Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $35,000,000 41.1% + Foreign: $50,200,000 58.9% = Worldwide: $85,200,000

85 Million Opening DAY........800-1 Billion is very much in play WW.

Posted Image

It's ok, we still love you Tobey, you will still have all the Spidey records. lol.
Edited by filmscholar

Its a tough call. Begins was a much better film (IMO), which probably makes the marketing department's failure harder to excuse.

On second thought, its not tough at all. Definitely Begins. :lol:

In that regard, I fucking LOVE Joey Magidson's review via the BFCA website:

Overall, ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ could be the best reboot of any franchise to date (yes, I know that ‘Batman Begins’ exists…they’re 1 and 1A in my book), though time will ultimately tell in that regard. Everything you know and love about the wall crawler is still there, but it’s grounded in a bit more reality and given a different route to take going forward. Yes, it may seem like a rehash to some, and the villain isn’t exactly A-list, but these are small quibbles. I sure hope that Marc Webb stays on for the sequel, as he’s got something special here with Andrew Garfield wearing the tights. I highly recommend this summer blockbuster, as it’s a great time and offers something a bit different than usual!

Edited by iJackSparrow

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $35,000,000 41.1% + Foreign: $50,200,000 58.9% = Worldwide: $85,200,000

85 Million Opening DAY........800-1 Billion is very much in play WW.

Posted Image

It's ok, we still love you Tobey, you will still have all the Spidey records. lol.

Fucking beautiful. Ohai crying Tobey. :P

Its a tough call. Begins was a much better film (IMO), which probably makes the marketing department's failure harder to excuse.On second thought, its not tough at all. Definitely Begins. :lol:

Begins' marketing was very weak. Nickelback TV ads for God's sake. I thought Spidey had a very good marketing campaign. Saw a ton of TV ads for it. In fact, I'd say Sony was more aggressive with it 2-3 weeks before its release than WB is right now for TDKR.

Good news: Spider-Man has already sold out three shows here today and is about to sell out a fourth (all 2d). The Fourth of July gets insane matinee business down here in Miami, but I doubt the late afternoon/evening shows even do 50 tickets on account of fireworks.

Begins wasn't as anticipated cause the general public was pretty much Done with Batman. What happen was WOM spread and though it didn't sell more tickets than any of the Previous Batman, it did very well on Home Video. This is why TDK gross was so good, it wasn't just cause of Heath and his death though that did play a factor, it was cause the Home Video/TV market really helped people discover Batman Begins. But by the looks of it, TASM will do better than Begins and Superman Returns.

• Founder / Operator

Begins' marketing was very weak. Nickelback TV ads for God's sake. I thought Spidey had a very good marketing campaign. Saw a ton of TV ads for it. In fact, I'd say Sony was more aggressive with it 2-3 weeks before its release than WB is right now for TDKR.

Sony favored quantity over quality, IMO. Its not that I didn't see tons of ads, its just that they didn't know how to sell the movie. The whole "untold story" thing was a near disaster that they're fortunate to have overcome, IMHO. I genuinely wonder what would have happened had GI Joe 2 stayed where it was (and turned out to be a decent sequel) -- but that's another conversation. :P

• Founder / Operator

Begins wasn't as anticipated cause the general public was pretty much Done with Batman. What happen was WOM spread and though it didn't sell more tickets than any of the Previous Batman, it did very well on Home Video. This is why TDK gross was so good, it wasn't just cause of Heath and his death though that did play a factor, it was cause the Home Video/TV market really helped people discover Batman Begins. But by the looks of it, TASM will do better than Begins and Superman Returns.

To be fair, there's no guarantee that TASM is going to do significantly better than those films in terms of hard tickets sold. That's not a knock on it, it just is what it is. Begins and Returns adjust to $280-290m with 3D and inflation. TASM definitely sold about 33% more admissions on opening day than Begins, but neither are apples-to-apples given the holiday opening for TASM. We won't be able to make a true comparison for another few weeks at least. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Sony favored quantity over quality, IMO. Its not that I didn't see tons of ads, its just that they didn't know how to sell the movie. The whole "untold story" thing was a near disaster that they're fortunate to have overcome, IMHO. I genuinely wonder what would have happened had GI Joe 2 stayed where it was (and turned out to be a decent sequel) -- but that's another conversation. :P

The way I see it, both Warner and Sony whored the fuck out of both films. A lot of footage was released to both of them, the difference is timing for me. If this was a parallel World and instead of The Amazing Spider-Man we were getting Batman Begins, I'd be the one championing him like fucking mad and it would get a similar run to what TASM is destined to be, possibly making way more than BB did, just because the TIMING of the release is right. The Avengers fucking paved the way, the momentum for comic book films is on all time high. Sony got lucky because besides The Amazing Spider-Man been the fucking Spider-Man and what a lot of people are looking like the best Spider-Man yet, it came after The Avengers. I firmly believe that without The Avengers success, things wouldn't be looking as smooth box office wise.

Is the Spidey brand bigger than Batman? This much maligned reboot will do better than batman begins. does this prove TDKR was a fluke? it sure as hell proves many favorable factors worked in its favor

Edited by kyky

Is the Spidey brand bigger than Batman? This much maligned reboot will do better than batman begins. does this prove TDKR was a fluke? it sure as hell proves many favorable factors worked in its favor

World wide i would say yeah, Spider-Man as an edge. Domestically it's probably Batman by a very tiny margin.

Ummm... ok...

To be fair, there's no guarantee that TASM is going to do significantly better than those films in terms of hard tickets sold. That's not a knock on it, it just is what it is. Begins and Returns adjust to $280-290m with 3D and inflation. TASM definitely sold about 33% more admissions on opening day than Begins, but neither are apples-to-apples given the holiday opening for TASM. We won't be able to make a true comparison for another few weeks at least.

Good Point, the verdict is still out if it can perform better overall but the 1st day is a good sign it has a good chance to do it.

I think it proves that Spider-Man 3 wasn't as hated as Batman & Robin, and that the marketing for this was much better than Begins.Like I said last night, though, this is a pretty remarkable OD. It bodes so well for the franchise, and kind of for comic book films in general.

• Founder / Operator

World wide i would say yeah, Spider-Man as an edge. Domestically it's probably Batman by a very tiny margin.

Agreed. I'd say it alternates depending on the status of the franchise. Ten years ago, Spidey was clearly more popular domestically. Today, its easily Batman. 5-10 years from now after Nolan has left Batman behind, maybe Spidey is able to reclaim the title with another really good movie.

Well The Batman Franchise has 4 Opening Weekend Records but box office wise I'd say Yes, Spidey is a little more consistant. I think it's a wash between Spidey, Batman and Superman. Those 3 are clearly the 3 Biggest Superheros in the world. But Worldwide Spidey is by far the most popular Comic Book Character.

Yeah and Japan is a good example (Superman movies at least double every other superhero movie gross). Here in Italy SM3 made the OW record

I think it's fair to say that Begins' release was far more low key than the Amazing Spider-Man. To me, it didn't seem like Warner treated it like a proper summer tentpole but I might not be remembering right. Marketing was in a different era back then though.

Well The Batman Franchise has 4 Opening Weekend Records but box office wise I'd say Yes, Spidey is a little more consistant. I think it's a wash between Spidey, Batman and Superman. Those 3 are clearly the 3 Biggest Superheros in the world. But Worldwide Spidey is by far the most popular Comic Book Character.

Current Superman is not up there with SM and Batman maybe after MoS it will be.