Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

10 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

https://twitter.com/intothecrevasse/status/883377103537930241

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS: this makes STAR WARS look like a fucking Tinkertoy set. Besson knows how to spend $200 million.

Any update on the China release? Valerian needs it to guarantee a sequel/trilogy.

They really should have released it on July 28th or first week August. This way they could have also screened it at comic-con and got tons of free media coverage and positive buzz as that crowd would have eaten it up because of the visuals,action and world building. Absolutely stupid release date. It was nothing but a dick contest, where 1 dick gets bigger and bigger while other gets smaller and smaller.

12 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

https://twitter.com/intothecrevasse/status/883377103537930241

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS: this makes STAR WARS look like a fucking Tinkertoy set. Besson knows how to spend $200 million.

How George Lucas...

Bad dialogue is not a petty concern unless you're making a silent movie.  

@That One Guy

We saw the 5 minute preview.

It was terrible and I'm not joking. Not because it's a bad scene. But because it's such a misguided marketing piece that is more likely to confuse rather than excite audiences. It's not even that bonkers visually compared to some of the other stuff we saw.

I legit think this was a bad idea to use the opening 5 minutes and attach it to Spider-Man. I think it'll do more harm than good

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

@That One Guy

It was terrible and I'm not joking. Not because it's a bad scene. But because it's such a misguided marketing piece that is more likely to confuse rather than excite audiences. It's not even that bonkers visually compared to some of the other stuff we saw.

I legit think this was a bad idea to use the opening 5 minutes and attach it to Spider-Man. I think it'll do more harm than good

:WHATanabe: 

I refuse to believe it.  I am in denial.  It will do good!

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

@That One Guy

Can you describe the scene in a spoil tag?

It's only the first 5 minutes after all. If it's not allowed pm me? Please? Very curious.

Edited by Arlborn

21 minutes ago, MrPink said:

@That One Guy

That really seems to be the m.o. for this films marketing, at least if it's as good as the folks who've seen it early say. It's like their entire marketing campaign is equivalent to that one bad Homecoming poster.

A friend of mine who saw the opening 5 minutes said it was shit. Sorry folks this ain't cracking 20 let alone 25. The marketing has been really bad. This needed a proper big studio marketing machine. I wonder why Universal didn't distribute it after tasting success with Lucy.

10 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Any update on the China release? Valerian needs it to guarantee a sequel/trilogy.

End of Aug. or later...Blackout of protecting local films.

This probably can do better in China than US but still can't be saved if it only make $55m in DOM. :qotd:

Sometimes I really don't understand why so many audience and moviegoers think Luc Besson is a master after shooting so many many bad films...

Just now, Gavin Feng said:

End of Aug. or later...Blackout of protecting local films.

This probably can do better in China than US but still can't be saved if it only make $55m in DOM. :qotd:

Sometimes I really don't understand why so many audience and moviegoers think Luc Besson is a master after shooting so many many bad films...

What are his bad movies in your opinion?

You know what this movie reminds me of? Speed racer. Another movie that was visually spectacular and in some ways bonkers, but tanked with critics and at the box-office. I remember the initial reactions for the movie were quite good but then it was a complete 180 closer to the release date. 

I actually think Speed Racer is an awesome live action anime film. Highly underrated.

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What are his bad movies in your opinion?

I've only seen three of his most famous works in China, The Fifth ElementLéon and Lucy. IMO, all three are bad movies.

Edited by Gavin Feng

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Pink's right, it was a terrible piece of marketing. It'll likely be fine as an in-context opening scene, but they probably had a bunch of other scenes to choose from that would have gotten people excited. This will likely do the opposite.

What a honest shame. This movie needs all the hype it can get.

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I've only seen three of his most famous works in China, The Fifth ElementLéon and Lucy. IMO, all three are bad movies.

Oh okay, well, I think all of them are great movies.

• Like 1