no Frozen, is trying to ride on the coattails of Frozen's success when Disney has finally come back on the map of "best animation company". People are thus hoping BH6 will continue the "2nd Disney Rennesisnce" trend, plus Marvel movies are kind of the thing now.

So while this won't have the same appeal or success as Frozen, I can understand at least why the Thursday gross was higher.

Edited by FrozenUnicorn

... What.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't be overly surprised. The common Frozen TV spots that featured Olaf weren't especially crowd-drawing, and hype picked up around a week or so later, plus Frozen also opened alongside Catching Fire. BH6, while no Frozen, is trying to ride on the coattails of Frozen's success when Disney has finally come back on the map of "best animation company". People are thus hoping BH6 will continue the "2nd Disney Rennesisnce" trend, plus Marvel movies are kind of the thing now.

So while this won't have the same appeal or success as Frozen, I can understand at least why the Thursday gross was higher.

I don't expect it to make Frozen's numbers in the long run, but that doesn't mean it won't have appeal or success.  It's also reaching out to a different initial audience than Frozen was (Frozen was more clearly intended for girls even if the marketing tried to focus on Olaf and Sven to attract boys).  

Also don't forget that Frozen opened earlier in the week than BH6 did so their thursday "early showing" numbers might not have been as high since those people would probably have seen it at the earliest point.

• Like 1

I just looked the past Disney films on RT and I hope Big Hero's Average Rating would at least go back to 7.3, now Big Hero 6 has the same Average as Bolt (7.2). 7.3 would be at least same as Princess and the Frog. And I do not know how Meet the Robinsons got such a good consensus.

But it is not as if these matter that much, the film is clearly good. Shame I won't see it for so long, it comes here late January.

• Like 2

I just looked the past Disney films on RT and I hope Big Hero's Average Rating would at least go back to 7.3, now Big Hero 6 has the same Average as Bolt (7.2). 7.3 would be at least same as Princess and the Frog. And I do not know how Meet the Robinsons got such a good consensus.

But it is not as if these matter that much, the film is clearly good. Shame I won't see it for so long, it comes here late January.

The roll-out for this one is extremely spread out :(

So this beat Frozen's Thursday? Hmm...

You do know that Frozen opened wide in Thanksgiving week on a Wednesday right? You can't compare them.

The best comparison for BH6 will always be with Wreck It Ralph, both opened during the first weekend of November. It had a 13.5m Friday and 49m OW. ;)

• Like 3

Really?

I think all the crappy Olaf marketing pushed people away and prevented Frozen from having a bigger opening weekend. Its OW was still great of course, but what made Frozen was the insane legs it had. Frozen's legs and staying power are what people will continue to talk about in the future.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

So this now looks clearly poised to continue 2 Studios franchise streaks within the House of Mouse.

Pixar & Marvel

Meaning, yet again, another superhero property film in 2014 is embraced by audiences.

Man, the haters must be in quite the stupor this year, again. 

When that first comic book film really fails to take off though at some point they are going to scream "we told you so"....even though they've been trying to tell us so for about 5yrs now.  :lol: Blind squirrels finding nuts doesn't count as prophetic though. 

• Like 1

Urgh it's 90% on RT with that ugly consensus.

And great thurs numbers for BH6! Hopefully it overperforms this weekend.

That's the problem with writing a consensus with just 24 reviews. Too early.

Interstellar shouldn't be certified Fresh either since it is below 75%, I hope they change it back to not having the Tomato certified Fresh badge. The only reason it has the badge was that the site was pressured to add it by the Nolanites. :P

• Like 3

That's the problem with writing a consensus with just 24 reviews. Too early.

Interstellar shouldn't be certified Fresh either since it is below 75%, I hope they change it back to not having the Tomato certified Fresh badge. The only reason it has the badge was that the site was pressured to add it by the Nolanites. :P

Interstellar has to drop below 70% to lose it's certified freshness (which it seems like RT was a bit bullied into giving by some overzealous fans).   But agreed, the consensus are always written too early.  They also tend to be a bit biased by the editor's taste for certain movies but that's to be expected.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Now I'm expecting a movie better than the Dragons and the KFPs. Hope I'm not disappointed

From what I'm hearing, it's probably going to be a lot like KFP2 in terms of mix of silly and serious.  So less serious than HTTYD2 but probably more accessible also.

• Like 2