Taylor

Weekend Estimates: #1-TED 54.1m; #2-MM 39.16m; #3-BRAVE 34m; #4-MADEA 26.35m; #5- MAD3 11.82m

A guilty pleasure is something you enjoy honestly and fully though, just that you'd be kind of embarrassed to admit it.

That's exactly what she's saying. The only reason to be embarrassed is because you care what others think. Otherwise it wouldn't be an embarrassment.

Damn. That's a huge Fri - Sat drop for Mike. Good thing it doesn't matter since the budget is so small!

thats what happen when ur front loaded. Edited by Dragon

Then you are not enjoying it fully and honestly because you are lying about it and using these stupid little disclaimers (it's a guilty pleasure) to justify that you enjoy them.

I think acceptance for things can only come with age though. As a teen, it's hard not to care what others think.

A guilty pleasure, to me, is more about really enjoying something for subjective reasons, that you know is objectively bad.For instance I enjoy reading some pretty trashy, generic fantasy novels sometimes. But it's a 'guilty pleasure', if you will, because I know that the books are pretty badly written (poor prose, bad use of language, poorly edited etc. etc.). The same can apply to a movie or a tv show or whatever.This is different to liking something that you would be embarrassed about simply because it isn't 'cool' or in vogue at the moment, but which is still critically and objectively good.Does that even make any sense? :lol:

• Like 2

A guilty pleasure, to me, is more about really enjoying something for subjective reasons, that you know is objectively bad.For instance I enjoy reading some pretty trashy, generic fantasy novels sometimes. But it's a 'guilty pleasure', if you will, because I know that the books are pretty badly written (poor prose, bad use of language, poorly edited etc. etc.). The same can apply to a movie or a tv show or whatever.This is different to liking something that you would be embarrassed about simply because it isn't 'cool' or in vogue at the moment, but which is still critically and objectively good.Does that even make any sense? :lol:

That's a good distinction to make.

Magic Mike is/will be dropping like a rock but nobody will care. They've made back the budget, hell they've probably made back the P&R budget with a 40m weekend. It's funny to think that the only movies that have outopened Ted in admissions this year are: Avengers, Hunger Games, Lorax, Brave and Snow White. Those last three barely did it. And Ted cost 50m to make! Even if WOM is just 'good' it's going to be making upwards of 170m with summer weekdays ahead.

Edited by Gopher

Well I'm sure most straight guys wouldn't willingly admit they liked Magic Mike to their straight buddies, hence it becomes a "guilty pleasure" for him.

No, straight teenagers wouldn't admit it. But I didn't care what people think of me. I told all my office buddies that I wanted to see Madea and MM this weekend. They'er all married and have kids and none of them even joked with me about the whole gay thing. Young people are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too concerned with appearances and what others might think. I like what I like. And guess what? Not only do I like Twilight and Transformers, I actually have one Justin Bieber song and one Taylor Swift song on my I-pod. Good workout tunes.
  • Like 3

Magic Mike is/will be dropping like a rock but nobody will care. They've made back the budget, hell they've probably made back the P&R budget with a 40m weekend. It's funny to think that the only movies that have outopened Ted in admissions this year are: Avengers, Hunger Games, Lorax, Brave and Snow White. Those last three barely did it. And Ted cost 50m to make! Even if WOM is just 'good' it's going to be making upwards of 170m with summer weekdays ahead.

Yep, and MM cost 5 mill. lol

No, straight teenagers wouldn't admit it. But I didn't care what people think of me. I told all my office buddies that I wanted to see Madea and MM this weekend. They'er all married and have kids and none of them even joked with me about the whole gay thing. Young people are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too concerned with appearances and what others might think. I like what I like. And guess what? Not only do I like Twilight and Transformers, I actually have one Justin Bieber song and one Taylor Swift song on my I-pod. Good workout tunes.

I also have one Taylor Swift song, two from Miley Cyrus and that 'Call Me Maybe' song. I think it is so funny :lol:People should start to respect everyone's taste, but most don't do it. I also like Transformers and I also want to see Magic Mike in theaters and I have no problem saying it to my friends. I am 18 and I can confirm that young people are really stupid with those things. Edited by CJohn

And a guilty pleasure doesn't really have anything with being cool or not made fun of or whatever. I adore Regina Spektor's music, and I don't like discussing it around my friends or certainly not by dad, but she is not a guilty pleasure because her music is fantastic and the is nothing to be guilty about. A guilty pleasure is more along the lines of Five Finger Death Punch or newer Shinedown. Stuff you know isn't good but is still enjoyable to you in a subjective, opinion capacity. Also, I haven't seen any Madea movies, but I overheard my mom watching it the other day, and boy if that wasn't the worst fucking movie I've ever overheard.