diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

OK, Roaring Currents: (Minor Spoilers ahead possibly)

The Good -

CHoi Min-sik is pretty damn good. He brings the gravitas to the role that was needed and the whole film you felt he was ready to fuck shit up if needed to.

The sea battles were impressive and considered the Budget was probably on a par with Earth to Echo, it was visually impressive (barring the shitty CGI) and the final hour was very entertaining for the most part.

The Bad -

Whoever wrote the script clearly came from the Mel Gibson school of history. At one point it almost felt like a superhero origin story as Yi Sun Shin starts getting into hand to hand combat.

Let's make the Japanese super evil monsters to an absurd degree because they are the bad guys. I know they were bad, but this seemed ridiculously over the top so. (I am not that up date with the fine points of this battle to know if all the atrocities and tactics shown did in fact happen, but to refer back to Mr Gibson, it felt a little like the British in the Patriot: Yep they were the bad guys but why not make them super evil to hammer this fact home.  

The beginning builds up so many sub plots and dramas, just so that there can be tearjerking or inspirational moments during the climax. This film could have probably almost cut about 3 main characters out of the story entirely and been better for it.

Overall - Although it may not seem it, I think this film was pretty entertaining. Maybe I'd have enjoyed the first half more with subtitles but it just seemed to drag. Maybe a bit akin to Godzilla in that the scenese with GodZilla (naval battles) are awesome, but the rest not so much. 

It's probably worth watching, but potentially to a non-Korean the story could seem a bit too melodramatic, good verse evil, The indestructable Yi-Sunshin and so forth for some to stomach.

(part of the issue there being that he really was damn near infallible in reality too).

So there you have it, a pretty entertaining blend of Braveheart, The Patriot and Godzilla.I'm sure you all know exactly what to expect now :D

• Like 2

Not only the host but avatar's record for highest admissions of all time is on track to be beaten. It's pretty much in unprecedented territory now and with the current trends, 15 million could happen even. 

As for the film itself, it mainly deals with the leadership qualities of Yi sun-sin, a man even the Japanese held in high esteem, and the struggles he faced leading up to and during the battle of myeongnyang. The naval battle scenes especially are really well done and Choi min-sik really brings the character of yi sun-sin alive.

I doubt foreigners will be as affected by it as Koreans as much of the enjoyment comes from patriotism but I still recommend you give it a watch if you have the opportunity. 

I'm surprised they showed the trailer at a theatre over there though, is it being released in Indonesia?

I'm sorry for the very late reply. Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it will be released in Indonesia this month. Blitz Megaplex, a movie theater chain here, has been releasing Korean blockbuster movies for the last 3 years, like The Thieves, Miracle in Cell No. 7, A Werewolf Boy, Secretly Greatly, Miss Granny, Snowpiercer, etc. The last one I saw in the theater was The Suspect, which was released here 2 months ago. I think I'm gonna see Roaring Currents. I like Korean movies and it's easily gonna be the biggest movie of all time so I just have to see it. :P

• Like 1

Was Yi-Sunshin a South Korean hero, or a Korean hero in general? Maybe Roaring Currents may get an unprecedented North Korean release in order to honor Korean history.

Without going in to deep into korean history, yes he was a Korean hero in general. Korea was one nation during the Choseon Dynasty (the period during which the movie is set). It's only after the Russians and Americans separated the country after the independence from Japan (1945) and the civil war (1950) that we became 2 different nations. 

As for a north Korean release, officially nothing south korean will ever get released there as we've all been brainwashed and tainted by western ideals :P but it'll find a way into the black market. Apparently Korean films and drama etc are pretty popular there.

OK, Roaring Currents: (Minor Spoilers ahead possibly)

The Good -

CHoi Min-sik is pretty damn good. He brings the gravitas to the role that was needed and the whole film you felt he was ready to fuck shit up if needed to.

The sea battles were impressive and considered the Budget was probably on a par with Earth to Echo, it was visually impressive (barring the shitty CGI) and the final hour was very entertaining for the most part.

The Bad -

Whoever wrote the script clearly came from the Mel Gibson school of history. At one point it almost felt like a superhero origin story as Yi Sun Shin starts getting into hand to hand combat.

Let's make the Japanese super evil monsters to an absurd degree because they are the bad guys. I know they were bad, but this seemed ridiculously over the top so. (I am not that up date with the fine points of this battle to know if all the atrocities and tactics shown did in fact happen, but to refer back to Mr Gibson, it felt a little like the British in the Patriot: Yep they were the bad guys but why not make them super evil to hammer this fact home.  

The beginning builds up so many sub plots and dramas, just so that there can be tearjerking or inspirational moments during the climax. This film could have probably almost cut about 3 main characters out of the story entirely and been better for it.

Overall - Although it may not seem it, I think this film was pretty entertaining. Maybe I'd have enjoyed the first half more with subtitles but it just seemed to drag. Maybe a bit akin to Godzilla in that the scenese with GodZilla (naval battles) are awesome, but the rest not so much. 

