Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

16 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Dang, already a consensus after 24 reviews ? isn't that a little too early.

They can change it if they have to. The 6/10 average rating (4.4/10 from Top Critics) does not create a lot of confidence about how it's going to hold up over the next 200+ reviews. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't understand the "top critics" part if I'm being honest.  It just means a certain, randomly selected group of publications (dis)liked it better than the other randomly selected group of publications.  MTV is considered a "top critic" too, for Christ's sake.

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I think the Top Critics on RT means that those guys are actually qualified critics and not just bloggers on some random website or news outlet with an opinion.

I think most of BOT user on this board can actually be good critic, probably better than some of the ones that are out there.

The normal BOT users not the extreme ahem (left/right) CB fandom :D

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah, I don't understand the "top critics" part if I'm being honest.  It just means a certain, randomly selected group of publications (dis)liked it better than the other randomly selected group of publications.  MTV is considered a "top critic" too, for Christ's sake.

MTV isn't a Top Critic, Amy Nicholson is. She just happens to be writing for MTV right now after being with LA Times for quite a while.

The reviews for this have actually been tracking closely to GITS so far, which started similarly with a pretty high Tomato Score after the first 20+ reviews which led everyone to believe it would actually end up certified fresh. The average rating does not inspire confidence it will stay there currently, Critics Choice actually fell to 55/100 which is basically pointing towards the same Top Critics not being fans of this movie.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I think the Top Critics on RT means that those guys are actually qualified critics and not just bloggers on some random website or news outlet with an opinion.

The thing is though, is it's acting like certain opinions are superior to other ones solely because they write for a different publication.  It's a bullshit, elitist kind of attitude that seems to try to nullify others opinions solely because "Oh, they're not a top critic!"  RT has a very flawed system, and the whole "Top Critics" choosing is one of their many flaws.