Impact

Impact's Year 3 Reviews! (Best and worse of the year on page 9)

Remember November!

November 1-3:

Bartimaeus and the Golem's Eye

"On par with the first"

This was on par with the first. The visuals were great and I really enjoyed the acting.

4.5 stars.

Go see: If your a fan of the first and want to see what happens next.

Don't see: If you never saw the first.

Small Town Store

"Some comical moments, but overall forgettable"

This had some rather funny parts I will admit. But overall it is a forgettable film. Its the type you will watch on TV someday going "I think I saw this film"

2.5 stars.

Go see: If you want some decent laughs.

Don't see: If you want to see something funnier.

Election 2000

"Okay documentary"

This doc was okay. It really was something I didn't want to watch about again. But overall it was decent.

3 stars.

Go see: If you want to know more about it.

Don't see: If your tired of it.

Jennifer: The Untold Story of My Life

"Tries hard to be great and fails"

This tries so hard to be a great film. But it fails. The acting is awful as is the writing. Just stay way.

1.5 stars.

Go see: If you want some overacting.

Don't see: If you want something good.

November 8-10:

Frosty the Snowman

"Well done"

While capturing the classic song along with the clasic short, "Frosty" got it right. Some great animation and voice work as well.

4.5 stars.

Go see: If you want a great snowman film.

Don't see: If you don't believe in Frosty!

La Follia di Gesualdo

"Great acting"

This film had some great acting. But overall it was hard to watch. Its hard to recomend this film but it still is made well.

3.5 stars.

Go see: If your looking for something diffrent.

Don't see: If you don't want a disturbing film.

Black as Night

"Well better then I thought it be"

PT Anderson is a tough sell as a director. His films can be quite long and boring. This film is a bit overlong I will admit, but the acting is really good and the sets are top notch. The script is well written as well.

5 stars!

Go see: If you want a good crime drama.

Don't see: If you want a heartwarming comedy.

Now time for the most diverse week in regards to reviews ;)

November 15-17:

Red Rabbit

"Amazing film"

This film was downright amazing. Chris Pine did a great job as Jack Ryan. The entire cast was great as well. The movie had a fantastic score also and the cinematography was amazing.

5 stars!

Go see: If you want to see one fantastic film.

Don't see: If you want to see a terrible film ;)

Assassins

"Outside of Simon Pegg, terrible film"

I was pleased to see Simon Pegg in this. But other them him this film was terrible. The rest of the cast were all awful and the film was just odd.

1 star.

Go see: If you want a disaster.

Don't see: If you want some peace and quiet.

Impact's riding the Jack Ryan train! B)So it's safe enough to say that my next Clancy film (for Year 6) will be a go given the strong reception so far. That one will adapt the novel The Cardinal in the Kremlin, which in many ways functions as a direct sequel to Red Rabbit (which is actually a Ryan prequel written like 15 years after TCitK but whatever) since it stars Ryan and the Foleys with more Soviet antics.I'm skipping over Hunt for Red October, which chronologically comes between Red Rabbit and Cardinal, because that movie's the best Clancy film out there and I'm gonna respect it and leave it be. Cardinal's plot might have 1-2 throwaway references to the events of that novel just for fun's sake.

Who will play James Earl Jones character?

I'm probably not going to cast someone for that role, mainly because there really isn't anyone who can fit the role better and there aren't many options out there for a 60-ish African-American. His character was in Red Rabbit (Greer) for a few scenes and he'll probably have the same amount of screentime in Cardinal.

Denzel Washington is in his late 50s.I do find it funny that Morgan Freeman played his character in Sum of All Fears when he is probably only about 5 years younger then him.

November 22-24:

CHERUB 1.0

"Fun spy film"

With a title like this you expect a sci fi or something (actual Cherubs are suppose to be strong actually not weak cute creatures). Though it is not as good as last week's Red Rabbit this still is pretty good. The acting is great. But as a side note-how is Christopher Nolan attached to all these films?

4 stars.

Go see: If you want to see another spy film.

Don't see: If you have not seen Red Rabbit or if your tired of these spy films now.

Fifty Shades of Gray

"Terrible, but this has a audience"

This is a terrible film, but like Magic Mike and Twilight this has a audience. The script is poorly written and the acting is bad.

1 star.

Go see: If you like these type of films.

Don't see: If your a guy. Really-try to wesel out of it!

November 27-December 1:

Planeswalkers: A New World

"All talk, not a lot of action"

I was hoping this fantasy would have more action but it does not. I was disapointed, it was a lot of talking. The music was nice though.

2.5 stars.

Go see: If you want a boring fantasy film.

Don't see: If you want the next LOTR, heck the next Narnia or HP even.

The Bride, The Groom, and The Priest

"Gasp, a funny film with Adam Sandler"

Here is something you have not heard in years I bet-a funny film with Adam Sandler. Will Ferrell is a riot in this as well. The film is pretty funny and well thought out.

4 stars.

Go see: If your looking for the next comedy.

Don't see: If you want a drama.

Thane of the Flies

"Macbeth in Space! And it Works!"

This worked. A MacBeth in space. Featuring an amazing all star cast as well. The film was a nice surprise I will admit. Not the best film but still fun.

4 stars.

Go see: If you want to see a twist on a story.

Don't see: If your a litature nut who hates the single change.

Love in Poitiers

"Some pretty good acting in this"

With this I thought it be a overlong boring drama. Though it was under 2 hours and had some great acting. And I was pleased with how it turned out. The sets are nice too.

4 stars.

Go see: If you want some great acting.

Don't see: If you want a more long boring film.

I expected better reviews for Planeswalkers. Damn, I knew a MTG project will will be a tough nut to crack. Hopefully the audience will love the first and the final battle in the film and care for the characters, so the sequel can be made to improve the story.

December 6-8

Hercule Poirot’s Christmas

"Pretty good"

It is very very rare to see a good film the week after Thanksgiving as this this when they dump everything. But they did this time. The film is not as good as Death on the Nile or as Murder on the Orient Express but it still is pretty good. I was shocked it was just rated PG. Still a fun film. Kind of wish they had someone more known in the film, but you can't win it all. The score was great.

4 stars.

Go see: If you want a murder mystery for the family...wait....

Don't see: If you did the crime!

December 13-15:

SpellForce: Breath of Winter

"Amazing sequel"

I really loved the first Spellforce. This is just as good. The visuals were amazing and I loved the score. The performances were pretty good as well. This is just a really well made fantasy. Probably one of the best fantasies I've seen in a while.

4.5 stars.

Go see: If you want to see a classic in the making.

Don't see: If you have yet to see the first.

Leitmotif

"Great perfromances"

This film had really good performances. While it is no Walk the Line, the film is still well made. Cruise is amazing in his part in this film. Great cast also.

4 stars.

Go see: If you want some fine performances.

Don't see: If you want to see some bad performances.

Almost done!

December 20-22:

Dodge City

"Fantastic"

This film was fantastic. The entire cast was top notch. Urban did a great job. Really enjoyed seeing Tom Selleck in action, he was great in this also. The camera work was great and the score was something else. I never thought the Coens could come close to True Grit, but they did. Bravo.

5 stars

Go see: If you want to see one of the best of the year.

Don't see: If you rather see a bad film.

The Morrow II

"On par with the first"

I didn't think Morrow was the best film on the planet like some, but I thought it was good still. The camera work was my biggest gripe with the film. Still the film was made well enough and the cast was great in it. Overall a fun ride.

4.5 stars.

Go see: If you were craving for a new sci fi.

Don't see: If your tired of them.