Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

I've watched the trailer a dozen times already. I just love movies that build worlds like that and I think this one looks fantastic, plenty of potential.

I love the small sequence at 0:23, I really hope we see more of that kind of imagery, it looked marvelous and very intriguing on top of that. 1:05 also looks incredibly cool.

Spoiler

tv7iaejniccunwkqwvqm.gif

That action sequence that starts at 1:10  and then again at 1:21 though? I live for that kind of stuff. I hope there's plenty of that in the movie!

Hyped.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The only weird thing in this movie : Cara always seems bored with the same expression, almost expressionless you could say.

Dane has this dopy eyes as if he is bored. Cara is just one note expressionless...i wish Besson had hired actors with charisma..moreover they come across as young teenagers..sigh. Rest of the stuff looks awesome. But dammit. 

Huge miscasts. If this movie flops it willl be because of these leads not because of action or vfx.

11 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Dane has this dopy eyes as if he is bored. Cara is just one note expressionless...i wish Besson had hired actors with charisma..moreover they come across as young teenagers..sigh. Rest of the stuff looks awesome. But dammit. 

Huge miscasts. If this movie flops it willl be because of these leads not because of action or vfx.

Maybe other young actors were too costly...They should try some new actors playing in US TV shows, there are some talents there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Maybe other young actors were too costly...They should try some new actors playing in US TV shows, there are some talents there.

The movie has a 180 million budget. You are telling me he can't afford well known leads + rest of cast on a 10-20 million budget and finish rest of the movie on a 140-150 million  budget?  I mean i doubt dane and cara cost much..maybe rihana..2 million tops..she is a non actress and cannot command a big paycheck. I feel Luc is spending close to 170 on just the sets, vfx action and stuff which is outrageous. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

The movie has a 180 million budget. You are telling me he can't afford well known leads + rest of cast on a 10-20 million budget and finish rest of the movie on a 140-150 million  budget?  I mean i doubt dane and cara cost much..maybe rihana..2 million tops..she is a non actress and cannot command a big paycheck. I feel Luc is spending close to 170 on just the sets, vfx action and stuff which is outrageous. 

Well, that's typically Luc Besson : spending big on putting on a show while lagging when  it comes to the rest, without real depth.

This time could be different because the source material is not from him, he just has to take whatever is available in the comics.

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, that's typically Luc Besson : spending big on putting on a show while lagging when  it comes to the rest, without real depth.

This time could be different because the source material is not from him, he just has to take whatever is available in the comics.

Umm still needs to have a solid story and performances otherwise critics won't be kind. Moreover, the star wars and guradians comparison puts it at a disadvantage. Marvel and Star Wars loonies/supporting critics will put their magnifying glasses on when critiquing this.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Umm still needs to have a solid story and performances otherwise critics won't be kind. Moreover, the star wars and guradians comparison puts it at a disadvantage. Marvel and Star Wars loonies/supporting critics will put their magnifying glasses on when critiquing this.

That's quite certain, that's why I won't take them into account, I'll try to go deeper to know if it's good or not because I don't expect them to be nice.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2016 at 8:34 AM, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Visuals look good but I did not like what I saw from the two leads. 

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I like almost all of Besson's work (except for The Family, ugh.) and the visuals do look great, but the leads look woefully miscast, especially Delevigne. I picture her as the female version of Hayden Christensen in the SW movies.

• Like 1