lilmac

Least favorite boxoffice runs

What boxoffice run disappointed you? Either because it did better than it should have, vice versa, etc...

Norbit and Yes Man piss me off to this day. I hate it when a movie stops at the cusp of $100/$200 million. Ugh.

Other movies have gotten closer to $100m than those two but I was specifically rooting for them and it just...didn't...happen.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=norbit.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=yesman.htm

A combination of Princess and the Frog and Tangled. The two runs combined sent a message that 2D animation isn't popular anymore. Let's completely ignore the fact that Disney had been churning out crap the entirety of the 2000s*, Princess and the Frog's underperformance was attributed to 1) Hand-drawn animation, 2) Being geared towards girls, and 3) Having a black Disney princess. While I'm sure these played some role, I think it's much harder to succeed when your last 8 or so films were horrid.

Princess and the Frog wasn't a perfect movie, but it was a damn good tribute to the musicals of the 90s. It took some risks that, in my opinion, paid off.

Tangled did nothing, I repeat, nothing that other Disney films hadn't done better. Female villain? Maleficent. "I want" song? Part of Your World or Out There. Romance? Beauty and the Beast. The songs are completely forgettable, and as a fan of Alan Menken, it pains me to say that. You know its bad when Randy Newman can write more memorable songs.

I wish the two's box office grosses had been switched.

*Lilo and Stitch is the exception, but is still itself a mixed bag.

Edited by Jawa

First of all, box office flops that were great movies - Zodiac, Speed Racer, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Grindhouse, just to name a few from the past several years. Secondly, and similarly - terrible movies that made a lot of money, especially if they had decent legs - I was never really depressed about Twilight grosses, for example, but to see trainwrecks like Alice in Wonderland, TF2, first two Alvin movies make so much money was unfortunate. What has been truly infuriating me in the past several years is some of the foreign grosses - I have nothing against domestic runs of AWE & OST, 2012, PoP, Battleship etc. because the first two both declined from their predecessors, 2012 dropped like a rock and PoP flopped, yet the way international audiences ate that shit up like ice-cream sure didn't paint a very good picture of their taste. It's really ironic when you come across someone here in Russia, or in Europe calling Americans dumb for producing such terrible movies, yet 75% of their grosses comes from overseas.And thirdly, yes, I hate when movies close in on milestones only to miss them in the end, as well. It was particularly disappointing with The Social Network recently, and during those two months when Tangled was around $199m (it passed $200m in the end, of course, but only after everyone was ready to accept its failure). Gnomeo wasn't infuriating, but it was just fucking ridiculous. I'll never understand what made Disney do that, for me the best explanation is that it was just a joke from them.

• Like 2

Secondly, and similarly - terrible movies that made a lot of money, especially if they had decent legs - I was never really depressed about Twilight grosses, for example, but to see trainwrecks like Alice in Wonderland, TF2, first two Alvin movies make so much money was unfortunate. What has been truly infuriating me in the past several years is some of the foreign grosses - I have nothing against domestic runs of AWE & OST, 2012, PoP, Battleship etc. because the first two both declined from their predecessors, 2012 dropped like a rock and PoP flopped, yet the way international audiences ate that shit up like ice-cream sure didn't paint a very good picture of their taste. It's really ironic when you come across someone here in Russia, or in Europe calling Americans dumb for producing such terrible movies, yet 75% of their grosses comes from overseas.

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. In fact, I'm pissed that OS markets are becoming more and more dominant, as Hollywood flicks made for worldwide appeal usually suck, since any kind of depth in their writing may be turn-off for this or that kind of foreign audience which doesn't get particular reference or subtext due to living in a different cultural environment and as a result, said movies are pretty much bound to cater to the lowest common denominator. Also I get an impression that most foreign markets it's primarily families with children going to the movies and you can't really count on kids to have a discerning taste and not just keep slurping up one shitty sequel after the other.
  • Like 3

First of all, box office flops that were great movies - Zodiac, Speed Racer, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Grindhouse, just to name a few from the past several years. Secondly, and similarly - terrible movies that made a lot of money, especially if they had decent legs - I was never really depressed about Twilight grosses, for example, but to see trainwrecks like Alice in Wonderland, TF2, first two Alvin movies make so much money was unfortunate. What has been truly infuriating me in the past several years is some of the foreign grosses - I have nothing against domestic runs of AWE & OST, 2012, PoP, Battleship etc. because the first two both declined from their predecessors, 2012 dropped like a rock and PoP flopped, yet the way international audiences ate that shit up like ice-cream sure didn't paint a very good picture of their taste. It's really ironic when you come across someone here in Russia, or in Europe calling Americans dumb for producing such terrible movies, yet 75% of their grosses comes from overseas.And thirdly, yes, I hate when movies close in on milestones only to miss them in the end, as well. It was particularly disappointing with The Social Network recently, and during those two months when Tangled was around $199m (it passed $200m in the end, of course, but only after everyone was ready to accept its failure). Gnomeo wasn't infuriating, but it was just fucking ridiculous. I'll never understand what made Disney do that, for me the best explanation is that it was just a joke from them.

I know there was bad blood between Disney and Elton John. That would be very surprising if they stopped tracking to spite him but who knows. Edited by Clavius

I really wanted

- Unbreakable to make more $$. It was a fantastic movie and remains one of the best superhero movies out there.

- Avengers to hit 3x multiplier. Looks like it'll fall a little short.

Don't worry, TA will hit 3x. :)

Friday the 13th, there's Twilight frontloadedness, and HP frontloadedness, but F13's is fuckin' ridiculous. It made 40/66, which is just a REPULSIVE multiplier. IDK why it bothers me it just does.TF3's 97M OW. It's so close to $100M that Par. should have just PR'd it like they did 2 years back.Same with IM1's OW. $98M. PR didn't "exist" back then, but they could have fudged it a bit to get it over that magical number.These are not runs, just OW pet peeves.

Friday the 13th, there's Twilight frontloadedness, and HP frontloadedness, but F13's is fuckin' ridiculous. It made 40/66, which is just a REPULSIVE multiplier. IDK why it bothers me it just does.TF3's 97M OW. It's so close to $100M that Par. should have just PR'd it like they did 2 years back.Same with IM1's OW. $98M. PR didn't "exist" back then, but they could have fudged it a bit to get it over that magical number.These are not runs, just OW pet peeves.

Iron Man 1 was innitially estimated at $100m but you can't lie about actuals. Edited by Clavius

Deathly Hallows 2. After midnights I thought 100M OD may be coming. Nope. Then huge drop on Saturday made Sunday boring. Then huge 2nd weekend drop rendered it irrelevant.

Superman ReturnsEven though its huge under-performance at the box office gave vindication to everyone at the BOM forums who thought Pirates 2 would make more money, I would have loved to see the sequel that seemed like a foregone conclusion before Returns came out. I would have been much more excited for another Bryan Singer Superman than I am for the upcoming Zack Snyder one.