Impact

Has the Love for Avatar really disapeared that much?

Inception sold about 6M copies and that made 292M while Avatar sold 10M and made 760M. Now I am not saying this means people didn't like Avatar or something but maybe it is a film many people feel they did not need to own or watch on the small screen. And someone brought up TS3, which sold more than Avatar yet was not as big a hit in theaters

TS3 is also a kids movie, and they do really well on DVD.

if people dont respect avatar now a bad first sequel cold be a disaster for the otrer 2

But if people do respect avatar, a good first sequel cold be a heaven for the otrer 2.Now we just have to figure out if people respect Avatar or not. :P Edited by vc2002

i think the avatar/cameron disrespect ridiculous , avatar is a 2009 film and no director came close of this visuals or scale nor will in the near future , remember that avatar is not even the most expensive film anymore.

i think the avatar/cameron disrespect ridiculous , avatar is a 2009 film and no director came close of this visuals or scale nor will in the near future , remember that avatar is not even the most expensive film anymore.

As far as visual effects go, I'm not that impressed by Avatar. It's going to look pretty dated in a few years. Compare that to Titanic, whose effects still look spectacular.

Edited by lab276

But if people do respect avatar, a good first sequel cold be a heaven for the otrer 2.Now we just have to figure out if people respect Avatar or not. :P

But if people do respect avatar, a good first sequel cold be a heaven for the otrer 2.Now we just have to figure out if people respect Avatar or not. :P

i i respect avatar but i feel here in brasil a few people fell the same. people want for a better story for the sequels but i think cameron is going for the same way again revolutionary graphics and a so so story lets see. but avatar is the only franchise that people are calling a 1 billion dollars gross a big failure.

As far as visual effects go, I'm not that impressed by Avatar. It's going to look pretty dated in a few years. Compare that to Titanic, whose effects still look spectacular.

It wont. Mo-cap is one of the major factors of creating the visuals in Avatar, and since we wont see films in the near future using mo-cap on such a grand scale, visuals in Avatar will hold very well in a few years.

Practially effects in Titanic are spectacular, but some of those involving CGI now look rather dated. But this happens for every single film that contains CGI.

Edited by vc2002

i i respect avatar but i feel here in brasil a few people fell the same. people want for a better story for the sequels but i think cameron is going for the same way again revolutionary graphics and a so so story lets see. but avatar is the only franchise that people are calling a 1 billion dollars gross a big failure.

I dont think Avatar's story is so so. It's certainly not the greatest, but imo it is the same as Titanic's: simple, but emtional. The story played a big role in its massive success. And dont forget Cameron's engaging storytelling. A film is not just about the story. It's also about how to tell it.
  • Like 1

if cameron do like jurassic park that has revolutionary visuals but got litle improvements in the sequels and became a mediocre franchise he cold see the same happenning with avatar, but i believe he is focus in improve the visuals to the next level and dont care about the story very much, is the best way to guarantee the high box office that avatar sequels are demanding.

No. Improve the visuals AND the story are both needed for the sequels to not disappoint. Improving the visuals alone will only make a JP2: The Lost World. Improving the visuals and the story will give us Empire Stickes Back, and I see this is more likely to happen because of Cameron's tracking record on sequels.Also, people seem to forget many times the biggest reason a sequel failed is because the studio's pressure didnt let the film-maker handle it on his own will. But this is not the case on Avatar sequels. Cameron has the absolute power over everything, and he will have enough time and freedom to do whatever it takes to make 2 great sequels.

Edited by vc2002

I dont think Avatar's story is so so. It's certainly not the greatest, but imo it is the same as Titanic's: simple, but emtional. The story played a big role in its massive success. And dont forget Cameron's engaging storytelling. A film is not just about the story. It's also about how to tell it.

i agree with you but we love cameron and his films but the cinema is changing very and nowadays only fanboys movies are made the type of money that avatar sequels are needed to break and avatar are cleary not a famboy movie and like the first will need to deliver great to deserve every dollar it won, films like tdkr and tasm are breakable in the first week of release no matter how good the film are.

i agree with you but we love cameron and his films but the cinema is changing very and nowadays only fanboys movies are made the type of money that avatar sequels are needed to break and avatar are cleary not a famboy movie and like the first will need to deliver great to deserve every dollar it won, films like tdkr and tasm are breakable in the first week of release no matter how good the film are.

Avatar is definitely not a fanboy movie, but considering the fact it's the highest grossing film of all time, the sequel will be in the same position as TDKR is. It's gonna have a massive opening for sure.

No. Improve the visuals AND the story are both needed for the sequels to not disappoint. Improving the visuals alone will only make a JP2: The Lost World. Improving the visuals and the story will give us Empire Stickes Back.

i think that the type of improvements that cameron is planning for the avatar sequels are more like the impact of the first movie and he will only release the movie when he have this for sure. he is the man that cold do that for the visuals but the story will be the same thing emotionally epic but simple love it or hate it i love it.

i think that the type of improvements that cameron is planning for the avatar sequels are more like the impact of the first movie and he will only release the movie when he have this for sure. he is the man that cold do that for the visuals but the story will be the same thing emotionally epic but simple love it or hate it i love it.

Let's put it this way: the guy made arguably two of the best sequels of all time with limited source and time. Now he has unlimited source and time to make another one, so what's the odds of the sequel not delivering? I say it's close to zero. :P

i think people are bashing cameron for the fact avatar is most sucessful because of the visuals and scale than the story, its true but you can name tons of directors that can do a great complex story but no one can do a movie like avatar with 237 m , no close look at john carter, batleship, dead man chest, the avengers, only peter jackson with lotr came close .

No. Improve the visuals AND the story are both needed for the sequels to not disappoint. Improving the visuals alone will only make a JP2: The Lost World. Improving the visuals and the story will give us Empire Stickes Back, and I see this is more likely to happen because of Cameron's tracking record on sequels.Also, people seem to forget many times the biggest reason a sequel failed is because the studio's pressure didnt let the film-maker handle it on his own will. But this is not the case on Avatar sequels. Cameron has the absolute power over everything, and he will have enough time and freedom to do whatever it takes to make 2 great sequels.

just like the washowski brothers.

Let's put it this way: the guy made arguably two of the best sequels of all time with limited source and time. Now he has unlimited source and time to make another one, so what's the odds of the sequel not delivering? I say it's close to zero. :P

i agree with you, is probably that cameron can make a great sequel and big profit again, my point is if this not happen the name avatar alone wont guarantee the sucess like the name batman or spider man even the worst film of these franchises got big box office sucess, avatar is now questioning if is forgettable or not.

It really hasn't aged well, I don't know why. I mean, I talk about Titanic more than I do Avatar and that is 10 years older. Don't get me wrong, I love Avatar. I have it on blu-ray and I watch it all the time.By the way, the sequels will still be huge. You guys complaining that Avatar is forgettable and that you probably won't see the sequel, are just full of crap. I guarantee that more than half this board will watch any and all Avatar sequels within the first month of release, in theaters.