Beasts of the Southern Wild

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Beasts of the Southern Wild

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It definitely had great music with this one recurring theme with like a twinkling kind of pianoish sound and then heavy strings.The "beasts" have nothing to do with anything.The girl isn't very likable - she pretty much almost kills her dad after burning down her house on purpose and hiding in the flames.The dad is an idiot, their friends are all idiots.That's all you need to know.

Well to start, I thought it was alright. I give it a solid B. Most of the movie's faults that I find are of no fault of it's own. i did not like the narrative structure. I am a Show Me not Tell Me sort of person, so the voiceovers nearly put me to sleep.Luckily, in those moments of drowsiness there were some crazy amazing visuals to wake me up. I wanted a bit more Beasts for a film called Beasts of the Southern Wild but that is neither here nor there. I remembered the Oscar talk for the girl as I was watching the movie and just thinking, that are critics thinking? She didn't have much range. And don't give me, "she's young!" because she shouldn't have Oscar hype in the first place. Anyways, the story is amazingly simple. A girl and her dad are stuck in a Katrina like situation, while he suffers inwards with a heart/blood condition and she suffers inwardly longing for her mother. I though tit was executed well and why i gave it a B. But unfortunately the narrative structure did not allow me to get emotionally involved in the story. It will probably be as divisive as Tree of Life to the GA. My theater was 80% full of old people. There were a few laughs at the right times but and there was dead silence after the credits. Even Tree of Life got sparing applause at the art house theater i go to.

I thought Quvenzhané Wallis had the range of a pro who had been at this for years. She was wonderful and I'm glad she's getting attention for this role. But when the focus wasn't on her and Dwight Henry's father character I wasn't really interested. The real-world implications in the third act took the magic out of it.Still, really solid movie with a nice visual flair.

It's one of the prettiest films of recent memory, and that's pretty impressive for a <$5m budget.

The rest of the movie's pretty fantastic too. The girl is amazing, and the film perfectly blends style and substance. I'd definitely recommend this.

A-

I loved this movie. The two leads are absolutely fantastic. The only problem I had was the ending--it was incongruously bleak for the rest of the movie. I understand why some could interpret it as a happy ending, but the film leaves too ambiguous a judgment of the Bathtub's residents. They were clearly meant to be portrayed positively, but they certainly didn't seem to help themselves by the end. The cinematography, music, and art direction are all stunning.9/10, #1 of 2012 so far

My top 3 for 2012 yesterday:1) Moonrise Kingdom2) Argo3) The GreyMy top 3 today:1) Beasts of the Southern Wild2) Moonrise Kingdom3) ArgoLove just isn't a strong enough word for how I felt about this. It's certainly the best film since Drive, possibly since Black Swan, and I'll be amazed if a better film comes out this year.The mixed comments don't surprise me though. It's very open about its emotions and I suppose some will find it mawkish. But if you're on the fence about watching it, think of BOTSW as this: Days of Heaven made by David Simon.

Very powerful cinema, with a girl actor who carries the whole thing without missing a beat. This could be such a depressing story but it's not, it's in fact completely life-affirming. I think the philosphy can be reduced to what Hushpuppy says midway through:

"When you're small, you got to fix what you can."

I'm not sure I want to watch this very often, it's a bit of a draining experience, but highly recommended.

Solid-ish movie, but you can tell almost everyone involved was relatively new to filmmaking, acting, etc.Wallis and the score are the high points, don't get the love for Henry's performance. Half the time he just glowers or drunkenly grunts.

I loved this movie. Its an absolute joy to watch.

Beasts is something very different, that's for sure. There isn't really any movie I could compare it to, maybe Where the Wild Things Are has a similar atmosphere, but that thing was just boring and Spike Jonze got lost in his own ass making it.

Quadfvergebee Wallis is terrific in front on the camera, she has to be the best child actor in the longest time. Henry Dwight as the dad was even better imo. His character reminded me in a way of Brad Pitt's character in The Tree of Life. They're both very conflicted men, who obviously care for the children but have been somehow completely disillusioned of the world.

The cinematography is crisp and fresh, and the music is teriffic.

One of the best films of 2012

5/5