It's probably worth watching, but potentially to a non-Korean the story could seem a bit too melodramatic, good verse evil, The indestructable Yi-Sunshin and so forth for some to stomach.

(part of the issue there being that he really was damn near infallible in reality too).

So there you have it, a pretty entertaining blend of Braveheart, The Patriot and Godzilla.I'm sure you all know exactly what to expect now :D

Fair and entertaining review :P hopefully the director can sort out the problems in roaring currents in the prequel/sequel and improve the CGI with a better budget. 

At the very least, I like that HTTYD2 is still one of the very few selected films (and franchises) to find success in SK.

without a new big local film on it's ass released every single week since it's release I'm willing to bet it could have gone over 4 million admissions. The word of mouth for this was really good. I hope HTTYD3 gets a better release date.

• Like 3

Roaring currents weekly drops

week1: 4,736,603

week2: 6,019,877 (+21.3%)

To reach Avatar's all time record of 13,302,637 admissions Roaring currents needs 2,523,755 more people to watch it. It can beat Avatar as early as this week if it manages to drop less than 58.1% weekly, or average 360,537 admissions or more per day for the rest of the week. 

• Like 1

Roaring currents weekly drops

week1: 4,736,603

week2: 6,019,877 (+21.3%)

To reach Avatar's all time record of 13,302,637 admissions Roaring currents needs 2,523,755 more people to watch it. It can beat Avatar as early as this week if it manages to drop less than 58.1% weekly, or average 360,537 admissions or more per day for the rest of the week. 

That's just a fancy way of saying it's beating Avatar this week :D

That's just a fancy way of saying it's beating Avatar this week :D

Haha maybe, lets see Monday's numbers first :P

Stupid date to release Guardians, how is Roaring currents such a monster

I've made a list of several reasons on pg 168 :) Chasmmi's predictions for the summer (also on pg 168) are pretty accurate and deserve a look too.  

I dont think Disney, or any other studio, predicted Roaring Currents to be this huge.

True, but GotG would still have suffered even if RC wasn't such a monster hit. 4 highly anticipated local films in 4 weeks along with how to train your dragon 2 meant GotG would always have suffered when it came to screens and showtimes allocation. Dawn of the planet of the apes and lucy caught wind of this pretty quick and moved their release schedules accordingly (even though they were highly criticized for it).

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

I am thinking it should beat Avatar by Saturday for sure. How'z competition looking ahead. Will it hold reasonable number of screens over next few weeks?

Sea fog is the next big competition. It drops in the theatres on Wednesday (this week). It's highly anticipated but also restricted to the 18+ age group so it really needs the 20-40 age group to carry it (ie: it needs good word of mouth). The Fate in our stars and Begin Again are also released on the same day and are unfortunately they're likely to suffer from lack of screens and pose little threat to roaring currents. The next sure-fire hit is another local film, Brilliant Life which is set to be released on September 3. Between that time, besides a few mid-sized films there isn't much in the way of competition.

Of course another thing to consider is that South Korea isn't really a leggy market, like Japan for instance. Once a film starts winding down the drops can be harsh. More important than the competition I believe, is how many more people are willing to see roaring currents in the theatres. SK isn't the most populous of countries and 11 million admissions is already a huge number. Despite the fact that it's currently accumulating admissions at a breakneck pace, it may sooner or later reach a ceiling where nearly all the potential movie goers have already seen the film and it starts dropping of it's own accord because it runs out of people to see it. I'm not even sure 20 million is possible (2 out of 5 people?  :blink: ). 

Of course this is just my speculation really, Roaring currents is in uncharted waters. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

. Despite the fact that it's currently accumulating admissions at a breakneck pace, it may sooner or later reach a ceiling where nearly all the potential movie goers have already seen the film and it starts dropping of it's own accord because it runs out of people to see it. I'm not even sure 20 million is possible (2 out of 5 people?  :blink: ). 

Of course this is just my speculation really, Roaring currents is in uncharted waters. 

Any idea yet on the repeat business?  It has to be a larger than usual percent.  Also, are people taking their kids to see it more than usual with this type of movie?

Edited by TalismanRing

Any idea yet on the repeat business?  It has to be a larger than usual percent.  Also, are people taking their kids to see it more than usual with this type of movie?

Good point. Repeat viewing for Roaring currents is larger than for a typical movie but the lowest out of the 10 million plus admission films. And yes, many parents are taking their kids to see this film to learn about the history of Yi sun-sin.

01. 11.31% Taegukgi: Brotherhood of war

02.   9.64% Silmido

03.   8.33% Avatar

04. 8.10% Frozen

05.   8.06% Kind and the Clown

06.   7.72% The Attorney

07.   6.91% The thieves

08.   6.70% Miracle in Cell no.7

09.   6.62% Masquerade

10.   6.52% The Host

11.   6.32% Haeundae

12.   3.70% Roaring Currents (Repeat viewing figure by August 7)

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1