diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

D-01 PS at 132k, ‘bout what I expected. Doesn’t look headed for a huge OD, but should easily be the biggest since covid. Weekdays and 2nd weekend hold will be where the real action happens imo.

i think that will hold true for any movie this year

Overall final PS are 199k at 1AM, indeed juuuuust shy of 200.    

OD CGV PS clocking in at 70k. TLK took 72k last year to an OD of 305k, but I haven’t been paying enough attention to CGV hourlies to know if covid affected the CGV share much so I’m not going to really predict anything. I guess CGV final should be 150-200 for OD of like 250-400 😛 

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Overall final PS are 199k at 1AM, indeed juuuuust shy of 200.    

OD CGV PS clocking in at 70k. TLK took 72k last year to an OD of 305k, but I haven’t been paying enough attention to CGV hourlies to know if covid affected the CGV share much so I’m not going to really predict anything. I guess CGV final should be 150-200 for OD of like 250-400 😛 

CGV OD being 35% of overall PS is highest I have seen. Two things. PS is OD loaded, which make sense. Also CGV share will be higher than 50%. Most likely in 60-65% I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

CGV OD being 35% of overall PS is highest I have seen. Two things. PS is OD loaded, which make sense. Also CGV share will be higher than 50%. Most likely in 60-65% I guess.

Yeah, that’s my hunch. Low end/low end on my very wide ranges would be 60%, high/high 62.5. But maybe it will even come in at like, 70 🤷‍♂️   

After OD everything runs predictably but on OD it’s a crapshoot    

Also I guess it’s possible that reduced capacity deflates the CGV PSm from normal. Doomsday scenario would be like 120 final CGV, 180 day, but seems very unlikely for now.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Also I guess it’s possible that reduced capacity deflates the CGV PSm from normal.

It could be also that people might not plan in advance when to watch a film in Covid. Guess we will only know tomorrow.

But guess we have seen 1.3mn plus days, there's enough capacity for a 400k day atleast.

• Like 1

So 86,000 at 11:20, hourly increase are par The Lion King which was a big film in Normal mid July, so that make it close to normalcy. Donno why I remember the negativity around TLK PSm but now it look just fine.

If it continues to follow TLK, will reach CGV 150K, which usually would have meant 340k range day but I expect CGV to overperform. So expecting 250k full day from 150k CGV. That's about par as what Train To Busan was doing in its previews. Opening Day would be way short.

Train To Busan Weekend for comparison

Day Date Admissions
Fri 15 Jul 2016 121,533
Sat 16 Jul 2016 219,009
Sun 17 Jul 2016 220,286
Mo 18 Jul 2016 2,787
Tue 19 Jul 2016 1,651
We 20 Jul 2016 872,673
Thu 21 Jul 2016 663,365
Fri 22 Jul 2016 738,823
Sat 23 Jul 2016 1,282,013
Sun 24 Jul 2016 1,195,273

Update: Good last hour, much better than The Lion King. May be 300k is still a possibility. Average Ticket Price at KOBIS is currently ₩8,770, which is higher than usual.  OD ATP could be ₩8,000 as compared to Endgame ₩7,226 or original's ₩7,520. $2mn OD possible.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heh, I was going to say pretty much the exact same stuff when the noon numbers came in. It’s an interesting coincidence that the CGV numbers are so close to TLK which was the same weekend last year.

In normal circumstances Peninsula should do better night business than TLK if matching  the morning pace, due to adult vs family movie. So was going to guess 160-175ish final CGV.   

There’s a new egg feature of “pre egg” where it scored 97% — but initial golden egg is just 80. It’s super early, and GA audience could diverge a bit from those attending preview and OD morning shows, but definitely a bad start. Perhaps @imbruglia can shed some more light on exactly what the Pre Egg is and how it works.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

from the trailers it seemed like they turned this sequel into a generic action movie (the first movie didn't even have guns iirc) when the first movie was way more character driven. so I have been curious to see how the reception on this will be.

on the other hand, koreans ate up Extreme Job (2019) last year and that was as generic as action comedies go so who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

There’s a new egg feature of “pre egg” where it scored 97% — but initial golden egg is just 80. It’s super early, and GA audience could diverge a bit from those attending preview and OD morning shows, but definitely a bad start.

I used google translate and it said "pre egg" was "the expected evaluation before release" 

which sounds like it's how much people were anticipating it? maybe it's like the thing RT had for movies pre-release. (before they changed to verified rating)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I used google translate and it said "pre egg" was "the expected evaluation before release" 

which sounds like it's how much people were anticipating it? maybe it's like the thing RT had for movies pre-release. (before they changed to verified rating)

Seems plausible. Golden Egg is now even worse at so legs may not be great even with the lack of competition.   

I’m going to bed, but the 15:20 reading is pointing to a final CGV of about 180-190. See what the CGV ratio is when I wake up.

Pretty good walk ins, CGV selling 116k during the day, that's like +45% The Lion King.

Anyhow, with 188k CGV final, I expect Korea full day of around 350k. On higher end, it could be 390-400k but I will take my chances at 340k.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

first day number is around 350k.

current kobis number 279k is without lotte cinema.

cgv egg 78%, 13:20 54k

lotte cinema rating 7

megabox rating 7.6

the reactions are really bad.

pre-egg is simply chossing "excited" or "not" before you see it.

they removed the previous want to see # thing and replaced with this.

*train to busan was 91% cgv egg

and first day 872,673

Edited by imbruglia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

first day number is 350k. current kobis number 279k is without lotte cinema.

cgv egg 78%, 13:20 54k

lotte cinema rating 7

megabox rating 7.6

the reactions are really bad.

pre-egg is simply chossing "excited" or "not" before you see it.

they removed the previous want to see # thing and replaced with this.

:hahaha:  

25% better than we realized from KOBIS, that’s quite a boost. Thanks for the clarification.   

So CGV share is a pretty normal 53%ish then. Today probably going for about 120 final CGV, so 220ish full day.